Sign in to follow this  
kenbone8383

Type of Gas/Oil to use?

kenbone8383

I have a 1964' 1054 wheel horse. What type of gas and oil should I use with it? Well rather not what type but what octane for gas? And for the oil i belive its a 4 cycle?

Thanks,

Ken

linen beige

I run all my Kohlers, including my K-241S on my 1054A, on 87 octane gas. Kohler recommends NOT using premium fuels. If you experience pinging, or predetonation then you may need to go up in octane, but make sure it's tuned well first. The pinging may be a timing issue or carbon build up in the combustion chamber.

As for which oil, that is a touchy subject as you will quickly learn if you follow the square.

I use Mobil One straight 30 weight in most of mine. Kohler recommends against using multi-viscosity oils and calls for 10 weight in colder temps. It is very rare for one of mine to run in temps below 32 degrees, so I usually don't need the thinner oil.

Teddy da Bear

SAE 30 wt. for me too.... Usually Quaker State.

GlenPettit

Premium gasoline is usually above 91 octane.

Page 5 of the Kohler Service Manual for K-series (10 hp, K-241) recommends "octane rating of 87 or higher". Because these engines usually run nearly wide-open, I was told to always use fresh 89 octane.

• Like 1

jusjeepn

Castrol sae 30 is my flavor of choice. My horses will all work/play this winter but they are in a heated garage so viscosity doesn't bother me much! :hide:

bambooheels

straight 30 weight here

bluetuna08

older engines 50's and 60's may not have had hardend valve seats which would require a lead additive to lubricate the vlave seats. I would check it out to see if those old engines have hardend vlave seats. my 1970 electro has them which means kohler was probably ahead of that curve.

Michael Bullington

SAE 30 and 87 octane for me

HorseFixer

I use the same oil as Roush Racing Uses. and 87 octane.

canam1991

it all depends on where you live -20-32 degrees 5w-30, 33-45 degrees 10w-30-10w-40 if you live anywhere it snows you will want 5w-30 if you use heavy oil like staight 30 your motor will be locked up in the cold from frozen solid oil

kenbone8383

well i live in wilmington, ma and I'm going to be using it mostly in the winter for plowing. temerature in the winter i guess you could say between 20-35 degrees. so 5w-30 oil will do the trick for the winter and 10w-30 for the warmer months?

Duff

well i live in wilmington, ma and I'm going to be using it mostly in the winter for plowing. temerature in the winter i guess you could say between 20-35 degrees. so 5w-30 oil will do the trick for the winter and 10w-30 for the warmer months?

Yep. I'm just up the road a piece from you in NH and that's the combo I'll be running!

Duff :hide:

zanepetty

I've done ALOT of studying about this subject. I have made the choice to run Kohler 30 wt oil in my 753. Kohler oils are formulated for small engines so they have all the lubricants in it that flat tappet engines like. Most automotive oils have had the lubricants taken out do to emissions regulations and the cat converters on cars. In the winter I'll switch to 10-30. As for gas I run 87. This is just my opinion based on my studying though! Not the gospel:) I'm not saying anyone is wrong. Hope this helps and welcome to red square:)

rmaynard

And for everyone out there, do a search on the web for ethanol-free gas availability in your area. I have started to run e-free gas in all my small engines. Just had to replace the tanks and fuel lines on my leaf blowers this year due to damage to the lines and tank grommets caused by ethanol in the gas. I'm hoping that is all that is wrong.

A big "thank you" goes out to our useless EPA. :banghead:  Can't wait for them to start demanding the use of e-15 in the near future.

slammer302

I love ethanol banghead

zanepetty

Useless is an understatement. BLOWS my mind