How To: Painting Rims with a Perfect Edge when Tires are Mounted

stevebo

I think I would have failed the test on my rim repaints.... lol

btw no dust covers?? :ychain:

• Like 1

grnlark

I think I would have failed the test on my rim repaints.... lol

btw no dust covers?? :ychain:

Its funny you mention that, because I'm on the fence about them. Obviously, I have the big brass washers on the spindles for the covers so all I have to do is slip them on, but not sure I'm a fan of them. I've been looking for a set for a few weeks that might be light gray or silver to blend in. Bearing Buddies make a nice set of light gray - almost silver - but they only come in the entire kit - not sold seperately. I don't think I want black and don't want a screaming red one... We'll see.

stevebo

I usually buy a bunch of the black soft rubber covers at the show from Glenn each year. I think they would look good on there. I have a set if you need them 

chazm

You forgot step # 9 ....  stepping back and grinning ear to ear ...... :icecream:

• Like 5

grnlark

I usually buy a bunch of the black soft rubber covers at the show from Glenn each year. I think they would look good on there. I have a set if you need them 

I do like the look of the soft rubber ones. I was going to ask my brother to measure them at the show and grab me a set. I wasnt sure if the soft rubber fit the hubs. If you have a set you dont need, I'll buy them off you...only if they're brand new - lol. Let me know. 

Racinbob

Excellent write up and pictures Matt. Definitely first class results. What I do is cut several pieces of light card stock to the radius of the rim. With the tire deflated I slip them around the perimeter between the tire and rim. It holds itself in place. Finish off masking and spray away.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

Why not paint the covers to match your rims? 

Ken B

Nice job Matt.I also do mine this way. I laughed when I once read some comments that its not a full restoration if you don't dismount the tires to paint them. If you know how to do it right you will save yourself a lot of disgust when you go to mount your tires back on your freshly painted rims and inevitably scratch them up. 

• Like 3

KC9KAS

Very nice documentation on a very nice set of rims!

They look really nice.

• Like 1

857 horse

wow,,,,,,,,,,,that is perfection..... :woohoo:

stevebo

Matt,

Remind your bro to pick up a set when he is here on Sunday. Maybe the wife will let you come down too... lol 

Navig8r

Looks great!   Good write up with good pics.. Thanks!

I've heard of a lot of guys using a deck of cards inserted as Bob stated.

Digger 66

What I do is cut several pieces of light card stock to the radius of the rim.

Cereal boxes work great for that ^^^

1_zpslscdbxir.png

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

mels

Nice write-up, great finished product!  

I learned from a frugal Finnish perfectionist back when I was a kid a way which doesn't require any masking with tape or cards and many may find a little simpler: "painting" liquid dish soap onto the rubber.  

Starting with the tread and slowly working your way toward the bead, similar to "cutting in" the edges when we repaint our Homes, just gently paint the rubber with a thin coating of liquid dish soap using a quality tapered brush and great care to not get any soap on the metal.  Paint the wheel as you normally would.  Once pain is cured, simply hose off the overspray.  No muss-no fuss.  Lol

WHX??

I just pulled the rims off my '92 246H to change tires that always leaked air. Once I had them off figured this was a good time to repaint. This WH looks like it almost just came off the showroom floor and I am trying to keep it that way even tho it has over 500 hrs on it. I was going to have them powder coated as I did with the mower deck since I have a guy close by that does it resonably. It also seems like grass clipping & dirts slides off powder  coated surfaces better. After reading this post I got to thinking, yeah i'm never going to get the new rubber on without scratching them all up so maybe yours is the way to go. They were painted silver but i can see that there is the off white (I call it cream) underneath so they were obviously painted before. The back rims look like they are the orginal cream collared which I think is right for the year. I also have the baby moons on them and plan on plugging the holes in the rims with bolts help keep dirt out of the outsides.

Save Old Iron

For front tires, grab a 2 or 3 square foot section of rubber pond liner. Cut out a round hole in the center of the rubber mat. Size the hole about 60 - 70% of the rim diameter. Detach the tire from the rim bead, stretch the rubber over the rim and it will both self seal to the inside of the rim and drape over the tire and protect it from overspray.

Rear tires require a larger section of pond liner.

Once the paint is dry to touch, stretch the liner to remove it. The stretched liner will flake off the overspray and the liner can be reused over and over.

• Like 2

doc724

Of course, if you don't want to go to all that bother and still paint after mounting, try the canola oil method.  Brush the tires with canola oil, spray to your hearts content.  When the paint is dry, wash off the canola oil.  I tried olive oil (EVOO) not as good results :-(

AMC RULES
I heard Jiff peanut butter works pretty good too.   :eusa-think:
Have never tried it though.   :angry-nono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gy9Aj3hf54