whtractors24

wheel horse c165 16hp kohler

whtractors24

I have a 1984 wheel horse c165 with a k341 kohler rubber mounted. Unit starts right up wether it's at idle or full throttle it's running ut sputtering bad . So things I've done

-tried another fuel pump

-new set of point's started gap at .20

-new coil and wire and condenser all hooked up properly.

- re checked all grounds = good

checked inside fuel tank it's clean

new spark plug

cleaned carb really good even tried another

ignition seems good but I did put alligator clip from battery to + on coil to just double check.

Still in the same boat it's got the same volts at coil as it does at the battery.

Can the timing be off ? Maybe points rod is worn? To me it looks ok no worn marks...

Help is appreciated I have seen threads on other k341 similar issues I read through them no success with what they got to work.

Edited by whtractors24

gwest_ca

Does the body of the condenser have a clean ground where it is mounted? Should be wired to the negative side of the coil. Have another condenser you can try?

Garry

whtractors24

Condenser is brand new and grounded well I used a light or clips to ground that to battest also ... could this be out of time? Or valves off ne er seen it happen but it's possible. .

illinilefttackle

I had the same thing happen on my K-301- it was the screen in the shutoff valve unit (partially plugged) in the plastic gas tank-worth a try- Good Luck- Al

stevebo

I agree the screen is probably clogged. Might as well replace the rubber grommet and pull the shutoff out and clean up up and flush the tank while you are at it and replace the fuel line and filter. 

whtractors24

I will try that tommorow and maybe even run a spare tank I got up high that I know is Clean. And see what happens .

Think this could be timing ?

Edited by whtractors24

gwest_ca

I realize the condenser is new. My suggestion was to try another because I have seen new ones cause them to start OK but run like crap. Valves can hang up and be slow to close. Since it runs try a shot of Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel. Once it gets to the valve stems you should see an improvement if the are hanging up. I have one that depends on that product for that reason.

Usually if the timing is off they are hard to start. Only way to know is to check it with a timing light. Having said that I set my timing by ear. Set with the timing mark it won't start and runs rough.

Garry

fireman

Check that the governor is adjusted properly!

whtractors24

Thanks jeff and guys I will start with cleaning tank again then re adjusting governor and go from there . If it has to do with spark. I know kohlwr makes a points eliminator .that we stock at the dealer.

armyvetwh

if those dont settle it, try the points push rod coming out the side of the engine block. i had to replace the one in mine a while back when it didnt want to run

whtractors24

Here's more things I've done .

- clean gas tank lots of leafs in there .

-new condensor ,coil,points adjusted properly

-checked valve clearance and did a leak down test

Tested good

-new plug wire

-jumped and eliminated all wires from ignition to coil and from coil to points in case of a break.

-checked flywheel key

have plenty of fuel I believe spark is not strong enough it's sparking off time .

---maybe cam or points plunger is worn?

So today at work borrowing the kohler points and. Condensor eliminator kit if that works because I don't want to give up I will buy a plunger .

Edited by whtractors24

mey030

I've got one question for you is it a Kohler coil or is it like an Napa or a coil from an automotive store. Many years ago I bought a c120 that had the electronic ignition on it it had burnt and instead of buying the electronic ignition I converted it to points and coil like the older kohlers got the coil from Napa echlin internal resistor. engine ran like crap missed no power so I took the engine apart thinking it got hot and the Rings had lost their tension rebuilt engine repainted it got it all back together proud of my work ran the same way. the old boy that was a Kohler rep that called on my father's wheelhorse shop came in and I told him about it he went out to his car got a coil that was a kohler part we put it on and ran like a sewing machine. He told me he had run into that before something about the resistors in the aftermarket coils sometimes where not comparable. I did a lot of work for nothing because of a coil the did not meet specification you might want to check it . if it is not a Kohler coil try to find one used or whatever tomorrow and try that just my 2 cents. [emoji6]

• Like 1

tunahead72

-new set of point's started gap at .20

Hopefully this is a typo, points gap should be .020" or something close to it.

Callen

I would try a different condenser and check your coil to see if it requires an external resister. It should say it right on it.