mels

Home from surgery

mels

Those of you who've been following my resto thread of my lovely Brides' RJ tractor    know that it was supposed to be a project we worked on together while I was recovering from surgery to my knee.  Best of intentions, right?  Lol  

Well, once the RJ was (after nearly 20 years) brought inside we became more motivated than we'd expected so as a result the dismantled tractor is now in the back of my '84 245 winter beater volvo wagon along with the nice original wheelhorse dump trailer Steve turned us on to yesterday, all waiting to head just 3 miles up the road for sandblasting then some sweet custom paint in memory of my former in-laws both of whom my Wife lost to cancer way too early in her adult life relationship with them.

Had dropped the RJ's wheels and seat pan off at my friend Mike Showahs' shop in Danbury (CHEM-TRON PowderCoating and Industrial Painting) a couple few days ago, Steve popped the tires off the trailers' wheels yesterday for me and wouldn't you know Mikes' shop was the first place Wifey and I stopped on our way Home from the Surgical Center this morning?   :)

So, Mike has all six wheels which he'll be degreasing, sandblasting and PC'ing the brightest glossiest white he has.

In the meantime, everything else awaits patiently in the 245 and here I sit in my temporary command center...

post-14606-0-89453300-1429289893_thumb.j

Edited by mels
  • Like 2

squonk

Best of luck with the recovery. I had knee surgery just about 1 yr ago. Arthroscopic to repair torn meniscus. Knee still acts up some but my main problem was  the pain I would get while driving..That is now solved. Funny thing I took almost the exact same picture while sitting in my chair after the surgery.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Don't try to force the recovery. Keep the knee propped up, follow the doctor's advice, and remember that the RJ will someday get done. Over do it with the knee and the RJ will be the least of your problems. :thumbs:

• Like 1

953 nut

Praying for a rapid recovery! I know the RJ project will help take your mind off the pain. Might want to change the channel from the news to RFDTV or Comedy Central; lots less painful!   :ROTF:        :text-lol: 

Get well Soon!   

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Micheal Jorden, when he was playing for the Bulls, had knee surgery the same time I did.  He was back playing with the Bulls in 2 weeks.  I was home for 5 months...grafted some bone from one side to the other on my knee.  Just trying to say it takes time, depending on what they did.  Do the re-hab like they tell you...they know what they are talking about.  I got a bunch of smoked meat books from the library when I was laid up...still trying some of those recipes.  :)

• Like 2

mels

Thanks Mike.  Pretty much the same procedure here this morning.  Need the same done to my left knee later this year.  Doc has some goop he injects into the knee to help also which was an alternative to this procedure and may still need to be done if what happens with yours happens with me too.  Can't remember the name of the stuff, will post up a link when it comes to me.

Bob, you're 111% right about that.  I'm a Combat Veteran and just a motivated MF'r who is "ON" 25 hours a day and always pushing through whatever needs to be done BUT, after having a number of operations and surgical repairs over the past 30 years I know full well the importance of how really unimportant work and working can be while recovering.  In the case of Cindy's tractor, this is kinda why I finished knocking her all down a few days ago and loaded her all up last night before Supper and bible study so all we have to do is drive up the road and drop it all off.  Give us something to look forward to without actually having to manage it.   :) 

shallowwatersailor

I'll chime in and agree on taking your time with recovery. I had surgery last year on my right foot. The original plan was to take five weeks leave that I had accumulated. Turned out that I took another eight days with no rush to get back to teaching. My students were so well behaved that my sub wouldn't take the additional days. He even confided with me that there were days he didn't want to come in, and wondered how I was able to do it all year! The extra days made a huge difference on my overall recovery. A few weeks later I pulled the plug and retired at the end of the year.

Take your time as one slight turn the wrong way could be trouble. Then you can enjoy the rest of the restoration.

• Like 1

mels

Lol, I hear ya 'Nut.

Steve you're right man no two the same for sure.  Wifey is a semi-retired Chef of 36 years and runs a smoker like a smoked meat fairy.  It's like food heaven here.  Woke up Saturday morning at 0500-ish to the incredible aroma of 36 chicken breasts being grilled up wafting up from outside our bedroom window.  For about three years we volunteer up at the "soup kitchen" in New Milford the second Saturday of every month with a couple other folks from our church and man, she really goes all out to bring those guests the freshest, best tasting meal they may have all month.  The Lord has truly blessed her with amazing food skill.  Funny thing is I can't do much more than grill burgers and spread peanut butter out to the edge of the bread LOL but I'm a cookbook junkie.  Word of advice, once you sunbscribe to Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country and get on their cookbook of the month club, it's hard to say no!   :)   

• Like 1

squonk

Take your time and when the leg get's tired sit. Just make sure no one is around with a camera or this may happen to you!  :)

post-2380-0-22321800-1429303072.jpg

• Like 4

mels

Roger that, 'Sailor.  Congratulations on your retirement!  What a rewarding career, teaching.  Looking forward to meeting some of you guys at the BIG show this year.  GTG's with common-ground folks from different forums is an unbeatable way to spend some really good time.

