Coadster32

Kids wanna drive

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Tell you what. I sure enjoyed those pics. Put a smile on my face ear to ear. Thanks a million for sharing.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 4

PaulC

haha this is really cool!! most grown men don't know how to run a mill

and are those your kids names on the side panel? that's for sure a nice :wh:

• Like 1

WH nut

Now that is really cool. Memories to last a life time.

• Like 3

Coadster32

haha this is really cool!! most grown men don't know how to run a mill

and are those your kids names on the side panel? that's for sure a nice :wh:

Yes, I put their names on the side panel. My 551 suburban has their names on the fenders as well. I'm very fortunate that my kids are at a good age where they like hanging around with their dad. I am enjoying every minute of it...before they're teenagers. Right now they are siked to finally be driving instead of getting hauled around all the time. :icecream:   

• Like 3

rexman72

great pics

KC9KAS

Thanks for the photos..Looks like the kids were having fun in the shop and on the horse.

PS. Please make sure your daughter keeps her beautiful long hair away from the spinning things in the shop.

• Like 1

dclarke

Looking good, Chris. Those kids did a great job!   :thumbs:

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:  Hey! I wanna ride too.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Looks like everyone was having some :wh: fun Chris. 

Coadster32

Thanks guys. Great family here to share with.

Agreed Kas... next time her hair goes under a hat.

• Like 1

stevebo

Chris- 

I think you need to buy two more roundies for the kids :hide: . See you at Zagary on Saturday. 

JAinVA

Great to see the kids getting involved with things hands on.Everyone picked up on your daughter's hair but as a journeyman machinist with over thirty years in the trade I was most

concerned with your sons position at the mill.He is directly in line with the chips from the endmill and if there is any problem with the vise holding the part he is in the line of fire.I

have spent hundreds of hours running these machines and have taught many apprentices the safe operation of them.I understand the desire to share your hobby with the children

and the pictures of them with safety glasses on is somewhat reassuring but these machines can hurt you severerly in an instant.I am not trying to be negative in the least but  

unless you have run a Bridgeport for many hundreds of hours I would not let the kids anywhere near one.I would sincerely hate to see one of these lovely children hurt.

JMHO,JAinVA

Coadster32

Great to see the kids getting involved with things hands on.Everyone picked up on your daughter's hair but as a journeyman machinist with over thirty years in the trade I was most

concerned with your sons position at the mill.He is directly in line with the chips from the endmill and if there is any problem with the vise holding the part he is in the line of fire.I

have spent hundreds of hours running these machines and have taught many apprentices the safe operation of them.I understand the desire to share your hobby with the children

and the pictures of them with safety glasses on is somewhat reassuring but these machines can hurt you severerly in an instant.I am not trying to be negative in the least but  

unless you have run a Bridgeport for many hundreds of hours I would not let the kids anywhere near one.I would sincerely hate to see one of these lovely children hurt.

JMHO,JAinVA

I appreciate the concern JA. I have nothing but respect for machines. Just a little backround..I am a third generation machinist and the mill he's using, is the one my father taught me on when I was young as well. I am in my 26th year at Excello Tool, foreman of two departments, and have mentored over 10 kids thru their apprentiships. I have to say that I have learned way more from my father at home, than I ever did in 4 years of machine tool at Platt tech high school. I do understand that pictures don't do justice most times, but my son is taking .040 cuts with a 1/2 stub rougher. Believe me, no way is that thing letting go. If you look at the setup again, I was teaching him to not blindly mill the pocket, and to make sure he was watching the cut. He couldn't have see what he was doing, or turn the handles, from any other position (mostly due to his physical size). Please don't think I'm getting defensive as I do know in the wrong hands, or lack of experience, these are very dangerous machines as I have see first hand, (as is any tool or tractor really). I believe if you introduce kids to things and experiences in the right manner, they will be better off and safer in the long run. I genuinely appreciate your concern, and congratulate you on a successful long career in the same trade. :beer:

Edited by Coadster32
  • Like 3

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh: Now that is cool. Keep this hobby alive for our next gen. Chris Great job getting the kids involved.

Edited by T1257
  • Like 1

JAinVA

Chris,

Thanks for replying to my post.It is obvious to me your children have a great mentor and role model.I agree wholeheartedly with teaching the kids how do things safely.It scares me that a lot of people in the hobby jump into machining something solely only on what they saw on you-tube.Based on what you describe as your background and training, the kids will get tutored properly and safely. I was hesitant to post my comments because I didn't want to stir anything up and I am glad that you didn't take offense.Pictures don't always tell the whole story and now I can sleep better knowing that the kids are safe.Enjoy every day with them as they grow up fast.Luck,Jim in VA

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I just love it when everyone gets along...makes you want to cry.  :)  Great pictures Chris...if I wasn't such an old phart, I would not mind learning some of the trade either.  You can't beat the smiles on those faces.  I just wish that Jim in VA or you did not live so far away. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Digger 66

next time her hair goes under a hat.

:)

• Like 1