Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bullington

Painting Nuts and Bolts

Michael Bullington

Just wondering on your restorations do you paint the bolts and nuts red? my last tractor I did not and it looked good, but Ive seen all the bolts painted that look good also,,,the only down side is if you have to remove something its extremely tough to do without tearing up the paint on the nuts.

How did wheel horse make these new painted or unpainted? or maybe some was painted and maybe some was not...any clues?

Brian1045

I say it's up to the owner. Personally I do not like the head of the nuts/bolts painted. I think the unpainted bolt heads make the tractor look fresher and newer.

Just my 2 cents. :banghead:

KyBlue

how about using some polished stainless hardware?? itll never rust

sorekiwi

I'm going through the same quandry right now on my Lawn Ranger. It seems that most were painted origonally, I think the tractor was assembled, then painted.

I like them painted, but I really dont like them painted with chips and gouges from doing them up. And I also like to have pain underneath them too - my horses are rusty enough with out a lack of protection.

When I can I paint the heads on the visible side of the piece, and try to tighten it from the other side so I dont have to grab the painted piece with a wrench.

But I think the best way would be to paint all the pieces, put it together, and then put on the top coat. But I probably wont....

nwpahorseman

if you think you want to paint them all first stick them in a piece of old styrofoam with the heads sticking out , you can paint a bunch at a time that way

HorseFixer

how about using some polished stainless hardware?? it'll never rust

Ya gotta be careful with stainless, stainless is just what is says stain less depending on the grade it can still tarnish and or rust. If it requires tensile strength stainless is softer and threads can Gaul. It doesn't rust like steel but in some instances I found that it can tarnish or rust somewhat. If ya coat it with wax it will stay looking pretty good.

Sounds like a good idea on the styrafoam trick :hide:

Duke

sorekiwi

if you think you want to paint them all first stick them in a piece of old styrofoam with the heads sticking out , you can paint a bunch at a time that way

I punched some holes in the bottom of a cardboard box with a screwdriver, and just stick them in there.

Brian1045

If you want to keep them unpainted... ask your lady to go and buy some really good clear nail polish. I won't be seen buying the stuff myself :hide: .

But it works as well if not better than clear coat, to protect the metal look finish.