stockwood

Kohler K engine stops running after 21 minutes.

stockwood

Hi Fellas, brand new member here. A friend told me about this site and it couldn't be more timely. I have a model 875 tractor that I have been using regularly for the past 6 years. Last fall it started to run badly which did not suprise me, just thinking it was time for a tune up. I replaced points, condensor, coil and spark plug. I also replaced the fuel pump and inline fuel filter.. I only ran it for about 15 minutes after the tune up and it ran fine. I then put it away for the winter.This spring I discovered it runs fine for 21 minutes.{you can set your watch by it} and then it will start to falter and quit!  After letting it sit for an hour it will start right up and your good for another 21 minutes. I first thought it was a fuel problem like a vapor lock, but I can see liquid fuel in the clear filter flowing. I'm assuming it is a heat related issue. I never had this problem before I replaced components. Could it be a vapor lock at the carb?  I also notice a little vapor that seems to come from the points cover. I was just thinking the gasket is not sealing as well since I had it off.  Its hard to tell if the engine is overheating. Sometimes I think it is running hotter, but then I think its just my imagination.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer on this problem.  Tim

rmaynard
:WRS:

Check your gas cap. The vent will clog causing the gas to stop flowing.

boovuc

Also, check if your coil is hot. (Not with your bare hand).
During one of it's "spats", have tools handy and as soon as it shuts down, pull the spark plug and check your spark. Compare it to the spark you have when it's cold. No spark or a very weak spark can eliminate a fuel issue. Good spark and you can concentrate more on a fuel issue.
If you replaced your plug with a Champion, consider looking for the Autolite equivalent. (I won't buy Champions anymore due to issues like you are having.

• Like 2

slovinski

It may also be time for a new spark plug wire,  that fixed my 855 when it was doing that about 10 yrs ago. 2x on the spark plug problem to.  Also may want to make sure your tins are free from debris.

rmaynard

Best way to test for a clogged gas cap vent is as soon as the engine starts to die, open the cap. If the engine keeps running, or starts right up again, you have found the problem. 

• Like 3

stockwood

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried cleaning the fuel cap and left it loose and it ran for about 45 minutes. The air temperature was only in the 50s so I'm not sure if it has do with the fuel cap or temperature, but it seems promising that may have cured it. This weekend it will be hot ,, in the mid 80s  , so that will be the true test.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I think you found the problem. 50 degrees or 80 degrees....not much difference to your engine. :)

• Like 1

skrusins

Gas is vaporizing. Install an electric fuel pump and your problem will be solved.

Racinbob

By the way Stockwood, welcome to the forum. Stick around, it's a fun and informative place. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Fordiesel69

I am leaning towards a bad coil.  Mine would do exactly that.

stevasaurus

Yep, put the old coil back on and try that.  You may also have bought a bad condenser...if it is not the coil, try putting on the old condenser.  Do one thing at a time.  :)

MAH

All good suggestions. If you ran the tractor for 45 minuets without any issues by cleaning/leaving the cap loose search no farther. If you lost your keys and found them, you wouldn't keep looking for it so leave it alone unless you have more issues then dig a little deeper. A lot of times fiddling with many things at once will only get confusing and you will never know what the cause really was, not to mention it may cause other issues and more frustrations. There are a lot of great guys willing to help you out on here if you get stuck.

If you do ever remove a spark plug to check for spark, keep it away from the hole you removed it from, spark + fuel air mixture equals flame. Not to mention you may have to clean your shorts afterwards :-). And be careful, coils have a nasty bite so make sure you have it grounded good. Or even better go to your local auto supply store and they should have a test spark.  It looks kind of like a spark plug but has an alligator clip so you can ground it, just have to remove the wire and you don't have to worry about either of those two conditions. another way is to buy an inexpensive inductive timing light and you will know right away what you are loosing if you run the tractor and know when it is about to shut off. 

• Like 1