PaulC

Deck Shell Repair

danjmah

Beautiful work! thanks for the pics and writeup.

• Like 1

PaulC

Thanks Dan I really get some serious satisfaction out of saving and fixing up this old wheel horse stuff and I still haven't figured out why :confusion-scratchheadblue:  I find it funny too that all the :wh: ive worked on so far is right about the same age as I am, I was born in 85.

kiotiken

Nice work looks like it will lasts a long time.

• Like 1

danjmah

Just curious what is the gauge of the metal you used ?

PaulC

16 gauge which I think is a little thinner then original but it should hold up for a long time especially if properly maintained. Even jumping up to 14ga I wouldn't be able to get it to form to all the bends and curves. I did put an 1/8 inch reinforcement plate behind where the height adjuster mounts to beef it up it can be seen in the picture

312Hydro

You sir,do excellent work! If it was all repainted,I don't think anyone could find your repairs as they are that good.

• Like 2

music100

Very good. How did you get the bends that you needed? Wish I could do as well. John

• Like 1

PaulC

Very good. How did you get the bends that you needed? Wish I could do as well. John

For the tough piece I put a long bend in the sheet metal by clamping it to a square box tube and bending it over by hand and got it to match the radius of the deck pretty well. I then laid the rotted out piece I cut out inside of it and visualized where the next bends needed to go. Thought about it for a while and made my cut. Then from there I bent the rest with pliers and by hand and made a few more relief cuts. I kept laying the rotted piece inside until I got it to match really close. Once I was satisfied I tacked it where needed and lined up to the deck marked it and very carefully cut it and put it in.

• Like 2

RedRanger

Nice work!  Bet your repairs outlast the rest of the deck.

Glad to hear the JB weld works well on smoothing things out.  I've been thinking of using the same to smooth out pits on a deck.

• Like 1

chex313

Thats pretty much artwork Paul, thanks for sharing. :bow-blue:

• Like 1

PaulC

the co worker I repaired this deck for finally got some paint on it and the finished product is pretty darn sweet!! in good light and at the certain angle if your looking you can pick out a few spots but after the first mow and a little dirt you will never know. here are some more photos

post-8772-0-90011500-1430941873.jpgpost-8772-0-64716000-1430941876.jpgpost-8772-0-49582300-1430941877.jpgpost-8772-0-16734600-1430941878.jpgpost-8772-0-92090400-1430941878.jpgpost-8772-0-68743800-1430941879.jpgpost-8772-0-43180100-1430941880.jpgpost-8772-0-14989600-1430941881.jpgpost-8772-0-76105100-1430941881.jpg

• Like 6

312Hydro

Just like I said.Mission accomplished! Now,go grab yourself a cold one and savor the sweet smell of success!

• Like 1

boovuc

Wow! that is great work!

• Like 2

Tankman

Nice repair on the poor deck! I remove my decks yearly, clean 'n paint, sharpen blades.

I usually drill plates, bolt in place, MIG stitch weld. Remove the hardware before paint, replace hardware with new and use plenty of Never-Seez.

Under side of the decks get whatever Rustoleum paint color I have. Rustoleum Regal Red for the eye. 
Tape decals before paint or remove them and get new from Terry.

Pic is before stitch welding.

Deck_Rehab.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Wow! that is great work!

I'll say. I was even more impressed to find out you bent the new pieces by hand. I assumed when I first saw them I assumed you cut them out of a good deck. 

• Like 1

PaulC

I'll say. I was even more impressed to find out you bent the new pieces by hand. I assumed when I first saw them I assumed you cut them out of a good deck. 

Thanks I impressed myself a little on this one. And I would never chop up a good deck because then that one would have a giant hole that would need to be fixed :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

LOL, bad choice of words. A good piece of a bad deck.  :)

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I owned an autobody shop for 15 years and fixed a few decks and panels since then and I think your's turned out far better than most others I've seen!

Keep it up!

Dennis Thornton
1964    654
1972     Raider 8
1977    C-160 
1978    C-81
1981    C-85 
1984     GT-1100
1987     310-8
1993    416H
1998    520lxi
1990    Husqvarna GT160