WHEEL HORSE 312-8

First 520 I've ever touched

WHEEL HORSE 312-8

A friend came to me saying his 520 is only running on front cylinder can any one guess what's wrong y back is not firing

post-13960-0-14184000-1429486207_thumb.j

post-13960-0-47918700-1429486309_thumb.j

post-13960-0-30541500-1429486399_thumb.j

daveoman1966

Fouled plug, loose plug wire, could be many things.  I had same issue and found that the intake manifold gasket was  shot, letting too much air to cylinder. 

312Hydro

Switch the plug wires and see if the other cylinder fires. I had 1 cylinder firing on my 520h and it turned out to be a bad coil.

• Like 2

WHEEL HORSE 312-8

It has a BLOW connecting rod to piston

ericj

that's why i do a compression test first  when i have one only running on one cylinder 

eric j

• Like 3

BESTDOGEVER

That happens a lot to the 18 and 20 horse onan engines if you are lucky the crank is still okay but you will probably have to replace both rods because they have changed them and they would not be balanced. I had the same thing on my 518h when I got it

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

Hi all please excuse my lack of manners I am new to the forum but have been a wheel horse owner since 1988 when I got my 310-8 I recently got back into them with a 518h that needed the rear cylinder rebuilt after the previous owner let it run out of oil. I owe you guys a big thank you for the info I got here that made rebuilding it a lot easier. Also I wanted to say don't be too quick to give up on the crank as they are pretty strong mine had a layer of melted aluminum from the rod on it and cleaned up pretty well .Good luck with your 520

• Like 4

WHEEL HORSE 312-8

Everyone is so awsome here

elliot ness

One thing that kills a cylinder is fins that are full of debris, I take an air hose and blow out all the fins on the cylinders after every 2 or 3 hours of use. The debris that collects in the fins create hot spots inside the cylinders, by not letting out the heat.  and on the twins, always keep the screen on the fly wheel side clean, Its where the motor get all the forced air to cool the cylinders. And lastly change the motor oil often, it's a lot cheaper then a new motor.

BESTDOGEVER

That's true and with the onan they tend to get the screen covered up with grass really fast add that to the high hour machines using a bit more oil and you have a recipe for disaster