SMITTY

Deck Pulleys

SMITTY

Trying to get rotten pulleys off. Are the top nuts regular threads or left handed. Its a deck off of a 1985 417-A..

Racinbob

They are right hand threads. Soak them good with PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating stuff.

SMITTY

Have that going on. Got the nuts on the blades loose but no movment on top. Just wanted to be sure I was turning them the right way

daveoman1966

A 1/2" pneumatic impact wrench is ideal for this.... Even the electric impact wrench from Milwaukee works well.

You next problem will be getting the pulleys off. Once you have the nuts broke loose, back them off to the top of the spindle shaft threads, yet still fully threaded on the shaft. If the pulleys don't come off easily, use a brass hammer as a drift pin on top of the shaft and WHACK it with a BIG hammer...don't be bashful. Your aim is to drive the shaft DOWN THRU the pulley...this almost always works...penetrating oil of course would help...maybe.

ps...if you damage the pulleys, I have replacements for 36 42 or 48" decks.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

SMITTY

Thanks Dave. I've been trying to get the right pulleys and belt for 2 weeks. I have no seriel # on the deck so me and my Toro parts guy have been going round and round. The pulleys are rusted but I need 1 for a sample. Hope I can save 1

scraper

I am in the middle of rebuilding a 48 inch deck myself. I got the 2 outer pulley's off by using a open end wrench to keep the spindle from turning underneath the deck. Then with the deck standing straight up and down, I used a large plumbing pipe wrench to break the pulley loose. The sharp teeth on the wrench will mark the round part of the pulley some, but you can sand that down later. You will have to work the wrench back and forth a few times but the pulley will break loose. The only way to remove the middle one is to drive the spindle out with a hammer, remove the grease nipple first.

SMITTY

Success used friends electric impact and pipe wrench. Pulled right off. Now lets see if I can get all new.

Thanks for the help

daveoman1966

Do you need all three pulleys.... I have them for a 48 or 42" decks.

SMITTY

Hi Dave

Do you have the 3.5 inch with 3/4 shaft with a keyway.

daveoman1966

YES...   I have those pulleys.  They are for 3/4 shaft using a woodruff key slot.    The LT and RT side pulleys are new.  I also have good used ones if you like.
I can't seem to add pics in this upgraded forum....so.;..  send me an email OUTSIDE of Red Square and I will reply with pics, prices, and details.

my email address is: (just clik this link)

daveoman@windstream.net

Edited by daveoman1966

SMITTY

Hi Dave

I'm trying to add a power vack to this deck do you have a double pulley that will mount on these shafts

daveoman1966

Do you need the Double pulley for a 42" or 48" size deck...they are different.  

SMITTY

I need one for  a 42 inch 

Lee1977

I know you have to use a hammer to drive the shaft out of the pulley. Go easy you can also bust the bottom out of the spindle housing at the c-clip if you hit it too hard, several of us have done that. Might try heating the pulley hub to loosen it before using blunt force.