charging10

trimming onions ?

charging10

I planted my onions a month ago and they all shot up like weeds,now a lot of them fell over already,someone said I can trim them down to about 4inches high, its better for them and they will grow bigger,has anyone tried this?

Factory Dog

Nope, I have never heard of that practice.  I might try it on a few of them just to see what happens.  The tops will go good in scrambled eggs!!

Lane Ranger

Charging 10 :  I have never done this practice on onions but we have enough this year we may try it.

Here is what I found on the web in the gardenstew site.

http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/top-my-onions-to-force-better-bulb-formation.19574/

1.       Yes, apparently you can

Hi Weeds N Seeds,

I'd never heard about anyone successfully clipping the toppings. But when I read your post I made a little research, and apparently you can trim the tops - and help the bulbs to grow better.

It's a little bit surprising because, as Mart also mentioned, the bulbs only grow while the leaves are growing. And onions can easily be injured.

When you trim the tops you just grasp the leaves and cut them with a sharp scissor about four inches from the point where the onion enters the soil. Then you should just repeat this procedure regularly, in order to keep the leaves at about four inches.

According to some gardeners this trimming helps the bulb to grow better and bigger. And, most important, it should prevent the onions from running to seed!

You should of course follow all the other, usual advice on how to cultivate the onion. But I suppose you know all that.

:idea: If you're in doubt, you could always test the pruning procedure on a couple of your onions, and observe what's happening. But it can of course be a little bit difficult because the bulb is covered with earth and manure. On the other hand, if in any case you fear that the onions are going to seed, it might be worth a try.

Again, I haven't tried this myself. But, as I just said, it might be worth a try. Hope this helps a bit!

Best,
Anette

Edited by Lane Ranger

charging10

thanks for the info ,I think ill try it

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I am going to try it also.  They say you need to keep about 4 inches of green on top and  cut to 4  during the growth  throughout the season to make this work.