whtractors24

value of this machine ?

stevebo

IMO the right buyer who wants it is the guy that grew up with that model or is the the year he was born etc. I do not believe the majority of collectors are looking for an NOS Raider. The average user will not pay big money for a worker so as long as your patient the right guy will step up and you will make money on the deal. Being a collector myself I personally like the roundhoods up to 64' then the blackhoods and 300-500 series. 

Shuboxlover

Profit or not, it is ONE SEEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXYYYYYYY tractor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love everything about it!!!!!!!!

I am jealous!!!

• Like 2

pfrederi

I guess I am a Wheel Horse "User" not a collector.  All my horses have assigned jobs...some only a couple times a year  but they all work and get dirty. I have  no use for a trailer queen.  

• Like 3

WHX??

Ok...Food for thought, since this tractor is as new as they come, why wouldn't it bring the owner as much as a new comparable one of any make? This horse maybe even being worth more than a tractor built nowadays since it has real steel it it and was built to last?

whtractors24

I think you will do better on trades, from a WH guy who really wants it, the market is to narrow. If it was a 420 or a 520-8 if would be different. You may get insulted by monetary offers. Your major selling point is the nos factor, hopefully you have documentation. Good luck what ever you decide. It sure is pretty!

​that's what I would consider is trades I love to see what's out there and what could possibly come my way!

shallowwatersailor

This is strictly hypothetical so actually is more food for thought. But that said, using the inflation factor on the US dollar, I came up with a price in 2015 for a Raider 14 of approximately $5,736.89. The way I reached this was through a 1964 Wheel Horse price list and using a model 1055 as the example which was $754.95. I then calculated that cost to 1972 which was $1004.15. That was then entered to become 2015 dollars of $5,736.89. If someone has the list price for a Raider 14 that would be great and could actually place a price for "today's dollars." That is way less than the other more sought after Wheel Horse models as in the 420LSE and the low-hour 520-H.

The trouble is in today's economy no one pays list price the way it was back in the '70s. I bought four vehicles in the 70's and it wasn't until the fourth in 1978 that I was able to buy for slightly less than the MSRP.  Today most consumers would expect close to 20% off so that would be $4589.51. One could buy for example a 2015 Simplicity Broadmoor for that and have more horsepower with a larger deck. Ooh - but there is the retro-look factor though. New Holland found out the hard way on that with the Boomer 8N that looked like a Ford N series. Many languished on dealer lots for longer than expected.

Someone who was born in 1972 may like a tractor that is as old as they are. My interest is having a tractor from every decade I've been around. For example, for the year I was born i have a 1951 tractor that cost me $50.00 and then put another $250.00 into. That satisfies my urge.

• Like 5

Racinbob

Ok...Food for thought, since this tractor is as new as they come, why wouldn't it bring the owner as much as a new comparable one of any make? This horse maybe even being worth more than a tractor built nowadays since it has real steel it it and was built to last?

​NOS or not, it's still 43 years old. In the throw-away society we live in today I don't think most folks see and/or appreciate quality. They look at the shiny toys at Lowes or Home Depot with more horsepower under the hood and aren't willing to pay more for a 43 year old machine then what they can buy a brand new one for. All of us here on this forum know better but let's face it, we're a minority in the big picture. We all know that this tractor will outlast numerous big box lawnmowers but trying to convince somebody who doesn't understand is quite a task.

• Like 3

AMC RULES
I see many in the "throw away society we live in today"...
who believe the profit of the flip is the only true value of any 
:wh:

truckin88

​I have flipped wheel horses to keep my hobby going and not use other funds. I have made profit and lost money on horses many times. I just like to tinker and fix things, I can only hold 2 tractors at most at any time. This tractor is not one I would buy to flip. First I use my machines, so this wouldn't be for me, but it needs to be in a collection with a show room or barn, there are many examples of awesome barns on here, like Stevebo's, RickyV's old on etc. A collector like that.

Edited by truckin88
  • Like 1

whtractors24

Edited by whtractors24

whtractors24

​thanks craig,
                     I didn't post this for your negative input don't like what you see please move on no need to sit and harp. have good day!

AMC RULES
Did some part of my post offend you Jason? 

whtractors24
Did some part of my post offend you Jason? 

​no buddy it did not :) I don not let tractors hurt my feelings this is just a hobby / fun for me lets be real!

clip

From a practical standpoint, worth as much as anything else with the same size deck out there today. From a collector standpoint, don't know. 

I do know it pains me to see this tractor parked in the yard and not getting used.

• Like 2

steve k

Are those the original Tires?      The reason I said $1000 is because it will be a tough sell.   Lets start with the people that just want a lawn mower,  they can go to lowes or even a dealer and use a credit card and these people will not see the value in it.   Next are the folks that want a heavy duty worker tractor and have money to spend!!   They can buy a new Deere or the like with a warranty from a company still in business, they will not see the value in a 40 year old machine.  That leaves tractor collectors. Now of those, let's find the ones that would be willing to drop some coin on that tractor just to have it sit somewhere, because many collectors wouldn't feel right about working a machine that nice!     So your left with a collector who is willing to buy a tractor for a sizable amount just to have a conversation piece.....     If someone had the means to do that wouldn't they buy a rare model? 

I think the tractor is beautiful,  no doubt, looks like it should be in a museum, I just believe it will be hard to ACTUALLY  find someone willing to pay $2500 and up,  many claim it is worth that but how many would really pay it?   Not trying to be insulting just a little skeptical thats all.
Steve

• Like 2

Shuboxlover

Food for thought......And I would venture a guess that many more here would agree with this following statement (other than the tractor model) When the time comes for me to finally pony up and buy one of the tractors on my bucket list (1956 RJ) I really don't care what ANYONE (except for maybe my wife :) ) thinks of what I paid for it.  I REALLY want one and would probably pay too much for it, but I would be totally fine with it.

If I had the money and REALLY wanted one, I would buy that Raider!

• Like 1

clueless

I'm thinking around $4800.

new2horses

It is worth exactly what the buyer and seller can agree on and not one cent more.

• Like 1

Racinbob

You peeked clueless. :ychain:

scotty

Its a nice machine. But i like working on the tractors and making them look nice again and become functional. That's why I'm into them. Hard to name a price on one like that.

Save Old Iron

Someone who was born in 1972 may like a tractor that is as old as they are.

​Someone born in 1972 is likely less than half way thru a 30 year mortgage and is getting ready to put 2 and  1/2 kids thru college. Probably a good time to buy that 40+ year old tractor and get the mid life crisis all tee'd up.

• Like 3

WHX??

The guys that want to work that tractor do have a point, it's all about a workin machine.... I would probaly work it as well..... in a 7/4 parade all decorated up in R/W&B :USA: pulling a wagon full of smiling kids throwing candy at other smiling kids, ok.....maybe a couple of round hoods in front and it back of it ..... me personally that is what having a show piece like that is all about. The tractor(s) and the smiles are priceless......

• Like 1

papaglide

Save Old Iron, you mean that I have to pay  my kid's way thru college? Damn, I will now have to cancel those loans that he got so that I can go in debt not him! 

• Like 1

RedRanger

It's already on Ebay.  I'd be tempted to buy it just to mow with it.  That tractor is beggin' to be worked.

• Like 1

clip

Kind of a shame to drive all that way just to turn it over that fast. What'd it take, a week?

• Like 2