chorusguy

rear axle seals c-160 auto

chorusguy

I need to replace the rear axle seals so am looking for a bit of information. 
1.  Current number for seals.
2.  Half moon key numbers or dimensions
 3. Where can I find the special (I think it is an 8 point socket) for the set screws. 

Thanks

rmaynard

Set screw on the hub can be loosened with a 3/8" open end wrench and a 9/16" for the jamb nut.
The seal is # 6449 (Toro) and it crosses to a SKF 11124 at your local auto part store.
The Woodruff key is Toro # 937022

Edited by rmaynard

squonk

If you want the socket you can order the correct 8 pt socket from Napa. Be careful on the key size.. I bought a 73 12 from the original owner who swears that no axle work was ever done. The tractor had 2 different size keys..

chorusguy

Thanks for the great into.  Ordered parts today.  I do have another question.  I have never worked with anything like the set screws on the hub.  So as silly as this seems, which do I loosen first.  The actual set screw or the secondary nut that is flush with the hub.

rmaynard

Nut first, set screw second.

chorusguy

Thanks for all the good information on this repair.  The hub came off easily due to the leaking rear seal and, as I later discovered, a cracked hub.  No damage to the axle, woodruff key. Slight raised area on the edge of the keyway at the back.  special thanks to rmaynard for a quick replacement hub.  also I am grateful for the idea of using my old hub as a hub puller since I had to remove the new hub a couple of times.  I hadn't filed the bump on the keyway enough.  Anyway hub and tire are mounted. Not slipping. Not leaking.  Not lurching.  Changed hydro oil and engine oil and took it for a little spin til the bottom dropped out.  If only the c160 could float.

Thanks again

rustykan

Definitely get the 8pt socket. It makes a world of difference. I couldn't keep mine tight until I got that socket!