P3x

Secure 520 Throttle Lever Knob

P3x

Finally had to replace the throttle cable after re-driving the rivet too many times in order to tighten the friction and maintain max RPM.  Purchased a new throttle knob as well cleaned the lever and knob slits with MEK and installed using Red RTV. 

It lasted maybe 2 weeks and now continually loosens on the lever.  Not really a big deal but gets to be a pain in the azz.

Could use an epoxy/super glue type adhesive but would rather not to aid in future removal.  Have tried different RTV types with the old knob/cable and seemed to always work loose over time. Any suggestions?

Thank you!  

p3x

JonOfMassachusetts

I replaced the cable and knob as well. You likely haven't seated the knob fully. It needs to be pushed all the way to the "shoulder"of the shaft. I used a hammer with a block of wood to coax it in to place.

P3x

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the tip.  Cleaned up the surfaces applied a little RTV and seated with a rawhide mallet. 
Will check the next time I have it out. If the knob stays put and does not come off in my hand another quirk resolved!

Thank you!

p3x

PaulC

My 312-h started to do this and squeezing the rivet did nothing. I ended up drilling out the rivet and replacing it with a 1/4-20 bolt bronze washers in between everything and two nylock nuts. Had to install the bronze washers and second nylock as a jam nut because the regular washers kept grabbing and loosening the nut. I fought with it for quite a while but this setup I describe got it back to being just right and this setup allows you to fine tune the tension on the lever.

I agree its not the biggest deal but is quite the P.I.T.A.

• Excellent 1

P3x

Agreed - a PITA.  Squeezed/re-drove the rivet several times and did the trick.  But found a new throttle cable for a good price on eBay and decided to just replace it.  I'm figuring it will last another 15-20 or so years without having to touch it.

Hopefully the knob coming off the throttle lever at the most inopportune time is solved and another two PITAs down!

p3x

WildHorses

Drill out the pivot point with a 1/4” drill bit and use a 1/4-20 bolt with a lock nut and the problem is fixed for cheap. New throttle cables can loosen and have the same issue in a short period of time depending on the quality and placement of the rivet.