tunahead72

Kohler Governor Stop Pin -- Do I Have a Problem?

tunahead72

I've been mowing with my C-105 for a while now this spring, probably 10-15 hours so far this year.  Everything mostly seems fine, with the usual quirks.  It does seem to be leaking or burning some oil, so I'm keeping an eye on it, but it runs smooth and seems strong.

The other day just before I shut it off, I noticed something loose and rattling at the front of the engine block, directly behind the bend in the governor arm/lever.  Here's some photos...

Two from the side:

post-4371-0-82930300-1431549617_thumb.jp

post-4371-0-10094100-1431549710_thumb.jp

And one from above:

post-4371-0-41160200-1431549740_thumb.jp

I checked my parts and service manuals, and it looks like it's the governor stop pin (part no. 231355).  It's a fairly long and skinny screw/pin thing with a Philips head, threaded just at the head end and smooth down the rest of its length.  And according to what I've read here on RedSquare, its main purpose is to "keep the governor gear on the stub shaft" (that quote from an old post from Terry (TT), who seems to show up in my searches on this forum every time I need help with something :text-thankyouyellow: ).

That all kind of makes sense to me, but I'm certainly no expert on governors.  So I'm wondering, can I simply screw this thing back into the block from the outside and be done?  If so, does the governor gear or any of the linkage have to be in a certain position before I do that?  Can I also remove the pin completely and replace the copper washer at the same time?  Or do I have to start tearing the engine down and replace it from the inside?

I suspect this pin has been loose for a while (I've been hearing a rattling noise for a while, and thought it was the locking pin on the PTO assembly bouncing around, but it could be this instead).  The governor seems to respond nicely to load changes.

Edited by tunahead72
Minor corrections from recent forum update?

rmaynard

Just tighten it and keep an eye on it. Even if it fell out, you would be okay because the cross shaft would probably keep the gear from coming off. If you want to, you can remove it and replace the copper washer, but it's only purpose is to seal it from leaking oil. As I said, I'd just tighten it and keep an eye on it.

• Like 2

buckrancher

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

oldredrider

Chances are that's not what is rattling. You are probably correct about the pto pin.

• Like 1

tunahead72

Thanks for the information guys, I'm seriously relieved.  I'll just tighten it up and see what happens from there.

The PTO pin is weird, but I don't see any other problems with that assembly.  My 310-8 doesn't do that, at least not that I've noticed. :dunno:

Edited by tunahead72

tunahead72

Just an update...

I tightened the pin the other day.  I had to partially disassemble the throttle linkage and loosen the governor arm to get access with a screwdriver.  The pin seemed very tight and was hard to tighten (maybe the threads are stripped?), but it did eventually seat completely and seems to be sealing well.

I adjusted the governor, twice actually, because there's a little bit of hunting going on that I hadn't noticed before.  It's only noticeable at high speeds with no load, a rapid increase and slower decrease in engine speed that happens regularly every second or two.  I don't notice it at all when the mower deck is engaged.

I'll play with the sensitivity when I get a chance.  I'm thinking it's too sensitive right now, and I'll have to move the governor spring down one hole to make it less sensitive.  Does this make sense, or is there possibly something else going on?  The spring is currently in the 3rd hole from the bottom on the governor arm, which I think is where Kohler set it at the factory.

rmaynard

I found that it took a bit of experimenting to find the correct spring placement for my engine. The hunting could also be carburetor. When it starts to hunt, try tweeking the main jet needle valve. Also, be sure to check for throttle shaft play.

tunahead72

Good thoughts about the carb.

I started adjusting the main needle, but got distracted by something and didn't really get that resolved.  I think it's back to where I started, so it's not too far off, but it's an easy thing to adjust before I start messing with the governor spring.  The needle is clean, I removed it recently and thoroughly cleaned it and made sure the holes were clear.

There is some throttle shaft movement, I've seen much worse but it may need attention too.

At some point later this year, I'll probably remove the carb and thoroughly clean it, and also clean the breather and adjust the valves while I have everything apart.

WHEELHORSEnutz

Glad I found this! Had exactly the same thing happen to me. Started losing power. I heard a rattling noise and noticed that screw you have shown unscrewed and vibrating against the governor arm. Screwed it back in.. same thing was very firm to turn. I have reset the governor, tinkered with the carb.. just cannot get it to stop spitting and sputtering. Was running pretty good for an old engine prior to this happening. What am I missing??? 

tunahead72

I probably can't help you much here.  That particular engine hasn't been running in well over a year, I'm actually setting aside some time this week to start digging back into it.  You should probably start a separate thread for your engine, and make sure you let us all know what tractor and engine you're working on.  You'll get a much better response from guys who are more knowledgeable and experienced than I am.

As far as the governor pin on my C-105, that's one of the least important issues at this point, I think.  I did manage to tighten it, with some difficulty, and it still seemed to be sealing well the last time I checked.

Good luck with your tractor, and welcome aboard! :text-welcomeconfetti:

WHEELHORSEnutz

Thanks tunahead! I did finally figure out how to properly set the governor. Running great ever since. The engine is a K241. I used to have the K321 but could not find the rebuild parts I needed at the time. Swapped it out with a fellow Wheel Horse friend. Only issue I still have is it smokes a bit and burns through oil. But, it runs great aside from the occasional smoking. 

• Like 1