pacmanfan1977

702 New drive belt installed, now grinds gears.

pacmanfan1977

Awesome! Thanks for the information...You know after seeing that last picture I vaguely remember that piece being on there at one point. (I've had this tractor for years). Once I get the rear welded up and repaired, I will go back to looking at the original issue.

• Like 3

pacmanfan1977

Just a quick update, I did get the rear mounting bracket repaired/ welded. It seems to be holding fine, so now I can get back to looking at the grinding gears! I plan on making the part that attaches to the belt guard, and I hope that will resolve the issue. Here is a picture from when I repaired the bracket:

photo (2).JPG

• Like 1

steve k

Try this,  mark your new belt with a sharpie anywhere, then measure the belt from the mark back to the mark and see what you have.   Then compare to the belt you removed.

Some brands of belts are notoriously shorter than advertised......    

Let us know  :)

pacmanfan1977

Finally got around to working on this again, and I am happy to say my 702 seems to be back in business! Today I worked on the Wheel Horse agaon and tackled the original problem of the tranny grinding gears after installing a new drive belt. The problem was the missing guide on the belt guard. User "Big Show or Bust", posted a picture of his belt guard, and sure enough my guard was missing the guide/ belt brake on the guard. (THANKS AGAIN BIG SHOW OR BUST!) So today I fabricated a bracket and installed it on my belt guard, and it worked perfect! (I'm still not sure why the old worn out belt worked without this guide) So the 702 is back in business, although I had a big detour with repairing and welding the rear frame :( .  As mentioned in my original first post, my grandfather was the original owner of this 702, so I really want to keep her going so I will be able to pass her on to my son. (He's only 1.5 now- so we got a long time to go!) My grandfather was a Wheel Horse guy, he started with the 702, and later upgraded to the C-165. He bought them both new, and they are both mine now. The C-165 is in awesome original condition, and is my work horse. Anyways I want to thank everyone who posted on this thread for help, I greatly appreciate it! 

• Like 3