rockinhorse

KOHLER 16 HP WIRING PROBLEM

rockinhorse

OK i am starting another project tractor.  I got a B-60 with a 16 HP kohler. Yes it sounds like over kill but i was wanting the engine. Engine model #  is K341,  Spec#  71179  serial #  2502701363. Where to start engine will turn over but very little spark.  The B-60 is a 8 spd.  61-07K801   14890       6068.  I think the p/o may have used the same voltage regulator i have pics.  I want to switch wiring back to the basic wiring diagram like Save Old Iron helped me with ( see breakerless starter switch  July 4,2012).  From what i am told the B-60 had a 7hp kohler. My 1st question is will the voltage regulator on the B-60 work on a 16 HP engine?  #2 is the ignition switch the same as a OEM 103990 ?  #3 I looked up the voltage regulator on Kohler site and it did not give me an OEM #?  #4 what amp stator  is on the 16 HP ?   I have found there are 4 different amp stators for kohler.  The pics a the voltage regulator from the B-60 i think.  I can not find any numbers on it.   If this sound confusing sorry .

post-4384-0-34460800-1429577123_thumb.jp

post-4384-0-09024300-1429577148_thumb.jp

post-4384-0-47840800-1429577175_thumb.jp

post-4384-0-37281100-1429577202_thumb.jp

Save Old Iron

The stator in the 16hp is most likely a 15 amp stator.

I doubt the stator / reg for the 7hp is anywhere near that capacity - so no, the reg would not be suitable on that assumption alone. I'm not even sure the 7hp's had a regulator  - what you posted does not look like a voltage regulator assy.

Edited by Save Old Iron

Save Old Iron

pull the ignition switch out and we can have a look at the terminal configuration.

gwest_ca

The replacement stator for the K341-71179 is listed as part # 237878-S described as 15/20 amp stator kit. Are they supplying a 20 amp for a 15 amp replacement?

The 1976 B-60 didn't have a charging system because it was magneto ignition with recoil start.

Is that metal box the ignition interlock module for the safety switches?

Garry

rockinhorse

Save Old Iron  the switch is a 5 spade switch.  It has the same markings as the switch  OEM  103990. But i could not find any numbers on the switch.  P/o had a wire going from the Positive side of the solenoid ( big post) to a spade on switch.  I wired engine like you showed me on diagram and put another voltage regulator i had on tractor but it would not start.  With key on i could take 2 screwdrivers and jump solenoid and engine would turn over.  Can there be more than on type of 5 spade switch?  I will get pics soon and  post them.

rockinhorse

gwest_ca   I have no idea what the box is . The 2 stator wires where plugged into it with the orange wire going to the ignition switch. There are no numbers on it .  It got hot at some time to melt the plug.

gwest_ca

gwest_ca   I have no idea what the box is . The 2 stator wires where plugged into it with the orange wire going to the ignition switch. There are no numbers on it .  It got hot at some time to melt the plug.

That would be the voltage regulator then but not original to the B-60. It must have come with the 16hp engine. The wires did not have a clean tight connection to the terminals - that is what causes them to heat up.

Garry

rockinhorse

OK  I got the pictures hope it sheds some light on the problem.  I can not find any part # on switch. Let me know what you think,

thanks  Karl

post-4384-0-97703000-1429748858_thumb.jp

post-4384-0-60006700-1429748898_thumb.jp

post-4384-0-52478900-1429748946_thumb.jp

rockinhorse

GWEST_CA    yes  i think it got hot  it melted the plastic pc . pretty good.  It's funny the engine would still turn over even as bad as that looked. Haven't had time to mess with today.  Do they make voltage regulators for wheel horse's  that look like that?

rmaynard

That switch looks to be the correct one. I am assuming that this B-60 does not have an ammeter/regulator plate on the hood stand, so the typical C-160 (16 HP version of the same tractor) wiring diagram is not exactly correct. The K341-71179 is not a Wheel Horse engine, but a service engine, meaning it was a replacement, not made specifically for any make. It probably has a 15/20 amp stator under the flywheel. However, just for starting purposes, the stator and regulator can be eliminated from the equation.

This is how you should be able to wire it up without an ammeter. One big lug of the solenoid goes directly to the positive side of the battery with a heavy cable. A small red wire also connected to that lug should go directly to the "B" (battery) terminal of the switch. The body of the solenoid should be attached to the engine to provide ground. The other large lug connects to the lug on the starter. The body of the starter provides ground.

A wire connected to the small lug on the solenoid normally goes to the clutch safety interlock switch, from there to the PTO safety interlock switch, and on to the  "S" start terminal of the switch. For test purposes, bypass the interlocks and goes directly to the "S" terminal

That is all you you need to do to get the starter to run via the switch.

Edited by rmaynard

BOWTIE

HELLO, I HAVE THE SAME REPLACEMENT MOTOR ON MY C120 TRACTOR. IT HAS THE COMMON WH 15AMP RECTIFIER,ORIGINAL BATTERY IGNITION SWITCH 103990. IF YOU USE THE MAGNETO TYPE SWITCH 103991 IT WILL START, BUT THE CHARGING SYSTEN AND LIGHTS WON'T WORK. HOPE THIS HELPS.

• Like 1

rockinhorse

rmaynard

OK small wire from positive side of solenoid to battery terminal on switch.

wire from small lug on solenoid to S terminal on switch.

wire from + ( pos.) side of coil to to I terminal on switch.

wire from voltage regulator to R terminal on switch.

Does this sound right?  Also i used a voltage regulator from another w/h tractor will this work to keep the battery charged?

From picture above of regulator do you think  it was the right regulator?

thanks for your help

Karl

gwest_ca

The regulator you have is part number 109313 and used 1982-1984 with the single cylinder Kohler engines. The larger 15 amp finned regulator should plug in and work fine. Make sure you are not using a 10 amp finned regulator. The terminal positions on the regulator are different.

One stator wire connected to the Bat (+) wire on the regulator should work. The finned regulators used 3 terminals but the one stator wire is connected to the Bat (+) terminal inside the regulator. Same thing.

Garry

post-120-0-85494800-1429870425_thumb.jpg

BOWTIE

HELLO, IF YOU NEED A 3 TERMINAL REGULATOR/RECTIFIER FOR A 15AMP KOHLER. I HAVE ONE ON EBAY FOR SALE RIGHT NOW FOR ABOUT HALF PRICE.  IT IS NEW IN THE BOX AND TESTED KOHLER UNIT.