Racinbob

Wheel Horse 1045

Racinbob

My daughter saw this for sale on the side of the road on her way home from work and sent me these pics. She wanted to know how similar to the Commando 800 I restored for my grandson (her son). It also has a very nice Wheel Horse dump cart but I can't post that pic until I hide the phone number on the for sale sign. From the pics it looks pretty darn nice. There are a few discrepancies but I don't see anything that's a big deal. Actually, my only question is if this belongs to anybody here. Oh yea, it's just outside of South Bend, IN. 

post-8408-0-20135000-1429314031_thumb.jp

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

Looks great but...  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

why hide the phone #? 

953 nut

Nice, I think it is a 1055, but not sure, when are you going to get it?

Racinbob

Craig, I just don't want to post somebodies phone number unless he says it's OK. My daughter hasn't talked to him and nobody was home when I called.

Richard, I'm basing it on assuming the belt guard decal is the only correct one on it. Here's what the model list says on it:

1964 model 1045 - Often considered a 1964 model but in a 1965 manual also. It has been said there were 1100 units built.

I'm a thousand miles away so I only have the picture to go by. I think the only difference from a 1045 and 1055 is the decal.

953 nut

Bob, the numbering system used by  :wh: in the '60s was; first number or numbers tell the horse power,                         10

next to last number,    0 or 4 - non electric start

5 - electric start,                                          5

7 - Automatic (all were electric start)

last number, year built, 1965                                                               5

1055

No big deal, great looking addition to the herd and I would rather have electric start no matter what the decal says. 

:ROTF: I think the 1045 seat and rear fenders were more like the older style horses too.

Edited by 953 nut

Racinbob

Thanks Richard. It's funny. I just got done explaining that to my wife. Keep in mind that there are several anomalies in that numbering system and this is one of them. As I mentioned in post #4, in the model list Wheel Horse basically admitted that this was just that. Obviously they couldn't call it a 1054 because they had already used that number on the big machine. The 1045 was an electric start confirmed by the wiring diagram for it.

Racinbob

Oh geez!!!!! I just discovered something else. Per the owners manual picture the 1045 had the fender and seat setup like the other 64's. You know, the tool box and two fenders bolted on. The 1055 had the setup as in the picture. I just tried to call on it again but still nobody answers. If I do get i touch with him maybe I can get the number on the tag. I'll also ask if it's OK to post the phone # as long as that's not a forum no-no.

zieg72

I always thought the 1045 was the transition year, round fixed fenders, square hood?post-96-0-38446400-1429368165_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Callen

Zieg beat me to it,LOL

post-5271-0-24692200-1429368127_thumb.jp

Edited by Callen
  • Like 1

Racinbob

I always thought the 1045 was the transition year, round fixed fenders, square hood?attachicon.gifWHT5.jpg

That's correct. This one likely is a 1055 with the wrong designation or maybe somebody built it up this way. You'll also notice the pto change and some other things

OK now, I need divine guidance from the powers here. I just got off the phone with the owner, Mike. Great guy and we talked for.............a looooonnnnnng time. He gave me the go ahead to post the cart picture with his phone number. Trust me guys, you'll really like the cart. Question for the mods/admin, is it ok to post the picture with the number knowing the owner gave me his approval?

stevasaurus

You need a hand picking it up Bob?  Should be no problem putting up the phone number...he had it displayed on the side of the road.  You could black it out using paint brush.  I am heading that way next week if you really need a hand.  :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

I appreciate that Steve but I'm not getting it. My daughter up there was thinking about it but I think they'd be better off with something newer considering what they will be doing with it. They also need a low range. For me, I'd prefer something I could restore once I'm done with the Suburban. A 704 would really tweak my interest.

The owner of this one, Mike, doesn't care if I show his number but I was thinking it might need to be in the classified section and then there's the issue of him not being a member but I am working on that. He worked at the Wheel Horse plant for 4-5 years when it was in South Bend but isn't really a collector. After our very long winded and enjoyable conversation he might have second thoughts about selling it. I told him I'd wait for the verdict as to what I can do on the forum and then call him again, probably tomorrow afternoon. He liked that because it gives him time to decide if he wants to keep it. I guess it was sorta like I transmitted the illness to him over the phone line. :)

Thanks again Steve, you're the best :bow-blue:

• Like 2

953 nut

:woohoo:   A NEW MEMBER AND NO ONE MISSED OUT ON A GOOD BUY! :text-bravo: 

Bob, another good example of the numbering system being a problem is the 1054A, in 1965 they couldn't call the big boy a 1055 because they already had that number being used on the short frame model, so they added an A.

PS, none of the hood decals on the 1045/1055 ?? were right for either one.  :text-lol: 

• Like 1

Racinbob

The current owner didn't know the decals were wrong as well as the PTO mods or that it may not be a 1045. It really doesn't matter though. I told him the folks here would catch everything and then some. I got him on the forum as we were talking and he was very surprised and impressed with the enthusiasm the folks here have for these great machines. I'll be talking to him again tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 2

papaglide

Bob, your new forum job is to be our recruiter!

See a wheel horse with a phone number......call them, show them the light and bring them into the pack!

• Like 2

Callen

After enlarging the pic, That could be a 1046. The engine is setting on a plate and it is a long frame.

Racinbob

It's pretty darn easy to recruit for and promote good things like this site. :handgestures-thumbsup:

I'll be calling the owner, Mike, this afternoon. I did talk to my daughter, Heather, this morning and she understands why it's not a good choice for their needs. If you remember in another thread, her neighbor, Larry, has the 1976 C series that I bought new. I was up there a few months ago and posted some pictures of it. It's been beat up but still runs great. Larry was looking to sell it but hasn't yet and Heather said they may buy it and use it until I can get up there with my trailer to bring it down here. She told me that in her mind that will always be my tractor. Pretty cool.

I think the best thing to do is to get Mike to join the forum and post his tractor himself keeping me out of it. That is, if he still wants to sell it. My conversation with him yesterday may have taken a tractor off the market but I don't think anybody here will complain. One thing he did say to me was that he'd never consider parting it out even though he knew he could get more $$ for it that way.

• Like 2

Racinbob

Well, I'm sure everybody was on the edge of their seats waiting for a picture of the trailer. Here she be.

post-8408-0-52927100-1429468947_thumb.jp

Sorry, no phone number. Mike has decided to keep it for now. He didn't realize the following these little red machines have and his interest has been tweaked. He asked how to go about joining the forum so we went through that. He also knows about Mentone and other events coming up. The next time I'm at the kids house up there I'm going to make it a point to meet him. Great guy.

• Like 1

papaglide

I am very happy with his decision. Way to go Bob!