19richie66

Any ideas as to what this is?

19richie66

Picked up this one today out of a yard. No numbers. Appears to be a 8 hp kohler? Mounted on a raised engine plate, no cushions. Just wondering as its all there but some of its really rusty. Thanks, Richie

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

rmaynard

My guess is that it is a 1973 8HP 4-Speed. 

• Like 2

scotty

What size are the rear tires they look like 8 inch rim it looks like a one gallon gas tank on it. Im going to guess a commando 800. Also appears to have brake and clutch in one.

Edited by scotty

19richie66

10" rear rims, plastic tank. I believe clutch and brake are the same

scotty

Yeah commando 800s had 10 inch rims thats my best guess.

19richie66

Thanks guys. That is what my friend thought it was also. Seat pan, fender, and side panels are really rusted. tranny seams stuck,tie rods are shot but the motor spins, hood is ok. steering wheel is mint as is the seat cover believe it or not. might end up parting it to save my others. Not sure yet.

woodchuckfarmer
800 commando, 1972 it think      Just refurbished one last summer.       Wayne

bds1984

Don't part her out! Power wash her and a little elbow grease will have her going in no time!

muz123

B-80?

Tankman

Not a B-80. Looks like a Commando, early 70's.

Had one years ago, removed the snow dozer, sold the Horse. Yep 10" rear wheels.

• Like 1

clueless

Rich, looks like you found my old B80.
Chris.

slammer302

commando 800

scotty

Ive never seen a b-80 with 10 inch rear rims or a clutch brake in one pedal unless someone did modifications?

Racinbob

Definitely a 1972 Commando 800 (1-0110). That's what I restored for my grandson. Upgraded the rears to 22 7.50-12's off a 76 B series.

Edited by Racinbob

rmaynard

​Well, I was looking at the pictures way too early in the morning without coffee, and I agree that it is not a '73 8 4, or B-80. I now notice that it has tach-a-matic hitches, a tach-a-matic mule drive, clutch/brake combo, missing the old style PTO rod assembly. The 10" rear and 6" front rims were standard on the Commando 800.

I think @scotty hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

19richie66

Well I pressure washed it and this is all that was left.:D Trust me it was a lot worse than the pictures led on. It would take too much elbow grease and a lot of sheet metal to get this one back to life. However, there are mechanical parts on this one that I was missing on some of my others. Now I have a spare tranny to rebuild,two good back tires and a decent hood should I need one.

image.jpg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3

WHX??

I don't know Ritchie I probaly would have saved it......looks like most of the parts are there, then again I have been known to make some real stupid decisions when it comes to Wine, Women & Wheels Horses......guess I am just a glutton for punishment.......nice find anyway.

• Like 1

19richie66

Problem is I have 8 others that need to be saved..................:auto-ambulance:

bmsgaffer

Its also probably a case of the pictures on here make it look better to us than it really was... (an excellent problem for the restorer, bad problem for a buyer!)

I look pretty good from 30' away too! :ychain:

Racinbob

​Well, I was looking at the pictures way too early in the morning without coffee, and I agree that it is not a '73 8 4, or B-80. I now notice that it has tach-a-matic hitches, a tach-a-matic mule drive, clutch/brake combo, missing the old style PTO rod assembly. The 10" rear and 6" front rims were standard on the Commando 800.

I think @scotty hit the nail on the head.

​I guess this is as good a place as any to post some findings. I always thought the Commando 800 (not talking the Commando 8) was made in 72 only. Well, there's conflicting information but what's new with Wheel Horse. The Commando 800 (1-0110) was a brochure model only in 72. In 73 they had a no name 8hp 8-speed which had the 8" fronts and 12" rears. They also had a 8hp 4-speed (1-0130) which had the 6" fronts and 10" rears and looks to be exactly like the 72 Commando 800. The model list by year shows that 73 had a Commando 800 with a Kohler and a 8hp 4-speed with a Tecky (that looks wrong). Now which is correct? Who knows but I tend to believe that the brochure was correct. 73 was the no-name year and there's no mention of 'Commando' in the brochure. So, with that in mind I'd say a 73 8hp 4-speed could be correct. Without the model # we'll never know.

Edited by Racinbob

gwest_ca

I think what confuses us is that the Commando 800 production continued for the European market in 1973 models 1-0120 and 1-0130, 1974 model 1-0140 and 1975 model 1-0141. On this side of the pond they were 8hp 4-Speed and B-80 4-Speed models.

Garry

Changed the model numbers and years to reflect new info

Edited by gwest_ca

snorky 29

Hi ,I'm also a bit confused about my model tractor, i,m in the UK i picked up what was identified by the decals as a commando 800 (3 forward 1 reverse)
but the tag plate which is attached by its original rivets has the model number as 1-0140 and a Belgium ID ....this model is on TORO as a B80 1974 

my tractor has clutch (left side) brake (right side) no ammeter ...12" rims 

Any suggestions 

Neil 

gwest_ca

Hi ,I'm also a bit confused about my model tractor, i,m in the UK i picked up what was identified by the decals as a commando 800 (3 forward 1 reverse)
but the tag plate which is attached by its original rivets has the model number as 1-0140 and a Belgium ID ....this model is on TORO as a B80 1974 

my tractor has clutch (left side) brake (right side) no ammeter ...12" rims 

Any suggestions 

Neil 

​This makes perfect sense. I knew there was a 1973 and a 1975 Commando 800 so must have been a 1974 model also and you have it. Learn something new every day.

Your Belgium serial number somewhere between 139xxx and 151xxx?

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

snorky 29

it is 136814

Neil

gwest_ca

it is 136814

Neil

​Thanks for posting the serial number. Serial 131365 is a Belgium 1973 serial so your 136814 is fairly early in the 1974 model year.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca