wallfish

Bought a new toy

wallfish

Bought this cool little machine today.

I do have some fence to install but only need about 10 - 12 post holes and just happened to see this while searching for a hand held post hole auger. It just looked so cool so I made the call to go look at it and came home with a lighter wallet. Another impulse buy.

This thing should make quick work of those holes. 4WD (steers like a skid steer), custom trailer, Onan CCK engine and 2 auger bits (6 & 8 inch). Everything works like it should and no leaks so it should be fun to play with tomorrow!

A friend who also needs some fence installed is going to be my first customer. If anyone in central New England area needs some holes punched, let me know! I need some jobs for it to help pay the bill. It can come with an operator or be rented by the day. Bet it's fun to use!

post-658-0-74269200-1429927174.jpg

post-658-0-35923200-1429927193.jpg

post-658-0-48830000-1429927201.jpg

post-658-0-92672000-1429927401.jpg

• Like 9

AMC RULES

Gee wiz John...   :thumbs: 

I sure could put that to work here.  

wallfish

How many holes do you need?

I may be able to drive out there, dig the holes and get back quicker than you can do them using a little hand held unit! Certainly possible if your ground is as boney with rocks as it is here.

shallowwatersailor

Something like that would be handy in horse country.

wallfish

Something like that would be handy in horse country.

I could put a fence around the infield at the big show.

baerpath

What do you charge ? Need around 512 4inch 3ft deep post holes Going around 5 acres  All clay until you hit shale

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Very nice...

Hey, go to your back yard and drill a bunch of holes and then sell them to folks needing a post hole! :ROTF:

• Like 2

wallfish

What do you charge ? Need around 512 4inch 3ft deep post holes Going around 5 acres  All clay until you hit shale

If you're serious, we can certainly work something out. Shoot me a PM

The auger bits are commercial heavy duty thick steel type, not those thin ice auger type. With 512 to do, it's probably worth it. That's a $H!T load of holes. Once I test her out, that will give me an idea of how long it takes to drill one and what to expect. I don't have the shale but there is plenty of large rocks here so I'm curious how it handles those.

post-658-0-92866600-1429971519.jpg

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Funny! But I actually meant the real horse farms that surround me. I have heard of people who buy SCUT and CUT tractors after retiring and do that on the side.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

squonk

Are we trying to keep something in or keep something (Somebody) out?  :)

wallfish

It'll be for the guys who wipe their tractors down with diapers to try and stop fingerprints from getting on them!

Or, to coral the DUI drivers from running into expensive tractors! Killing 2 birds with one fence.

The machine really grabs on the asphalt when turning but works easily in the dirt. Scared the crap out me with all that jumping around for the maiden voyage on the driveway to get it off the trailer. Got the brakes all straightened out and adjusted.

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   Amazing machine, you may want to check for differential locks on the front and rear axles, with such a short wheel base that would make it act eval on pavement when you are in a turn.  :twocents-twocents: 

Wish I needed some post holes, just so I could see it in action.  :text-lol: 

wallfish

No such luck with locking diffs. The drive system is a very simple chain drive. 2 hydraulic motors, one for each side and roller chain to each sprocket on the spindles.

Evil is a good word for it too. It will buck like a bronco on the pavement but not too bad if I just pulse it each time. Takes forever to turn that way but at least I'm able to stay on it for 8 seconds.

I'm not very experienced with this type of equipment so any advice or any ideas to help with turning on pavement, please chime in. Maybe it is what it is and that's how it is :scratchead:

Can not find any information on this so far either. General is still in business so sent them a note but it looks they they don't support the old stuff. The only thing I found for a Dig R Mobile model 80 is that they were made from 1965 to 75 and that was from an old ad of a guy selling one

muz123

Nice

stevasaurus

That is so cool John. I could have used one of those through the years.  1st...try not to unload it on pavement.  2nd...slow is the only way to go...try turning at idle speed.  :)  It might turn easier if you try to feather the drive...or brake when you turn.  Don't turn on a dime.  :)

baerpath

If you're serious, we can certainly work something out. Shoot me a PM

The auger bits are commercial heavy duty thick steel type, not those thin ice auger type. With 512 to do, it's probably worth it. That's a $H!T load of holes. Once I test her out, that will give me an idea of how long it takes to drill one and what to expect. I don't have the shale but there is plenty of large rocks here so I'm curious how it handles those.

See how it does and let me .  I'm also thinking of buying a post drill for the JD as another option, I wish I could find one for the GT14 instead

wallfish

That is so cool John. I could have used one of those through the years.  1st...try not to unload it on pavement.  2nd...slow is the only way to go...try turning at idle speed.  :)  It might turn easier if you try to feather the drive...or brake when you turn.  Don't turn on a dime.  :)

I learned about unloading on pavement real fast quick and in a hurry but still needed to get it near my shed to work on it. :laughing-rolling:

I can get it to turn without bucking now but it's slooooooooooooow. Tried all of the above too. Think it's just the nature of the beast so I'll have to deal with it until I figure something out.

Already have a couple of mailboxes to do which means I'll have to drive on pavement for those because of where there located. I'm going to need some practice before doing those.

