1989520HC

Rear Axle Seal on a 312H

1989520HC

Im just wondering how hard it is to change this seal? Anybody have a part number for it? 

WH nut

Not sure of the part number, you can look in the manual section for your tractor. The hardest part will be getting the wheel hub off. Once off, clean the shaft off real well with some emery paper. Use a screw or a pick to get the old seal out and pound in the new seal

WH nut

Try WH part# 6449

SgtBob

I just completed this task.  Like mentioned here getting the hub off was the hard part for me.  On my 520H the axle seal was part # 6449 and was just over $10 at my local Toro dealer.  I used an old wheel hub as a puller to get the hub off the tractor.

hub.jpg

• Like 1

1989520HC

I have a big three jaw puller. I was hoping that would do it. Thanks for the part number. 

pfrederi

Just a note on your 3 Jaw puller.  If you really have to torque down on it  and the hub isn't moving I would stop and set up something else, like shown above or in other threads on hubs.  The flange of the hub isn't hat strong when subjected to concentrated pressure like a 3 jaw puller.

Forest Road

Be careful 3 jaw pullers have broken many a hub. I was able to get one side off easily and used it as a puller on the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmaynard

If you are lucky, a leaking seal may just have lubricated the axle and hub enough that it will come off easily.