tkol1969

D 180 help for my son

tkol1969

Well my sons 854 has tranny issues and last night about an hour after paying off his D180 loan from dad his D gave out. Looking for advice on where to start . while tugging on a log the tractor stopped and with motor running had a terrible grinding noise and wouldnt move.motor seems fine. feeling bad for him. any suggestions.

pfrederi

First look at coupling between motor and pump.  The splines may have stripped, motor turning but not the pump.

Second open the tow valve and push the tractor any weird noises from the rear end ?  Broken differential bolts etc.... 

1maidenfan

Sounds like diff breakage. As long as case is not broke, fixing them is not that hard.

Good luck.

We will help with any questions.

alswagg

I bet the coupler splines spun. That makes a terrible sound. I repaired mine with drilling and tapping for a set screw on the load side of the coupler. Fairly easy fix. If the lift hydraulics don't work check the coupler

I bet the coupler splines spun. That makes a terrible sound. I repaired mine with drilling and tapping for a set screw on the load side of the coupler. Fairly easy fix. If the lift hydraulics don't work check the coupler

Niagara D

I also had the same problem just today. I picked up a new to me '73 d180 yesterday and after just a half hour playing in the yard had trouble. After towing her back to the barn and a few hours of gradual tear down found a stripped coupler. I took the one off my 160 with a broken rod (awaiting a repower) and will bring the good coupler to work tomorrow to drill and tap for a set screw. The shaft is a little buggered up but it wasn't too bad with the new coupler.