See how it does and let me .  I'm also thinking of buying a post drill for the JD as another option, I wish I could find one for the GT14 instead

I'll get some video when I start my fence project. Probably do a few test holes in the backyard too.

stevasaurus

John...this is important!!  Make sure you make the phone call to JULIE for locates.  You are liable if you cut into some thing and you did not get locates, or you could die if it is power and you are grounded...(don't have anybody leaning on or touching the machine while the auger is in the ground, and the operator should stay on the platform).  They need 24 hours notice before you dig in order to get the utilities out there to locate...locates are good for 2 weeks.  Don't loose your ticket number...you could nick something and it could be awhile before anyone knows where it happened...but they will see the new mail box.  If you have ever seen anybody hit a power service with a shovel, you will wear safety glasses also. (it is an explosion coming out of the ground).  :)

Don't be afraid...just be safe.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I drive a Toro Dingo on a regular basis with the same exact drive system.

You may be at a bit of a disadvantage because you machine looks to be wider than it is long. That will make the bucking WAY worse.

Here was a huge ticket that I finally convince my dad of: tires. He never wanted to spend the money so kept getting tractor ags like you have there. They would bounce around like heck and he'd be going through one set a year (he used his mostly for trenching). You need to get tires designed for the skid steer application. They are more durable to the wear of turning and they are also stiffer which SIGNIFICANTLY helps with the steering issues on pavement and hard surfaces. We are currently on year 5 or 6 of the one set of tires and they will probably be due for replacement next year or so. (They do ~750 hrs a year mostly loading and unloading on pavement, so yours will last for a LONG time)

Carlisle makes a few types but these are the Trac-Chiefs (what we used on ours)

trac-chief.pm.png

:

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/ag-construction/trac-chief

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 3

rexman72

nice toy

wallfish

John...this is important!!  Make sure you make the phone call to JULIE for locates.  You are liable if you cut into some thing and you did not get locates, or you could die if it is power and you are grounded...(don't have anybody leaning on or touching the machine while the auger is in the ground, and the operator should stay on the platform).  They need 24 hours notice before you dig in order to get the utilities out there to locate...locates are good for 2 weeks.  Don't loose your ticket number...you could nick something and it could be awhile before anyone knows where it happened...but they will see the new mail box.  If you have ever seen anybody hit a power service with a shovel, you will wear safety glasses also. (it is an explosion coming out of the ground).  :)

Don't be afraid...just be safe.  :orcs-cheers:

Thanks Steve!

Out here it's called DIG SAFE. Dial 811 I've had to deal with this many times over the years for burying conduits.

What the hell does JULIE stand for?

I did see a guy cut into 480 power with a concrete saw. The idiot was warned several times to raise the blade but he knew what he was doing so...

I drive a Toro Dingo on a regular basis with the same exact drive system.

You may be at a bit of a disadvantage because you machine looks to be wider than it is long. That will make the bucking WAY worse.

Here was a huge ticket that I finally convince my dad of: tires. He never wanted to spend the money so kept getting tractor ags like you have there. They would bounce around like heck and he'd be going through one set a year (he used his mostly for trenching). You need to get tires designed for the skid steer application. They are more durable to the wear of turning and they are also stiffer which SIGNIFICANTLY helps with the steering issues on pavement and hard surfaces. We are currently on year 5 or 6 of the one set of tires and they will probably be due for replacement next year or so. (They do ~750 hrs a year mostly loading and unloading on pavement, so yours will last for a LONG time)

Carlisle makes a few types but these are the Trac-Chiefs (what we used on ours)

I believe this could be the way to go, Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

J. U. L. I. E.

Joint Utility Locating Information for Excavators.  :)

It has to be a little more complicated then Dig Safe...after all...this is the Mid West.  :bow-blue:

• Like 5

squonk

I love how the locates are only good for 2 weeks. Like gas and electric lines get bored and move around for the heck of it! We had a water main break on Christmas about 3 yrs ago at work. I was on call. We got all of the utilities located and got a contractor digging. Good thing he went slow. Fiber optic line was like 6 feet from where it was supposed to be

stevasaurus

That is the point Mike...if the locates are off you are covered.  I'm not going to type all this, but I can top anything you come up with... :orcs-cheers:   I've seen it all with 35 years at the phone company...seen Com ED guys not make it.  :(  Seen some of our guys not make it.  Even with locates...no guarantee that the locates are correct.  That is why you get them and test hole to find them.  Looking forward to "Top This" at the show.  :)

The reason they are good for 2 weeks...because of the new construction in new subdivisions..they are covering their butt and you make the call to refresh the locates.  You have to have some time frame for the locates...2 weeks is it.  :)  Makes (since)...they can't be good forever.  :eusa-think:

squonk

Gotta love contractors digging. When they were putting in the foundation for our new bldg., They hit the main lines from the Generator to the switch gear like 3 times. Then when digging for the new switch gear they broke a pipe. It was dry so they thought no problem. Turned out is was connected to a main roof drain and when we had a storm, A conference room filled up with about a foot of water. Then these same guys whilst digging for some outdoor lighting, cut through a 3" gas line!  :scared-eek:

But the best for me was I was in a basement ready to go up an elevator. I heard a scraping noise and the light above me came down followed by an excavator bucket and sparks!  :jaw: I just missed getting hit. If I did, I might be retired now.  :)

• Like 1