John Galt

Has anyone done a gt14 diesel swap

John Galt

I'm kicking around the idea of swapping my kohler 321 k 14 horse power motor for a diesel engine. Haven't figured out why my motor won't fire up. My thinking is if I have to drop a few hundred bucks on my old kohler engine, it might just be better to get a new one without spark problems.  I was wondering if anyone else has done that swap in a gt14 and open to any thoughts on the subject. It is a working tractor. Or it use to be.

Stigian

I have never tried it but a diesel powered Gt-14 sounds a great idea :thumbs:

callum12

a diesel GT14 would be amazing! there is a guy on youtube that has made a diesel sears. he used a Chinese clone engine though.
If i was to do it I would go all out and use either a Lister LT1 or LD1 (lister later became petter). they also the the Lister LT1 in a 2 6 cylinder format as well. I reckon if you could squeeze a 3 cylinder in there it would become my favourite wheel horse of all time as it would sound like a full size vintage tractor!
here is the 3 cylinder, might be  bit big though:
lister-petter-3-cylinder-eng70ece144-1_z

the newer  LT1 stater motor can be installed on these:

diesel-engine-single-drum-air-cooled-577

the older LD1 not sure about starter motors:
hqdefault_zpspsatwuip.jpg

I might have got a bit carried away here! :) sorry!
callum

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT
 I HAVE DONE A 417-8 AND A 1054 TO DIESEL. I HAVE A GT-14 AND WILL DO THAT NEXT.
  • Like 2

John Galt

Saltywright, What diesel engine did you use? What differences in performance do you notice? With the problems of ethanol and gas becoming stale it might be a better alternative if it's cost effective. I need my tractors to work.

SALTYWRIGHT

HI.....I USED THE CHINA KNOCK OFF. A 10 H/P IN THE 417-8. A 6 H/P IN THE 1054. I WILL PUT A 10 H/P IN THE GT-14. I NEVER FELT I NEEDED MORE POWER. IN 1974 I PUT A 6 CYL. DIESEL IN MY CORVETTE BECAUSE OF THE GAS SHORTAGE. THE LAST BOAT I WAS CAPT. ON HAD 2 860 H/P DIESELS.     RUSS

callum12

thats what this guy used on youtube with his sears, i think the diesels run slower so to produce 10hp they actually make more torque? (something like that anyway)
callum

953 nut
 I HAVE DONE A 417-8 AND A 1054 TO DIESEL. I HAVE A GT-14 AND WILL DO THAT NEXT.

:banana-gotpics:    have you posted these?

SALTYWRIGHT

MY DIESELS RUN 3600 R.P.M.

shallowwatersailor

On Sunday I installed a Tiny Tach Diesel Tachometer/Hour Meter on my DC-105. This is the new version that has a flash memory and is connected to tractor's battery instead of the old internal battery with a five year life span. I can now install an ammeter in place of the old hour meter.

I had originally bought it to install on the 523Dxi but realized that the Carol Stream 10 hp diesel uses an injector pump as well. The inducer (6 mm size) is installed on a straight portion of the fuel line. Because I am still breaking the engine in, I was curious as to the rpm I have been using. The manual recommends to not run at high rpm until twenty hours of use. It has 6-1/2 hrs on the engine so far. Because it counts the pulses with the transducer, I can't add the other six hours like a gas version hour meter though. While breaking the engine in, I try to make three passes up and down my street which take approximately 1/2 hour! Pretty boring at this point and wish there was a youngster around to do it. My dog has trouble with the clutch and can only manage a hydro. :ychain:
DSCN3164.thumb.JPG.ec0847f9102ceeb16c2cfDSCN3158.thumb.JPG.a272160d78016bafe0ed2

DSCN3165.JPG

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

steamdriven23

So has anyone completed a diesel swap in the GT14?  I too have been kicking that idea around.