muz123

What was your first wheel horse?

Idaho  Jim

Wheel Horse tractor with stack, 16HP Kohler, Mac Truck hood ornament, a very focused 7 year old with camo pants and good looking pair of brogans hooked up to a weight sled! If Norman Rockwell was alive he'd be painting this! 

-Chris in Florida.

My son kevin bought his first tractor two​ years ago with his own money. He bought a 1975 c160 for $250 and he was only seven years old. That started the addiction. Kevin's first tractor pull photos Fall 2013, Age 7.

041.JPG

​Good job driving that Wheel Horse Kevin, I would like to watch you at a tractor pull,if I was a bit closer than Idaho.   Good luck,Idaho Jim

• Like 4

muz123

My first WH was a 257H with many implements and used it for 15 years to mow and plow snow. Then I was at a dealer getting parts and picked up a derelict C145 Hydro with a 42in deck and a snowblower for $100. Then I found a C165 8sd for a bit more. Well you know ….

​Gotta love the 200 series, they don't get much love.

• Like 1

Idaho  Jim

Hi muz, That is a real intersting past 15 years, I bet your just getting started and in for the long run!    Thank You,  Idaho Jim

• Like 2

Idaho  Jim

Genn, I hope you can hang to as many as you can,not easy to replace them I bet. Just got to do what feels right.   Good luck,  Idaho Jim

• Like 1

rick

My first was a 1989 310-8 with a 37" deck, bought for $150.00.

• Like 2

muz123

​you got a good deal!

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

The first one  was my 310-8  which I bought brand new  with a 36 rear discharge  deck w long gone but the tractor is still  my  go to  for anything  that  needs  hauled  or pulled  or towed including  the  518h  or the 418A  when  they  get  stuck.  It's  old and  rusty  but  it  starts  and  runs  like  a  charm.  The  518h  is my  mower  but  I need to get the oil  leaks solved  and  the 418A  will  be  my tiller  tractor 

ScottCT

Is it just me or has every Wheel Horse collector owned or still owns a 310-8? Just curious, I have my $250 310-8 although it wasn't my first horse.

10204478157619316.jpg

• Like 4

stratostar250

Is it just me or has every Wheel Horse collector owned or still owns a 310-8? Just curious, I have my $250 310-8 although it wasn't my first horse.

​My first was a 211-5, I got it when I was much younger.  But my first garden tractor that I got about 2-3 years ago was a 310-8, I think a bunch of us have had a 310, it seems to be a pretty common tractor.  

• Like 3

slammer302

commando 8 and i also have a 310-8 

• Like 3

Idaho  Jim

commando 8 and i also have a 310-8

​Hi  Slammer, nice horse.     Idaho Jim

Idaho  Jim

​you got a good deal!

​Sure did, Wow!

muz123

​I have owned about 4 310's in the past 10 years and the carb linkages on them make it hard to adjust. Nice tractor though!

Edited by muz123

953 nut
Scott  :WRS: , if you include 312-8 and 310-8 I think you are correct, just about every one of us has or has had one.
:text-welcomeconfetti:

ScottCT

Thanks for the welcome. I've been a quiet observer for the past couple of years. 

slammer302

Pic of my first80b2cd773eebbd21bd20a48cce76b237.jpg

• Like 2

muz123

Pic of my first80b2cd773eebbd21bd20a48cce76b237.jpg

​Nice tractor! Also I like those wheel weights in the front.

Edited by muz123
  • Like 2

Chevydave

My first and only, a '89 416-8 that I bought brand new. Went through the 42 SD deck shell and the Onan motor. Now has a Honda. Used for mowing 2 acres and snow blowing. Bought a new pickup the same year that's long since gone.

• Like 2

muz123

My first and only, a '89 416-8 that I bought brand new. Went through the 42 SD deck shell and the Onan motor. Now has a Honda. Used for mowing 2 acres and snow blowing. Bought a new pickup the same year that's long since gone.

​Those honda engines are nice and quiet. 

Chevydave

​Those honda engines are nice and quiet. 

Mows and snow blows like a champ, no regrets on money spent. Only having one and expecting it to do everything is pretty tough on the machine. After all these years it's always ready. Forgot to mention that it is also used for grading my driveway (mid mount) and small tilling jobs.

Edited by Chevydave
  • Like 1

MikesRJ

Mine was an ironic start. While visiting my sister-in-laws horse rescue ranch in Tennessee, I discovered a horse in need of rescue. Not the equine kind, but the Wheel Horse kind. So what did I find, a 1958 Ride-Away Jr., RJ-58, of course.
The first pic's what she looked like the day I brought her home.
001.thumb.JPG.5f3caff74e68f25004361775df
The second is the carcass VinsRJ sold me for some of the parts I needed ...
028b.thumb.jpg.d931d71672fb796ae71c8781f
... and the last two are what she became.
RJ58-016.thumb.jpg.bc710ef5bac6b27a7b2fc
RJ58-019.thumb.jpg.b4df3ea9196df496e70e7

• Like 4

muz123

Mine was an ironic start. While visiting my sister-in-laws horse rescue ranch in Tennessee, I discovered a horse in need of rescue. Not the equine kind, but the Wheel Horse kind. So what did I find, a 1958 Ride-Away Jr., RJ-58, of course.
The first pic's what she looked like the day I brought her home.
001.thumb.JPG.5f3caff74e68f25004361775df
The second is the carcass VinsRJ sold me for some of the parts I needed ...
028b.thumb.jpg.d931d71672fb796ae71c8781f
... and the last two are what she became.
RJ58-016.thumb.jpg.bc710ef5bac6b27a7b2fc
RJ58-019.thumb.jpg.b4df3ea9196df496e70e7

​Very nice!!

• Like 1

Racinbob

Awesome story Mike.

• Like 2

MikesRJ

The biggest surprise with this machine was that the original decal was still on it just before I picked it up. Apparently it had been painted over (which preserved the face), but had fallen off while in storage in my brother-in-laws trailer. My BiL found it about a month after I took it home and I was able to get the paint off without too much damage to the face. So at least I know the correct serial number, and thereby a rough date of manufacture.

• Like 1

rick

you got a good deal!

Sure did, Wow!

+Yep, the guy sold it because he thought it needed a fuel pump, "and they are real expensive!" . It has the Walbro carb, which was built without a clip on the needle vale to pull it down as the bowl empties. I had to have the deck welded in places. Runs well, and makes a nice cut!