illinilefttackle

A-81 REBUILD

illinilefttackle

Thanks guys for your input on my shirting problem with my A-81 project. It is now cutting grass again- It is kind of a MUTT , but some of the best pets are. It is basically a 1979 A-81. It has been repowered with the 12hp engine from my Dads old MTD mower. Some of the pulleys are from there too. Then I replaced the rotting front wheels and tires from the MTD on the front of the A-81 giving it more ground clearance and making use of the better tires. Gas tank is also out of the MTD- tank holder is from a 656 WH. Steering wheel was smashed, so I Epoxyed it together- (it had plenty of time to cure, its been hanging in the garage for 5 years). A little welding and cussing fixed the deck- and the shifting was fixed by putting in a rod next to the drive belt to provide a "Pucker Point" for the belt so it would move away from the motor pulley when the clutch was applied. Got belts from TSC , Deck wheels at Mentone. Still a little fine tuning to do- but this is just a worker so no paint. 12 hp Briggs gets so much better gas milege than the Kohler on my C-125A, so this is my mower now.  Still looking for the correct gas tank-lays alongside the Briggs- then I can put a wire mesh hood on it. In researching this project, I could see where the Wheel Horse Engineers changed things in later models, for easier use for the consumer. Thanks again- time to cut grass!- Al

KIMG0110_2.jpg

• Like 2

squonk

I got an A 81 when I moved into my house in 88. Was re-powered with a 8 hp Briggs with no mower deck PTO. When you pulled the cord, the belts spun. Good thing I was young in those days!  :)

Edited by squonk

davidtmercer

Al,  I don't know if you remember me but I live in Middlebury, IN and purchased a short block 12 hp engine from you a couple of years ago (you also gave me some double d-type mower blades).  I recently acquired an A-81 from a guy in Michigan which appears to be original but the cone type PTO for engaging the mower deck is broken.  The tractor and 32" side discharge deck are in excellent shape.  I was hoping to fix it but it is going to take more time than I expected and is taking up valuable space in my garage.  I don't have much invested in it and would like to give it (or trade) to someone who would get it running again.  Let me know if you (or someone you would know) are interested. I would deliver for free.  Thanks Dave Mercer

Edited by davidtmercer
removed phone number
  • Like 1

Pullstart

Liking the phone part, along with your generosity to help another WH guy Dave!  I too only have an old school flip phone! 

• Like 1

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat:  Beam me up Scotty.  :sci-fi-beamup:
2015-09-29_001_001.thumb.JPG.742f3631a13
  • Like 2

Pullstart

Hey look!  my tractor's famous now!  it photobombed you Craig!

• Like 1

illinilefttackle

Al,  I don't know if you remember me but I live in Middlebury, IN and purchased a short block 12 hp engine from you a couple of years ago (you also gave me some double d-type mower blades).  I recently acquired an A-81 from a guy in Michigan which appears to be original but the cone type PTO for engaging the mower deck is broken.  The tractor and 32" side discharge deck are in excellent shape.  I was hoping to fix it but it is going to take more time than I expected and is taking up valuable space in my garage.  I don't have much invested in it and would like to give it (or trade) to someone who would get it running again.  Let me know if you (or someone you would know) are interested. I would deliver for free.  Thanks Dave Mercer

Hi Dave- sent you a PM- Al