sluggo

broken Steering bracket

sluggo

The lower steering bracket has broken on my 1993 WH 310-8. I hit a tree while turning and the left ear that attaches to the frame has sheered off. The local Toro dealer wanted $97 including shipping.  A guy at work has offered to weld it for me. Will remove and try to weld it. Not sure if it is cast iron or steel.

Any advise? Anyone else have this issue ever?

I'll post an update next week to let people know how it turns out.

stevasaurus

They are cast iron.  You should be able to weld it...or someone may have one for sale.  I found one for my B-100 a couple of years ago...they are out there.  :)

• Like 1

oldredrider

If the welding doesn't work out, send me a PM. I've got some laying around.

Depending on where you live, might be a short drive to pick up.

• Like 2

squonk

My C160 has both ears broken off. The p/o made some steel plates and used them to clamp the bracket down. Worked so well they are still there and I've had the tractor 6 years. I have 3 or 4 spares laying around. I'll change it someday

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

You might care to replace it  (88-2710-03) to tighten the steering. It usually gets worn over the years. I found one seller online for $68.18 plus shipping.

sluggo

I like the steel plate idea. I may try it this weekend. It may save me from disassembling everything.

I saw the $68 dollar option a couple of days ago. Still a ridiculously large sum for a small amount of metal.

stevasaurus

Got mine for a bottle of my homemade wine.  :)  $68 is crazy high.  :)

woodchuckfarmer

Have it welded , Ive done it and no problem......Wayne

857 horse

home made wine???  

what have i been missing???

Never know.....BIG SHOW is coming up....

im gonnna be there.....and no wheels are gonna fall off??

did he really say home made???

• Like 2

daveoman1966

I can send you a good replacement steering block...not broken or welded.... for $35...SHIPPED TO USA ZIPS

My direct email is:

daveoman@windstream.net