daveoman1966

Ethanol Fuel.... JUNK JUNK JUNK

Lagersolut

I've been using non Ethanol gas with Stabil and a 1oz shot of Marvel to each can for 20 years and I've never had issues fuel related .

Wishin4a416

I was in Linesville Pa. last weekend and they had Ethanol free 91 for 3.45 a gallon. I had no cans.

Edited by Wishin4a416

rmaynard

That's the tire shop on RT 194 ?  

That is correct. Breighner's Tire.

953 nut

Real Gas runs about $.80 more in my area, a bargain when you consider the cost of the additives I don't have to buy and repairs I don't have to make. I do have the good fortune of having two outlets near by that carry it.

alswagg

I run ethanol enriched fuel in everything wheel horse d's chainsaws weed eaters boats snowmobiles cars trucks. Not one issue for several years

bo dawg

Wow I guess I have been lucky cause I dont even think about it or worry about doing anything. I go where ever and buy the cheapest gas and run it all summer long. I dont use and never have used additives. When I'm done for the season, park it in the barn or garage for the winter I make sure its close to empty and shut off the gas valve, cover the tractor and leave it. Come spring I shoot a shot of either to get it fired up, put more fresh gas in and off I go every year. The only times i've had to clean a carb is when I buy a tractor from someone and it needs it. Just saying.... 

maxed500

lucky here also.  for 14 years i have used the cheapest fuel possible, full/partial tanks sit all winter, always starts easy in spring, 25 hp kohler on exmark z turn.  Last summer it had an issue with poor running.  I assumed that it was from crap fuel for its entire life so i disassembled the carburetor to clean it. It was shiny clean on the inside.  Shocked me.  At the same time, i replaced the 14 year old original fuel filter as well.  As a result of further troubleshooting, the issue was the spark advance module failing.  Runs great, still burns 10% ethanol fuel like always. 

userj8670

I was turned onto seafoam and I love it

daveoman1966

That's a-maize-ing!

daveoman1966

What you found in your fuel bowl is not Ethonal, but in realilty stale fuel and varnish from years of build up on the inside of the fuel tank, lines, fuel pump and carb bowl.  Ethonal is a from grain alcohol, alcohol is a great "cleaner" of the fuel system.  What it does is loosen up the varnish from the metal tanks and lines.  Then the bad happens, it gets sucked into the carb.  We had many problems with this years ago with our customers boats.  Add a good filter and change regulary.  A few more tanks of  fuel the entire system will be clean and easily run on Ethonal added fuel.  Note only use up to 10 % Ethonal.  Now the very bad, Ethonal since it is alcohol attracts water, is set and vented to the atmosphere it will naturally attract water and if enough water is introduced the molecules will seperate,  This is called Phase seperation,  you will get layers of water the lowest, then the alcohol, grey in color, then the poor fuel sitting on top.    Just be careful and add fuel treatments such as Star Tron and change your filters frequently.  Good luck  Al

daveoman1966

It is a plastic fuel tank and I replaced ALL the fuel lines and filter last summer when I re-did the carb so there couldn't have been 'years of varnish' accumulated.  I think that I just got some really low-end gas, or gas that was old to begin with and that Stabil couldn't save.  I'm not dishing your knowledge and theory...not in the least.  I'm just pissed that I had to clean out the carb ...again... after having just done this last year...not long ago.

I'm going to source some 'real gas'.  I think there is a station that sells such, not far from me in Cambridge Springs, PA.

Thanks for your input.... that's the kind of reply I was trying to prompt.   

• Like 1

Road-Track

I guess I am lucky. I have over 8 stations within 5 miles that sell non-ethanol gas. I use it in all my tractors, 2 strokes, boat and my cars. Costs more , but works fine lasts a long time. :auto-rally:

I use to travel alot and would fill up with real Hi test gas and get 33 mph interstate. I noticed on the return trips after filling up with 10% ethanol Hi test would only get 29 mph

and have to down shift on hills due to lack of power.

This is a great site to get the locations of about 10,000 stations that sell real gas.  

http://pure-gas.org

• Like 1

boovuc

It worked, Dave!  :)

Now go out there and plant some sorghum in the lower 40!  

• Like 1

SethL1984

Good Afternoon Gents,

I swear by http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron; I've used it for about 5 years and it does all the things it claims. I even got an extra 3 miles per gallon in my Ranger, no joke! 

The best part outside of the positive effects in your fuel is the price! 

857 horse

NO MARINA FUEL NEAR ME,,,,

LOWES AND TRUFUEL

NO PROBLEMS....

JUST STARTS.....

rick

I can get 100 Octane low lead at the local airport, over $5.00 a gallon. I use 89 octane Shell in everything but my Subaru Outback (10.7 to 1 compression) and two stroke engines that get 93 octane Shell. All small engine fuel has a shot of Schaeffer Neutra. # oz in 5 gallons. I have no failure to starts. The Onan in my 416H love the avgas!

Edited by rick

thehorse

I also use aviation fuel for machines sitting over the winter.....never a worry then

maxed500

where i work, fuel cans and their funnels are the biggest source of contamination for our small engines.  maybe some of the old varnish/crud came loose from it and found a new home in your carb.