Yardscalper

Mower height

Yardscalper

I'm new to the forum. I recently restored a 314-8 with a 42 inch side discharge mower deck, (0542m504). I mowed grass for the first time last week and even the highest setting, with new gauge wheels the mowing height is too low. I have leveled the deck from front to back and inflated the tractor tires to tthe correct PSI. Any ideas?

daveoman1966

Your 314-8 should have this deck height adjustment stop / set knob. Raise the deck by the hand lever to about where you want the grass height, then turn the knob to set that position. If that isn't enough, look underneath and reset the chain link length by turning the trunion (20) on the threaded eye-bolt (22). If that still isn't enough maybe reset the trunion in a different hole of the rock shaft (19).

post-1200-0-88849800-1429851357_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-00212200-1429851475_thumb.jp

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

Dave has you covered....... :wwp:  and welcome to :rs:

Yardscalper

Thanks for all the responses! My 314-8 doesn't have a dial height adjustment. The only way I see to adjust the cutting height is with the adjustable gauge wheels. In the upper most setting it is still low (about 2 inches)

daveoman1966

The 2nd part of my reply was:

If that isn't enough, look underneath and reset the chain link length by turning the trunion (20) on the threaded eye-bolt (22). If that still isn't enough maybe reset the trunion in a different hole of the rock shaft (19).

So, look up under the left side foot rail and you should see the long lever (27) hanging down, with a chain connecting to an eye-bolt (22).  You can either shorten the chain connection by turning the trunion (20) further onto the threads of the eyebolt (22), OR... unbolt the chain from the lift bar (27) and bolt to the next chain link ..OR... move the trunion (2) further to the end of the rockshaft (19).  

• Like 1