JeffreyLKY

1960 Suburban with K91 Throttle Help

JeffreyLKY

Hi guys...not sure exactly where to post this, but if there is anyone who can show me a few photos of how a 1960 Suburban throttle cable should be installed, or how you have it?  I don't have any bracketry, and I'm not sure what I am looking for.  I am missing the choke cable and lever, but the throttle and cable are present.  I appreciate any help anyone can offer.  Thank you!!

clueless

Jeff, can't help you,but I would also like some photos of a 1960 burbs throttle and choke cable installed. Also a 1961 burbs cables installed. 

Chris in Florida.

Racinbob

In 1960 they used a setup like this. The hood gets sandwiched between the top plate and the gray bracket through the rectangular cutout. The throttle is connected with a typical cable. The choke with a rod. I've got a picture of one connected up someplace but I can't find it. The engine kill was simple pulling the throttle all the way back to ground it out. It was pretty iffy. I'll be using a kill switch.:)

Controls Complete.JPG

The 61's used push/pull controls.

Edited by Racinbob

Racinbob

I found it!!!!

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Racinbob
duplicate picture

JeffreyLKY

LOL Racinbob...I appreciate the photos and description.  I was actually needing an image of the throttle cable and how it attached to the motor, but was able to locate a complete tractor and see it in person yesterday.  Thanks for sharing the simple choke install though...never actually seen one hooked up!  Thanks again!

Brian33

Racinbob do you know where I can find a throttle cable or a part number to go by for the 1960 suburban?

Racinbob

The part number is 3648 but I would be amazed if you found one. It's very simple to make one. I had one on the shelf with the black covering and just cut it to length. :)

WHX??

Yes they are easy to make Brian, I took an old one off a 520 that the end was broke and cut it to length.  Maybe this would help

• Like 1

Skeeters65
On May 27, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Racinbob said:

In 1960 they used a setup like this. The hood gets sandwiched between the top plate and the gray bracket through the rectangular cutout. The throttle is connected with a typical cable. The choke with a rod. I've got a picture of one connected up someplace but I can't find it. The engine kill was simple pulling the throttle all the way back to ground it out. It was pretty iffy. I'll be using a kill switch.:)

Controls Complete.JPG

The 61's used push/pull controls.

Does anyone sell these as an aftermarket piece?

Racinbob

I don't think so. I made the levers from flat stock and knobs from Glen Pettit. The plate was pitted bad so I flipped it over and used a decal from Terry. The bottom bracket was just cleaned up and painted.:)

• Like 1

wallfish

@rwilson had made some in the past but that was a while ago. Saw him at the show and he still has some material leftover so maybe a PM to him might get a set made. Originals are expensive because there are not too many around.

Walleye

I found this thread while searching for info on throttle cables, since I am starting from scratch with no idea. Thought I would share.. I have 2 sources for Suburban throttle reproduction assemblies. 

There is a guy in central Ohio who makes them - he is actually half an hour from me, but I had already ordered an assembly from the other source - so I do not know of the quality or price. 

The other guy, in Michigan, charges $90+shipping. The majority of the assembly is stainless steel, and he will engrave your serial number on the plate. I did not know my original serial number, so I went with my nephew's birthdate since I am building my Suburban for him.

If anyone is ever interested in these, PM me for contact info. I did not ask either guy about sharing or passing their info on, so I will not post it publicly. 

How long of a piece of throttle cable do I need for my K91 throttle cable? Any suggestions on the choke rod?

received_1436948969658060.jpeg

received_1437717369581220.jpeg

• Like 2

Walleye

Can anyone post more pictures of their suburban throttle and choke cables? Any pictures or details about the cables that you can share would be appreciated! 

953 nut
20 minutes ago, Walleye said:

Can anyone post more pictures of their suburban throttle and choke cables? Any pictures or details about the cables that you can share would be appreciated! 

Post #4 of this thread should do the trick.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Here's a shot of mine. The choke is connected with a rod. You pull back on the lever to choke it. That seems somewhat backwards to me but that's how it was done. The throttle cable is looped to come up to the linkage on the governor.

DSCN0630.thumb.JPG.4fe8a8dffef8a354a455a59a4f70e26d.JPG

• Like 3

Walleye

Thank you @Racinbob. I was actually curious more about the right side and how you have the throttle cable looped.

Is there anything that holds the sleeve of the throttle cable fixed in place to the engine? I assume the sleeve is .25" OD, with a single strand throttle cable?

I tried to use a cable but it was a smaller OD and slides in my throttle assembly, but also seems to move too much. 

wallfish

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5537503113e3d127153212569d03aea6.jpg

• Like 2

Walleye

Thank you! I knew I had it wrong. My engine doesn't appear to have that throttle bracket so I was trying to connect my throttle cable direct to the throttle shaft on the carb. 

wallfish

The bracket is pretty simple design to make one.

OR, You can make a simple L bracket attached to the engine mounting bolt and the attach the conduit to that.

It needs to be secured on both ends so the cable inside will slide through it, otherwise the whole thing moves and doesn't do what it's supposed to.

You want it connected to the governor system so the engine adjusts RPM to load conditions and doesn't over rev.

Walleye

Thanks Wallfish! I found that bracket in the basket of K90 parts that came with the tractor. I got it installed but I'm still having a little difficulty with this. :( 

No matter how I set the speed control disc or where my throttle cable connects to it, I get a max of 3/4" between idle and full throttle. However, the throttle lever assembly has close to 1.5" of movement between idle and full, so when they are connected, when the engine would be at wide open, the throttle assembly is only 1/2 throttle. I'm hoping to find someone local who has a Suburban so that I can go look it over. 

Edited by Walleye

wallfish

There is probably enough rotation on that disc to add enough tension to the governor spring for the engine to run at full throttle even though the lever itself doesn't travel the maximum it's designed to go. That engine is not a Wheel Horse spec engine so some minor parts are different like the speed control disc. To get better throttle control of the engine speed and have the full motion on the lever, the cable needs to be connected on the disc farther away from the center. WH spec'd engines had a small arm on the disc which accomplished this. Kind of like the one pictured below taken from an ad on ebay. The Z bend of the cable would connect to the arm, the farther from center it is, the more the cable has to move to accomplish the same amount of rotation. Make sense?

BUT if you just want the throttle to move the full distance, this can also be accomplished by moving the attachment point for the cable at the lever, CLOSER to the pivot point.

Or, weld a small tab with holes on your disc

Or buy the one on ebay

Just throwing out some options for you to consider.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.913b0fff25d9227ca44c332115b4927a.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

Walleye

Wallfish, thank you!!! I did a little calculus (who am I kidding, I don't remember calculus) but that speed disc is exactly what I need. I measured mine, scaled it to the pictures of the one in the ebay listing, and that tab extends the radius of the throttle cable hole roughly .85" out to 1.45", which would give me an arc length of 1.75" at 68.75° (the angle from the drive pin to a tab on my wheel).

Think I'll buy one for the K91 I'm keeping, and make the 2nd for the K90 that I'm selling.