horsejunkie77

Craftsman II lawn tractor...worth a resto?

horsejunkie77

I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with the LT, as I haven't had the time to tear it down yet. It does have a Tecumseh engine and the oil inside looks pretty clean. Not even sure of the year, probably late 80's or early 90's. Think it's worth a restoration?

post-15167-0-29639400-1430544158_thumb.j

Save Old Iron

if your intent is to learn how to repair mechanical and electrical systems,learn electrolysis and painting techniques, then yes,

if you have sentimental value attached to it, yes

if you can get the whole rig running reliably for less then $200, you could eventually sell it and maybe make a small profit to cover your learning experience.

repair parts are common and plentiful, which is good because you most likely will need a basketful for "restoration" of an older craftsman tractor.

also be careful how you throw around the word "restoration" when you really may mean "repair". When I hear "restoration", I expect to see about $1000 leaving my wallet.

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 3

horsejunkie77

if your intent is to learn how to repair mechanical and electrical systems,learn electrolysis and painting techniques, then yes,

if you have sentimental value attached to it, yes

if you can get the whole rig running reliably for less then $200, you could eventually sell it and maybe make a small profit to cover your learning experience.

repair parts are common and plentiful, which is good because you most likely will need a basketful for "restoration" of an older craftsman tractor.

also be careful how you throw around the word "restoration" when you really may mean "repair". When I hear "restoration", I expect to see about $1000 leaving my wallet.

Very true. I'd love to get it in operating condition and MAYBE restore it one day. Can you even find Tecumseh engine parts any more?

Save Old Iron

Tecky engines are mechanically sound but do have many quirks. Try to ID the model # of the engine and we can go from there.

Digger 66

Can you even find Tecumseh engine parts any more?

Yep , I just got a replacement carburetor for my 1966 Techy sno-throw engine on Amazon for 21 bucks !