o0Nighthawk0o

Opportunity to buy a C-175

o0Nighthawk0o

As you can see I'm new to posting here but I have a question. I have an opportunity to buy a 1983 Wheel Horse C-175 with a 42" RD deck, wheel weights, rear lift/hitch, 12" brinley plow, snow blower, tiller, 42" long/short frame blade, and set of extra rear tires. $2000.00 OBO. He says it runs great. I am going to look at it this evening but is this a good price for this old of a tractor?

I already own a 520H but am looking to add as I have a lot of yard to mow and a lot of snow to move along with other farm chores to do.

Thanks.

Ken B

IMO too much for a C-175 even with the attachments, especially if it still has a Series 1 engine in it... If you have hills and or large slopes in your yard a Series 1 engine is one to stay away from. Pics would also help.

bmsgaffer

It would have to be pristine for me to look at it. Like Ken said the series 1 (which the C-175 came with) is less desirable. Many people on here run them and have no troubles, but definately wouldnt pay a premium unless it is replaced with a low hour series 2 engine.

It would have decals on it saying it was a series 2 or you can look at the spec number on the engine itself: A spec number of 24300 and above is series 2, below that is series 1.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

o0Nighthawk0o

I don't have a lot of hills, at least nothing big. I would mostly use this to remove snow or push horse manure. I will look at the engine to see what it is. Here is a pic of it.

post-15150-0-08294000-1430148244.png

elliot ness

Way over priced, offer him something like 1200.00 if it's real good mechanical and looks good. Just my opinion. And the other posts are correct on the series 1 17 hp. kohler, that being said , stay off the ski slopes and deep ditches and the oil changed and clean. and they will last for a long time. I just pulled a series 1 from my C175. that has a crank seal leak, and it has 1655 hrs and still runs good, just a bad oil leak.

bmsgaffer

I also think way over priced...

I feel like 750 would be a lot... see below.

Edited by bmsgaffer

WH nut

Depends how bad you want it. The attachments are worth a grand

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Aha, I must have missed the long list of attachments...

Assuming the attachments all work and are in halfway decent shape then thats only a LITTLE high. That is quite a nice list of attachments which would make that actual tractor much less of that dollar value you are paying.

baerpath

IMO too much for a C-175 even with the attachments, especially if it still has a Series 1 engine in it... If you have hills and or large slopes in your yard a Series 1 engine is one to stay away from. Pics would also help.

And I feel the same way about anything with an Onan in it. I would rather have a KT series 1 any day.  I wouldn't let the motor be the issue I do think that's high for the package though

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The attachments are worth all of a grand, and maybe more if you bought them separately.  With that said...I think a good, fair price is around $1500 to $1800 depending on the engine thing and how it looks in person.  The extra tires could be worth $150 also.  :)  The blower looks to be in great shape.  Maybe he will dicker a little.

o0Nighthawk0o

I talked to him on the phone. It is a series one engine. He does say OBO so I will start around 1200 to 1400 depending on how it looks and go from there. Thanks for all the help and I will post back.

AMC RULES

Think I'd start a one K...

and max out at $1200.  :twocents-twocents: 

PaulC

that's quite the package but is a steep asking price. itll be mainly your call when you see the stuff in person and get a feel for the condition of it all.

I personally like to buy cheap so its usually stuff that's been neglected which allows me to get the satisfaction of saving whatever it is and fixing it up. But considering you have farm type chores this may not be something you have time for or are even interested in doing. So therefore if when you get there everything is really nice and been stored mostly indoors it could be worth a good chunk of change. I just picked up 2 417's which are the slightly newer version of the c-175 and have heard nothing but good thing about them mainly the KT17. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

o0Nighthawk0o

I ended up giving 1400 for all of it. The tractor started right up without a lot of cranking. No knocks or smoke. All the attachments are in good to excellent shape. The worse being the snow blower and all that is wrong with it is the cable to turn the chute isn't on correctly. All in all, I think I'll be happy with it.

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

Disregarding most peoples negative comments,I think you did great with that price.Looks like a nice tractor and a great bunch of attachments.Good luck with your new toy.

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

I've watched with interest, and I think you did well for what was included. Now you need to get a single cylinder so that you're not just feeding those two twins.

:thumbs2:

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I too think you did well for that price! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

PaulC

Disregarding most peoples negative comments,I think you did great with that price.Looks like a nice tractor and a great bunch of attachments.Good luck with your new toy.

I don't think anyone was being negative? Just trying to give him opinions on what we knew. We knew the list of what was there with no pics at first and then just saw a pic of the tractor and blower, which ended up looking pretty nice!!

I agree also that you did pretty good with all that was there and if that snowblower is the worst then I bet everything is really nice, ive saw blowers much much worse.

Nighthawk you should post some pics of your new toys soon!!!

• Like 1

midpack

I was watching this thread too, I love the C-175 I have, love the sound, love the power. but I really haven't had it long enough to give an informed opinion

Ken B

I also think you did pretty good. I sold mine for 900 a few yrs. ago to a loving home. The only attachment I sold with mine was the mower deck so at 1400 and with all the goodies you got with yours you done good. 

55hp817.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

They are a good tractor.  Make sure you keep her topped up on oil abit over would be better than a bit shy.  Don't keep her for prolonged periods running on hillsides.  I have a series 1 with well over 2000 hours and all she does is smoke a bit on startup but clear up in a couple of minutes.

Whmaverick

Definite dido on what Paul just said! Love mine, I nick named it semper-fi (always faithful)

papaglide

This is how I see it. $1100-$1300 for the attachments. That means $900-$700 for the tractor. Is that a little high for the tractor? Maybe. Personally I would have probably started at $1400 and would have been happy paying $1700. In my opinion you did very, very well at $1400.

c-series don

Ahh! And so it begins, now you have two tractors and all those attachments. Now you will need a third tractor so you can save time switching attachments, and then the Wheel Horse addiction begins............!!!!

• Like 2

Brrly1

I've got one I have a lot of fun with, part of the black hood squad!!

• Like 1