Squonk, great picture LOL!  Just a few years ago I was in a wheelchair following surgery to my right foot and I couldn't shut off no matter how hard I tried.  Ended up going back in and finishing wiring one of our laboratories I had rushed to rough the night before that surgery.  Not that I no longer care, I'm just in a place where I'm better able to shut off or at least slow down and re-direct.  Workers Comp tells my boss it'll be 6 weeks before they want me back to work.  She laughed, knowing I can't make it THAT long but it's good to know I have the flexibility.

Clear blue sunny skies and 75 here tomorrow, will migrate out onto the back porch for some sun and read the "Two-stroke Tuners Handbook".  Porting a saw or two sounds pretty low-impact doesn't it?   :)  

Edited by mels
  • Like 1

C-101plowerpower

Mels, god speed on your recovery. i'm lucky i haven't had any serious surgery. please tell me more about that two stroke tuners handbook :)

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Mels, speedy recovery and be well.

Glenn

• Like 1

mels

Thanks Gents! 

Here is the link to that tuners handbook:  http://www.amrca.com/tech/tuners.pdf

If it doesn't open here, copy and paste it into your browser.  If you're still unable to open it, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you as an attachment.

stevebo

Mel-

Sounds like the surgery went well. Take your time on the 59' ... Cannot wait to see it finished up. Let me know when you plan on dropping the sheet metal off to Joe for sandblasting. I may drag that Tee Nee trailer down there for him to blast. 

• Like 1

mels

Roger that, Steve.  

Depending on how flexible my knee is later next week I might give driving a go.  

Everything's loaded up, but didn't have a chance to spend any time tinkering on the cart so that and trying to decide what to do with the transmission will be the hold-ups for me. 

Gonna resist the temptation to even go look at that stuff until after my visit with the doc Monday morning.

Ken B

Take care of yourself buddy! 

• Like 1

mels

Hey Ken you're a mind-reader. Was wondering what you were up to today, next project may be that old Sea Horse, may need to pull you out of retirement and get your hands dirty! Lol

Brrly1

Knee surgeries are always fun, ask me I know. Broke both here three and a half years back wheel chair for twelve weeks. Then total right knee replacement. Let me not forget the two torn acl's tight then left. Then to start the whole thing off an arthroscopic on the right to find a torn pcl on the right which I wouldn't use anymore with the phony right knee. Trust me I feel (know) the pain

• Like 2

mels

Oooof, that's a lot John!

Nice to see you're in Toledo, Dad won many trophies Drag Racing at the Glass City Dragway and over the line in Michigan back in '62-'63.  Folks and my youngest Brother are down in BG now, try to get out there once a year or so. 

• Like 1

mels

That knee pain you're talking about is rolling on now, lol.  Been real good about just hanging here upside down in this recliner getting up only to go take a leak out back or up to bed at night.  Foot hasn't touched the floor, surprised the knee is giving me as much notice as it is, figured it was going to be pretty easy...

stevasaurus

All of this experience is great practice for retirement.  I remember getting out of bed in the morning so I could go lay on the couch all day.  That is when I got into watching Tella -Tubbies...the 1st time I watched it, they had a clip of all these little kids jumping in puddles and splashing on a rain day...just made me think about the simple things in life that make a big difference when you can't do them.  I make it a point to go out and just destroy rain puddles now.  :)  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 3

squonk

DON'T FORGET: The "Stevasaurus School of Retirement" sign up sheet will be posted at the bus stop at the Big Show. Be sure to bring the $5.00 tuition and a permission slip from your parents. The first class "Watching Paint Dry" will be held at 2:00 P.M  just outside the Maynard Hotel. Get there early for a good seat, We are expecting a "BIG" class!  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

mels

Lol, sounds like a bargain even at ten bucks!

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

well, squonk i'd be there if a ticket weren't bloody expensive :flags-netherlands:

• Like 2

mels

Just got Home from the doc, pain and swelling is normal, off to make an appointment with Frau Bruuker for PT...

post-14606-0-08598500-1429547077_thumb.j

• Like 1