BenBen's416

BenBen's Father-Son 416h Work'n Project

BenBen's416

So a lil back story: I mow 1x per week and it takes me 2.5hrs with a 20" push mower... I've never had to purchase a mower @35yrs old, I've always had readily available hand-me-downs & freebies. So I set my parameters 2wks ago @ $800 & 1.5hr drive radius. 

Well I started looking at green (b/c we have a JD 5525), even some yellow (b/c we have an IH Hydro100 + others), and even looked at the cheaper stuff. While I was looking, I kept coming across these "WheelHorses" and so I had to investigate (basically because I like the look) & didn't understand 'them' and the $ they were commanding. That brought me here. Where I started reading, searching, looking up info, reading about problems, seeing which were 'desired' models, and finding out when did 'they' start using plastic, aluminum and recycled Styrofoam peanuts for parts.  

Then there was the price point when I decided what I wanted & oh yeah, $800 is kinda short lol. Oh, there's 25 green 2007 model mowers ready to bring to the house... 

Today I am the proud new owner of a 416h... Even has the original BOS attached to the owners manual. Unfortunately tho, it was closer to the farm than the city (day job) so I had sent my dad & brother to check it out & authorized them to spend my $ so long as it wasn't blowing smoke, slapping heads, spitting oil, etc... there's a bad "idler bearing" which didn't spoil the deal (but I will have to fix & have searched here for that thank you WHF/RedSquare already). 

Most of us here, we need our tractors to WORK. Me, if I wanted and had the time for show ponies, I would have kept a 70 Olds, or refurbish an AC D17 we have collecting dust. No, life is no parade but a long grind... now is my 2hr mow gonna kill this thing, I seriously hope not lol. 

But that doesn't mean I can't get this Mare to put out a little more - hehehe... She does require maintenance. She does need heads cleaned & valves adjusted apparently. She needs cleaned/detailed... and these are things I can get my oldest son Ben involved in as I want to have more father-son time... (might upset my lil girl but she'll take/get hers if she wants it later). So I'm planning to put this little horse to work in more ways than she had planned. 

Yeah, there is more to my motivation here as well... I'm a divorced father (accountant & weekend farmer) of 3 with a new family & an old one I still have to support and there's no reason this can't be fun... So check back in, & I'll keep pics coming. But be patient, as I'm writing this tonight I still haven't seen it much less heard her run... But the DERBY is Saturday, this is KY, and pappa's got a brand new toy!

Since I know you want to know - this 416h got listed this morning for $500 & 1hr away... she never had a chance 

post-15186-0-29451000-1430452799.jpg

post-15186-0-07523600-1430452810.jpg

post-15186-0-98482800-1430452832.jpg

post-15186-0-03520800-1430452844.jpg

post-15186-0-10785600-1430453665.jpg

post-15186-0-48988800-1430453665.jpg

post-15186-0-75967900-1430453665.jpg

post-15186-0-00135400-1430453666.jpg

post-15186-0-28777600-1430453666.jpg

• Like 7

bmsgaffer

Welcome to RS! Glad to see another one from our neck of the woods!

Looks like a great project! Those 416's are nice tractors.

Will your 2 hr mow kill this thing? HA! Not a chance... on and now you have a 48" deck to cut grass with so vs your 20" with your legs for power I will bet you are done in 40 minutes or less!

Where in KY are you? I am originally from Northern Kentucky. I have since hopped just across the river, but will go back someday.

There's an interesting fella in Central KY that has been gulping up every decent horse for MANY miles around, so I am glad you got to that one first!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ben, welcome aboard. Nice ride. Best of luck.

Glenn

KC9KAS

:WRS:

AMC RULES

:WRS:

rmaynard

Welcome to the madness. I have been collecting and restoring for a while now, but just recently got me first 416-H. I say first because just 2 weeks ago, I got my second one. Bought it for parts, but it looks like it just might find its way into the queue for restoration itself. Keep us updated on your project. Lots of help to be had here.

• Like 1

PaulC

nice :wh: and like the others already said welcome! your gonna love that machine you got a good one as your first. I just picked up 2 417's which are very similar to yours but a kohler engine. and like Brandon said your 2 hour mow wont be a 2 hour mow anymore and you could probably do it 3-4 times a week and wouldn't even stress that stallion. use this great site to your advantage and learn about the maintenance on your new onan and you will be all set, but be careful you will find unbelievable things here that may spark an addiction...ask me and many many others how we know :ROTF:

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat:  I started on this site just looking for information on fixing up my dad's C-105... Then i bought a C-125 off of here to "just grab the motor out of", then I bought a C-165 on ebay because "hydrostatic drive and 16hp would be cool"... Then I bought a C-145 because of blah blah... then a 551... then a 520H... then an 854... who knows whats next!

Its dangerous! :hide:

• Like 3

BenBen's416

By next weekend I hope to have everything good to go & a pic of my little BenBen up on the Horse.

