Sign in to follow this  
jerrell

Which way does it turn

jerrell

:hide: :imstupid: I never even thought of it.. i bought two engines and NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF THE ROTATION OF THE ENGINE... thank god both turn the right direction.. i spent over 1,200.00 on both engines...Now that would make me really

feel stupid... lack of expierence....

also can you twist the belt to make it turn the right direction?

My question do all wheel horse engines turn counter clockwise????

BPjunk

Jerrell,

Question 1) Twisting the belt would not be a good idea ..... now it could be done if the belt does not rub itself at at any point. And making the pulley arangment work would take too much effort. <_<

Question 2) Yes all horizontial shaft model Wheel Horse engines turn in a counter clock wise direction.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

sorekiwi

My question do all wheel horse engines turn counter clockwise????

Depends which end you are looking at! :hide:

BPjunk

Mike,

That is a good reply ....... When a engines direction of rotation is talked about the out put end of the engine is what is ment. :hide:

sorekiwi

Mike,

That is a good reply ....... When a engines direction of rotation is talked about the out put end of the engine is what is ment. :omg:

Yeah, I know Bill.

Last weekend I went through the hell of rewinding the recoil spring on one of the big cast recoil starters. On about the 10th attempt I got it small enough and slipped it into the housing, only to realise I'd wound it the wrong way :hide::D :hide:

bluetuna08

when you are referencing direction of rotation you always speak from the item that is being drivens point of view, that way their is no confusion.

BairleaFarm

I never thought about it but I thought they all turned the same way. :hide:

HorseFixer

when you are referencing direction of rotation you always speak from the item that is being drivens point of view, that way their is no confusion.

Also referred to as from the shaft end! Or looking at the shaft end. :hide:

Butch

I had never thought about this until reading this post. I have run my engine through my head visualizing the parts. The only reason I can figure why

engines turn this way is because the starter or rope puller starts the flywheel in that direction. Is that correct? If I got a starter to spin the opposite way would the engine even run or would the ignition system/points get screwed up somehow?

None of the internal parts are directional that I can think of unless there is a weight system directing it. :hide:

Butch

Kelly

The cam is the big diff. if you have a reverse ground cam, you could make the engine run backwards, I've heard of boat motors V8's with reverse ground cams to run backwards, I know that kohlers will not run the other way stock, I had a cub that had no starter on it (starter/gen) I used one from a JD that I had, and could not get it to start :hide: , well cubs drive the starter to the PTO end of the engine, not the flywheel, so cub starters turn CCW and will not work on anything else, and vice versa, so when I used the wrong starter it turned the engine backwards and wouldn't start, I won't make that mistake agian :D

linen beige

There is an old time, self taught mechanic in my home town who scratch built an engine that will run in either direction. The cam lobes are on the outside of the engine. He set up the cam to work like the reversing system on steam engines. The only parts he didn't make from scratch were the piston rings and the spark plug.

jerrell

:hide: i didn't know that there was engines that turned backwards until i was looking up the wireing diagram for the new honda engine and had to go to the honda website . i noticed that there was a note on one of the engines that stated that the engine turned differently and surpriseingly was almost a 100. cheaper , :D

sorekiwi

In the late '70's and early '80's, when I was anapprentice mechanic, the Honda Civics and Accords turned backwards (anticlock looking at the front) compared to everything else.

Dont know if their auto engines are still the same. :hide:

I know their Indy car engine turns normal!!!

bdanie7

two stroke engines can be made to run backwards with very few modification.the early golf carts were set up this way for reverse.move the ignition plate and reverse the starter and away you go.I wouldn't think a four stroke would be much harder other than you would have to switch the carb and exhaust. No reason to do this other than out of curriousity. It would be kinda fun to watch someone try to drive a tractor this way,not knowing what was done. :hide: