lobo

.20 under crank

lobo

Hello everyone,  Has anyone ever used a crankshaft that is .20 undersized? It would be going in a 16hsp Kohler. 

WH nut

As long as you get a .20 over rod you will be in good shape

lobo

Thank you WH nut, anyone else got any ideas on this?

rmaynard

Unless you want to have your connecting rod modified to accommodate actual bearings, an aftermarket .020 under rod is the only way to go. I have done a .020 under crank on a K241 with a .020 under rod. My rod was from Taiwan and the engine is still running strong.

lobo

Thanks Bob, good to hear, may be the way I go on this one.  Where did you get your rod by the way?

zekepiks

Quite a few years ago I had a k321 That had thrown a rod,  it chipped quite a large chunk out of the bottom of the bore and really scored the crank, I took the engine to a OLD engine machine shop -rebuilder and asked him what could be saved . he bored it .30 and told me where the piece was out of the bore was below the piston and not to worry, then when I asked him about the crank he told me he would have to turn it .40 to save it. I worried  (1) about the hardening of the crank and he told me the max .30 was what kohler recommended to protect them, (2) that the biggest over rod I could buy was .30 over. he machined .05 off the rod and then the cap,bolted them together he then bored the rod to the correct crank dia. he told me to plasti- guage it when I put it back together. i did and it was perfect.  that old engine has hundreds of hours on it. I only wrote this to say that you can do just about anything to these old kohlers and they will just keep going ,not recommending anything    Skip

lobo

Thank you Skip, good to know, really helps ease my mind.