localdj77

Keep my "in need of help" 37" or buy a 36"?

localdj77

So some of you might know I've been chasing spindle issues with my 37" for my 312-8.  Put all new bearings, spindle housing, wheels and blades in an attempt to make it finally cut straight but now I'm dealing with what looks to be a bend spindle shaft.

Well a 36" rear discharge came up for sale for $150 and assuming its in good running shape would I be wise to change?  Is the 36 more reliable?  Is it easier to find parts for?

Thoughts???

SethL1984

If you're having that much trouble with your 37" I'd go to the 36"; just understand the 36" is most likely a rear discharge (mulching) deck and your 37" is a side discharge. I've got a 36" and love the little thing!

Plus you've got a bunch of new parts for it! 

localdj77

So you like the 36 better then?  I wonder if my blades and what not that I bought for the 37 would fit the 36???

dcrage

No history with the 36" RD, but going on 25 yrs for the 37" and I can not imagine a more rugged, reliable (and used/abused) deck. So far all I have needed to replace we're some pulleys and new blades. Haven't needed to chase down any of the internal parts.

My impression is that there were a lot more of the 37" SDs out than any of the RDs from that generation.

localdj77

Thats strange.......I was always under the impression the 37 was more rare......huh

MalMac

In my opinion the 36 RD is the best deck they came out with. I have and use all the different sizes from a 60 to the 36. The weakest deck is the 42 SD which is prone to being sprung easy. The 60 is a monster deck that's basically indestructible. That 36 is strong and gives a good cut. For small yards and getting in and out of and between obstacles I think that 36 RD wins hands down. They all have pro's and con's but my favorite is the 36. The 37 is not a bad deck just a oddball deck compared to what is normally used by the Wheel Horse crowd.

localdj77

So do you think $150 is a fair price for a good deck?

localdj77

Just talked to the guy selling the 36.  Seemed to really know his horse!  He mentioned he has a 42, 37, and 36.  He said the 37's never cut as good as any other deck because they were made for the cheaper "box store" wheel horses and are lighter duty and tended to have many problems.  I sure have seen that!

He said his 36 is ready to go and needs nothing so it looks like I will be either selling my 37 or parting it out and selling the new parts I just bought.  Anyone need anything?!?!?!  lol

SethL1984

So you like the 36 better then?  I wonder if my blades and what not that I bought for the 37 would fit the 36???

For all around mowing yes. I doubt your blades will fit, seeing as the 36" has 3 small blades compared too two high lifts on the 37".But to the best of my knowledge the bearings/spindles/hangers are the same.

Get a set of new mulching blades for that thing and you'll be in business! 

As far as price 150 might not be bad in great condition! And as always when ever you bring new equipment into your garage give it the once over and check the level, grease situation, ect, ect. 

Also, if you do buy it, ask to see it operate as well. Cutting grass isn't necessary but listening to the overall operation of bearing and for any rattle are a wise move. It also gives the chance for an honest buy, if you hear bearings squealing badly I'd offer 75 considering you'll need to replace them.

Let us know what you do! And as always get pictures!!

clueless

I have both and prefer the 36 over the 37. I think the 36 and 42RDs are the best decks for yards under an acre especially with trees and beds.If the 36 is in good shape get it, parts new and used aren't that hard to find. You will need a new belt and change one of the V pulleys with a flat pulley on your mule drive. Also check the right front of the 37 where the deck bolts to the carriage, over the years they can start to develop cracks. IMHO if this is your only why of cutting grass you should have a back up deck when your working are waiting on parts for the other, this time of year grass never sleeps.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Chris in Florida.

localdj77

Yeah my 37 deck is not in the shape but all the housing bearing wheels and such are either new or good shape.  Just not sure if the deck is straight although like I said he mentioned he has yet to have a straight cutting 37

pacer

Couple other things -- look the deck over closely for cracks around the mounting brackets, these deck are notorious for getting them and can quickly worsen. Another is rust, if anything, rust is a greater problem than cracks - and, more difficult to correct. These arent necessarily a deal breaker but its wise to be aware of them.

localdj77

Thanks!

stevasaurus

As far as price...I think you can pick up a 36" deck for like $75 to $100 at most shows that have parts.  The $150 is not out of line, but it is on the top end...it had better be in great shape for that money.  We are having a swap meet tomorrow (Saturday) in Mentone, Ind...don't know how close you are, but I would bet you would have a choice there...for less money.  :)

localdj77

Yeah I would LOVE to go tomorrow and had planned on it but my son is having some issues so I can't make it.  Plus an hour and a half drive isn't free!  lol  Hope I can make the next one!

• Like 1

WH nut

I have run all the different decks, and to tell you the truth I love the 37 inch. And to answer your question on swapping parts. The answer is no

boovuc

I love my little 37" side-discharge. It cuts "nicer" than the 42" and 48" SD decks I had. I had a rear discharge 42" deck that worked well as long as the grass wasn't that tall.

I wonder if your 37" deck housing isn't sprung. I never knew a 37" to do it but 42 and 48" decks have and they are the number 1 cause of weird cuts.

localdj77

Well I am moving forward with the 36"......once I get my hands on it I will determine which I want to keep.  Stay tuned because I may end up parting or selling the 37 as a whole.

clueless

If he has the mule drive see if you can get it or your going to have to change one of the pulleys on yours, also the belt. Chris.