RedRider

Mayhew's Decals?

RedRider

I talked to Midwest Custom Graphics today about an special request and was referred to Mayhew's decals to inquire about one of the items.  The problem is I can't seem to find any solid information or get in touch with them.  Can anyone confirm if they are still in business and what the best way to get a hold of them might be? I am hoping to get a set of decals to finish up my tractor before the big show in PA, so I do have somewhat of a deadline to meet.  Thanks! - Seth

bmsgaffer

Did you talk to Terry himself?

Based on my cursory search Mayhew doesnt do it anymore or if he does its a shot in the dark if you hear back from him or not... But all this was posted around 2010 or so.

I thought Terry (Vinylguy) could make all the decals? :scratchead:

Forest Road

Are you familiar with Terry? Many of us have had great results with his stuff.

http://www.redoyourhorse.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmaynard

Ed Mayhew is hit or miss, mostly miss. He is usually at the WHCC show each year with a promise to get a web site up and running "soon". Never happens. He does not do special orders, but because he is the only decal maker authorized by Toro to reproduce Wheel Horse stuff, he might have some that are not available other places.

In the long run, you are better off with Midwest.  What is it that you want?

Martin

Midwest Custom Graphics is Terry's business. I don't know the particulars of why he referred you to Mayhew, maybe it was a decal or decals that he couldn't do a particular way that you wanted? I gather by the "special request" that it's something out of the ordinary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Martin

rmaynard

One thing that Terry can't do is anything on clear.

RedRider

I am basically looking for a set of decals with an extra thick clear overlay on them to give the deep look of the originals.  I picked up few NOS decals (but not enough for a full set) last year and compared to the reproductions there is an obvious difference in overall appearance.  Terry's decals are top notch and the artwork is excellent, but I was explaining what I wanted with the clear laminate and he didn't think his equipment could do that and suggested that I check with Mayhew's because they use a different manufacturing process.  I was really hoping to get in touch with him before I went to the show, I was hoping to have my tractor completed and ready to display. 

JackC

Possibly try auto graphics limited.  The make some decals for Wheel Horse and they may be able to make what you are looking for.  They are in Canada.

http://www.autographicsltd.com/index.php?pagename=contact

rmaynard

PM me with a list of what you want. Ed Mayhew works 2 miles from where I live and I will try to get in touch with him.

• Like 3

Vinylguy

I am basically looking for a set of decals with an extra thick clear overlay on them to give the deep look of the originals.  I picked up few NOS decals (but not enough for a full set) last year and compared to the reproductions there is an obvious difference in overall appearance.  Terry's decals are top notch and the artwork is excellent, but I was explaining what I wanted with the clear laminate and he didn't think his equipment could do that and suggested that I check with Mayhew's because they use a different manufacturing process.  I was really hoping to get in touch with him before I went to the show, I was hoping to have my tractor completed and ready to display. 

I am going to try an idea I have and see if I can get the results. I will do a hood set for the 500 without the racing stripe to save on media in case it does not work. I will post a picture of the actual results when completed..

• Like 6

Vinylguy

Sorry about the poor images. I finished my test and the following picture shows one of Mayhews decals at the bottom. It is a 3mil vinyl which looks screen printed and then a 9 mil thick heavy gloss vinyl laminate

and cut with a die. the decal in the middle is made using a 4 color solvent ink  process on 3 mil digital wrap air escape vinyl and 1 layer of gloss 3 mil laminate for a 6 mil thick decal. the top 500 special hood stand

decal was made the same way but I added 2 more layers of clear gloss 3 mil laminate to make it a total of 12 mil thick. I find the 9 mil laminate on Ed's reproductions still have a deeper finished look due to it being one thick layer as opposed

to three thinner layers? Anyway I am pretty sure the original 500 specials came with white wheels and white background decals. Hopefully someone can chime in that has a clean original to verify. Many of the tractors from the 60s

were exposed to the elements and the white begins to yellow a bit. I am probably wrong but my theory is that if the wheels were white the decals were also and if the wheels were linen beige then they used decals that had a linen beige background to match the wheel color?

THE COLORS ARE OFF A BIT DUE TO THE CAMERA ANGLE AND LIGHTING.

gallery_74_592_532888.png

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 3