Sign in to follow this  
whchris

counter weight

whchris

hey guys i am going to build a counter weight for my mf65 (i know its not a wheel horse sorry) with a loader now ive got concrete coming on Saturday so i was wondering what it the best way to form a weigh with a barrel? or build a nice box? i am not looking to exceed 1 yard of concrete with this so its either most of a 55 gallon drum or a 3x3x3' box any body got a logic on which one is better?

Sparky

Heres what I think.

If you allready have the barrel use it and if it aint enough weight after the yard of concrete is in it and you have tested it out, you could allways fill it the rest of the way up with more concrete. The 3x3x3 box will have no room for expansion if it turns out to be to light.

Mike...........

Nick

You could make more manageable sized concrete boxes then build a weight box for them. I saw something on the PF loader plans sight that might give you some ideas. I would have gone a bit wider and not so far back but just me.

Scroll down to see the concrete weights.

Loader weight link

whchris

nick i like that idea but the concrete is coming on Saturday and i need the weight to be usable Sunday (i cant fabricate anything steel that fast) so im liking mikes idea and hey fill part way with concrete if i happen to need more weight on sun i will caulk the holes in my barrel and fill it up with water then wait till the next time i have another concrete project all right i think im all set here sometime i just need a few other ideas to get my mind going especially if ive called it quits for the day

Rideawaysenior

I took a 30 gallon drum and stuck a 3/4in. rod through it, then filled it all way with concrete. I back up to it and hook it to the 3 point on my Massey and it is plenty of counter weight. The drum may be bigger then 30 gal, not sure. I jus tknow its not a 55 gallon though. It's a bit smaller. That works just fine. I've used it on of few other machines I've owned too.

Nick

I don't do math but my guess is a 55 gallon drum is going to be somewhere around 800 pounds(near double the weight of water?). That should be a good amount for counter weight. Also 55 gallons might be just over 1/4 yard of concrete. Just guessing now so dont hold me to it. In fact do the math over :hide:

whchris

i was just taking a guess at the amount i filled a light post hole i dug the other day with just about 1 yard and that had to be fairly close to a 55 gal drum

linen beige

A 55 gallon drum holds dead on 1 cubic yard. They were developed during WW II for moving war materials, and one of those war materials was dry cement. Most ready mix is around 150 lbs. per cubic foot. Do you need 1350 pounds of counter weight?

In case anyone is wondering why the smaller drums are the same height as 55 gallon ones, it's so mixed pallets could be stacked.

whchris

do i need 1350 pounds of counter weight yes about a year ago one of the filled tires poped i replaced both with un filled so that should put me about back where i was

Teddy da Bear

I just got a GT-14 with ARK loader. I have no counterweight. No 3pt. hitch as p.o. took it off and auctioned it separately. I saw a box on a frame on another wheel horse with loader. They used bricks which could be loaded and unloaded easily.

I noticed that with the bucket half-full the tractor would tend to bounce and want to nose-over. That was kinda expected....lol I plan on putting the wheel weights on from my 1054A. And of course if you ever met me.....you know that I am my own counter-weight...... :hide:

I thought if it were possible....a water filled container would make a nice counter-weight.

It could be emptied and refilled without having some gargantuan concrete block sitting around. Trick is to get a container that you can seal as the water would slop out of course....lol

Nick

My .27 yard guess was a bit off. Using an online concrete calculator a 55 gallon drum should be closer to .34 yard.

Mike, Not sure what the Ark came with but the KW loaders had an optional box for the rear of the tractor. You could fill it with whatever you wanted for weight. Depending on how extreme you get with your lifting I like a minimum of 200 pounds of counterweight behind the tractor. KW recommends at least 300 pounds of counterweight.

linen beige

My .27 yard guess was a bit off.

Not as far off as mine! :hide:

A 55 gallon drum holds 9 cubic feet. I forgot to multiply the 3 foot height, which means 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard. So a 55 gallon drum does indeed hold 1/3 cubic yard. I guess we'll have to devide that weight estimate then. To get 1350 lbs you'll need 3 drums. Or hang 1 REAL far back.

whchris

well i ended up building the 3x3x3 box i went to get my drum and found that it has gone missing along with some other loose steel around these parts when scrap was high i was a hot item for the local thieves i had a nice set of clamp on loader forks that went missing the bad thing is i payed almost 2 grand for those and they weren't worth half that in scrap

Nick

Sorry to hear about your forks and drum walking off. I dont like the fact that even in this small village we have to lock our garage. Just outside town not only are scrap and small items being stolen but a rash of ATVs, cars and trucks. :hide:

Anyway good luck with the weight pour. :D

whchris

well the pour went fine although the pad for my wood boiler now has a unique texture to it it was overcast all day didnt seem like it was going to rain but it did faster than i could get a tarp on it, oh well. i was getting ready to brush it when the rain started now. the block was hard when the rain started, i had started pulling the forms but was still a little squishy on the sides so i held off, i was not liking what i was seeing seems the pour was a little too wet and all the agitate material settled to the bottom hopefully only in the spot i saw. the pad was a bit dryer of a pour but these mobile mix trucks as great as they are are pretty finicky to getting the mixes just so. my project has been called off for tomorrow anyways due to this rain making everything squishy i can risk sinking the tractor with that much weight on it and my heat for this winter hanging off a strap