jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

D-180 forward problem

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

I have a 1975 D-180 with an ark loader. 

Bought it used about a year and a half ago and have been fixing it up as needed (mufflers, rebuilt steering box, new spindle bearings, and some other minor stuff) but not doing a full restore.  It has been running well and just beginning to earn its keep. 

It has been running and driving fine.  Moved some big rocks, large tree trunks, and 13 year old daughter drive it around the yard for about two hours -- all seemed good. 

Today, moving mulch around, after about an hour and a half, it stopped going forward.  Reverse is fine.

If the lever is pushed all the way forward, it will creep forward on level ground and it whines. 

If the lever is pushed all the way forward and a human pushes just a little bit, it goes forward easily and the whining stops.  It almost seems like it wants to go forward.

Since it goes in reverse fine and there is no awful mechanical noise when it tries to go forward, I think the coupler is fine. 

The transmission fluid level is routine checked and was checked when the problem arose. 

It is resting now and I will check the fluid level again.  It does leak from the case split.  Perhaps it is low and the whine is fluid starvation.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  I am new to these hydro pumps and transmissions....

Thanks.

Regards.

John

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

Update -- Added fluid to the transmission and it seemed to be better for a short time and then the problem returned.  I am letting it sit for a while to check the fluid level (and to get more oil).  In case anyone queries temperature, it has a temp gauge that is not working, it is about 55 degrees F today, and the pump and motor had years of crud pressure washed off so the fins should be doing their jobs. 

John

Niagara D

Could have tired pump. Otherwise it might be an issue in the motor (rear end)

pfrederi

I would download the Sundstrand manual from here. 

First check would be the linkage

post-1023-0-24537100-1430254643_thumb.jp

Edited by pfrederi

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

Thanks.

I checked the linkage and it appears to be fine -- nothing broken, nothing disconnected, nothing hanging free.  And it seems like it is activating the transmission to drive forward, just no power.

I have the Sunstrand manual and landed on the page you posted from.  But I am having trouble understanding from the manual how to field check the two valves.  It seems to me that the unit needs to be pulled out and apart to check.  Any suggestions on doing it without pulling the unit and what to look for?

Also, this may seem like a really dumb question, but I was under the impression that the fluid in the transaxle is the same fluid reservoir for the hydro system.  Is that correct?  Is there another place other than the transaxle dipstick to check fluid level and/or fill the hydro unit?

And anyone out there have a rebuilt or known working hydro pump and motor for sale?  Or does anyone do rebuilding?  I am not sure I have the time to do it myself.

Thanks.

Regards,

John

Niagara D

I will be looking to rebuild one that I have on the way from Jones and son since the one in my 180 is tired. So I will rebuild the one on the way and then drop it in and rebuild the spare. I plan to start looking through the manual tonight but does anyone know off hand if you can still get parts from sunstrand?

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

Jones & Son?  Is that a shop that does Sunstrand rebuilds?  If it is, please send me contact information.  Thanks.

Regards,

John

Niagara D

No its a member here that I am purchasing a used pump from.

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

Thanks for the quick reply.  I think you got the one I was watching.....  Good luck with your rebuild.

I think I found a rebuild service -- Jim's Repair.  I will post the quote.  Anyone have experience with this shop?

Thanks.

Regards,

John

fast88pu

John. Where are you located ?

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

I am in Andover, MA.  Why?

Regards,

John

fast88pu

Because if you were close to me I've gone through a few of them and would give you a hand

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

That is very kind and appreciated, but way too far for you to travel.  Perhaps if my family still had the lake house at Lake Copake it might have worked out....

Regards,

John

fast88pu

Wish you the luck on rebuilding it. One guy gave me a price of $1,200 to rebuild it. Then I started to rebuild my own. The manuals are on here