mr_speegs

16x5.50-8 tires and tubes

mr_speegs

After consulting the forum and trying to fix something on my own, here I am...

My 876 got a flat in one of its front 16x5.50-8 tires (originals). The tube was not salvageable and I know that this particular tire/tube size hasn't been manufactured since the 1970s. I tried using a 16x6.50-8 tube in the tire but probably ruined it due to wrinkling/pinching. So now it's flat again. Short of getting all new wider tires and thereby longer spindles too, does anyone have any suggestions? My Horse is a worker and the original front tires are perfectly serviceable, so I'd like to keep costs down. 

wallfish

I would think that 16x6.5 tube should work fine since the difference in size is only 1 inch wider.

Is it possible the tube got caught on or pinched by whatever tool was used to put the tire back on the rim? Or, could something still be poking into the tire or stuck on the inside if it? Could the edge of the hole in the rim for the stem be cutting into it? Where did the new tube fail? (outer edge, inner side, stem) Same place as the old one?

• Like 2

RedRanger

I would think that 16x6.5 tube should work fine since the difference in size is only 1 inch wider.

Is it possible the tube got caught on or pinched by whatever tool was used to put the tire back on the rim? Or, could something still be poking into the tire or stuck on the inside if it? Could the edge of the hole in the rim for the stem be cutting into it? Where did the new tube fail? (outer edge, inner side, stem) Same place as the old one?

Agree.  I just put new tubes in my oem tires on the 867 and the new tubes work with a variety of sizes.  I'm guessing you either pinched the tube or have something else causing it to fail.

Edited by RedRanger

Tankman

Tube sizes fit various size tires. You must've pinched something or the rim cut the stem.

Careful, try again.   :)

raider9

I realize I'm like 2 years late, but I ran into the same issue and I wanted to add this post so that other people can find the right tube. Jacks small engine carries a tube that fits the wheel horse 16x5.50-8 tires. Here's the link to the page.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/martin-wheel/t408