BMS - I too had to jump the river for my job & I'm in Nor-hood now. Farm's near Owenton where you don't have to ignore everyone. Heck, people here will walk up right in front of me mowing/trimming & expect me to stop so they can ask me to 'give them something'... HATE IT!!! Never fails, "hey, can I get a smoke." My standard response is to keep the machine running so I have to scream it loud enough for everyone to hear - "Sure can sir, just as soon as you get done picking up all the trash so I don't hit it with the mower." (sorry for the tangent)

And I saw the guys that appear to be hoarding WH parts for a 'run-on-the-market' :eusa-think:. They're listed on L'ville CL but the Mrs's works for an auto parts store, so $ on some things like battery, pulley's, bearings, etc. should be at distributor costs +10%  :icecream: ... cross referencing parts ??? 

Maynard - that's the underlying idea; 'toys' for the kiddos in the future. If I can get them to learn to take care of this, then I can surprise them with the littler/older models come bdays & Christmas. We'll see. They asked me last week if they could wash the JD. They're 5 & 7 and a good age/time to start developing some 'ownership' characteristics & responsibilities.  

PaulC - I hope so. Like I said, I saw what the overall consensus was here before setting up the wish list. Can't believe I found one so quickly & under budget (still kind of questioning myself). But, 1hr is probably just long enough to get the oil warm & I'll be circling the streets looking to fill time. 

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square.  That is a great horse and a great price for it...you did well.  :)

BenBen's416

Got her in. Leaks some oil, reverse is pretty slow but she runs. Looks like it still has the original fuel filter  :eek:

???? Need a part number on/for the V-pulley on the front mule (one next to lighter). Looks like a 7/8 ID & 4 3/16 OD. ???? 

Anyone have a cross reference for say a NAPA, or KOI...

Oh, & the dude I spoke with at TractorSupply was worthless... uh, "we don't have toro part." Well do you have ANY pulleys? "No"... You don't carry or sell any pulleys? "Well we do, but without a part # & i'm not allowed to even search Toro parts." I didn't ask you to search for... ok, do you have any CubC parts? "Yeah." Any Pulleys? "Yeah"... Any of them have a 3/4" or 7/8" ID? "I don't know, i have to look it up by the part #"... 

post-15186-0-83471500-1430592023_thumb.j

BenBen's416

Sorry, found 'some' on RS finally after searching again - looks like " part #'s for the mule pulleys are 104974 for the "V" and 104975 for the flat pulley." - via rmaynard

"The V-idler for the front mule is Toro part number 104974 replaced by 92-7103.

A Stens replacement is 280-743. These have a 3/4" bore." - via gwest

muz123

Welcome

N3PUY

Hey BenBen,

You're a farmer ......  drill out the rivets in the pulley,  replace the bearing,   bolt it back together with ¼x½ bolts and nuts.  And you're back farming.   Will save you time and money. 

Try it.

Joe

BenBen's416

So here are the goals: 

1. Get through mowing season '15
  2. Tear down & maintenance with BenBen winter '15-16
  3. :auto-biker:

N3PUY - gotcha (and watched video found here on RS) - but @$20 I got a out-of-the-box-new pulley from 2blocks away and had to get a $3 fuel filter + $12 for a new drive belt = I'm at $40... had to wait from Sat to Monday. 

1) So I got through my first mow (very rushed because it was getting dark quick):

• My 2hr mow is now down to 1.25hrs ("Wheel-Time" @ 45min if you count the drive over/back)
  • Engine is smooth - sounds great (for what exhaust is left). Starts right up & didn't leave me stranded (very important quality lol)
  • Blades are dull as  :orcs-censored: !!!!
  • Mower wants to stall out if I don't have the deck just-right (it's like it wants to be all the way up and lift whines when/if I get it in between all-up/all-down)
  • Transmission needs adjusted. (jerky & very slow in reverse. Had this working/straightened up at the house, but by the time I drove 2blocks to mow - it returned)
  • Uses/Lost some oil

2) BenBen (my son)

• On Saturday - he said he wants a tractor for his birthday (he'll be 5 in a month lol)
  • Got him out with me on the JD 5525 this past Sunday to do some grading, rock moving/piling for the driveway
  • Made him watch for a few minutes so he could see what we were doing - I've Never seen him smile so big... and we do a lot. 
  • "Itch" / appreciation / interest = established  :greetings-clappingyellow:

This week(end) agenda is to do the oil change (30w), fiddle with transmission guide-plate (basically back off the middle/tension bolt ever-so-slightly; fluid level was good), mow again and take more time as I was very rushed last time.  

bo dawg

Welcome to Wheel Horse! and Red Square too. Great stories about the kids and I agree.

You made a wise choice and will be glad you did more over time. The bug bites so be careful cause soon you'll find yourself with owning more of these Horses. They dont like to stay by their selves. Just like Lay's potatoe chips. Lol!