alswagg

Wheel weights verses liquid filled

alswagg

I am wondering the pros and cons to wheel weights verses liquid filled.   I have filled many of my rear tires in the past with absolultly no issues.  I use RV antifreeze  in the 26" D series tires they require 13 gallons of liquid in each tire.  At 8.8lbs per gallon that is 114.4 lbs per tire so an extra 228lbs per pair.  Most cast or steel wheel weights are at most 50lbs per so at most 100 lbs total for weight.  I like the liquid also as I don't have to run high pressure.usually 5 to 10 psi.  Am I missing something? Pumping in the liquid does take a small transfer pump to pump into the tire through the valve stem, but that is still reletivly easy to do.  Note, I do run tubes in the tires.   On my Duetz compact tractor, I pumped in 38 gallons in each rear tire.  Those are very heavy. lol  Please let me know if the wheel weights have a alternative option.  thanks  Al

squonk

I like the filled tires because as your moving the movement / sloshing of the fluid in the tire kind of shoves the tractor forward when you start to get bogged down I alsorun the weights with the filled tires. 

neil

I recently purchased this tractor and these weights were already on the tractor , so I would also like to know the difference between the two post-2119-0-39981000-1429282425_thumb.jppost-2119-0-84652700-1429282487_thumb.jppost-2119-0-74673300-1429282908_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Racinbob

Al, personally I think it's all in what you'd prefer to do. Up north a friend brought me two solid chunks of steel (no hole in the center) just the right diameter to fit fully inside the rear wheels and about 5" thick. They weighed 88 lbs each and did a great job on my C-160. If I were to fill the tires I definitely would use tubes like you.

Neil, those are some awesome weights. I've never seen weights like that before.

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Liquid Weight â€“ keeps the weight exactly where it should be, low and close, plus it doesn't stick out, isn't seen and doesn't get in the way of changing tires. It can weigh (water = 8#/gal up to Rim-Guard = 11.5#/gal) and costs less than steel weights.  Con–  A puncture or leak in the tire can be a problem, dedicated tire, loaded tires are hard to move and mount.

Solid Weight â€“ is easy to move from tire to tire, lasts forever, keeps its value and is easy to add or subtract more weight.  Con–  Expensive usually, in way of lug nuts, may be unsightly.

my 2¢ opinion,  Glen

Personally, I've got 3 tractors with loaded tires and really like them, and have found that weighted FRONT tires really make a big improvement. I especially like tri-ribs on the front with weight for much better steering and control.

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 4

baerpath

I've had a couple sets of 100# per side cast ones, and 75# a side plastic.

squonk

My filled tires come out for winter use. I use one of those car wheel dollies to help mount ithem on the tractor. I jack it up, remove the summer tire and roll it into position with the dolly. I also have studs and lug nuts on all my tractors.

• Like 3

alswagg

I am thinking of adding the liquid filled duals to my loader. I have a Ditch Witch dual tire kit which fit the D series rims perfectly. I figured the weighted duals will add stability

alswagg

I also think that liquid in the tires is less stressful on the gears and hydraulics of a hydrostatic transmission. Accelerating and braking the liquid can move and rotate unlike the "flywheel effeffect" of a solid weight.

• Like 1

JackC

I like having wheel weights and a ballast box on the back that I can remove when I do not need the weight.

post-4541-0-02189700-1429320323_thumb.jp

bmsgaffer

I am thinking of adding the liquid filled duals to my loader. I have a Ditch Witch dual tire kit which fit the D series rims perfectly. I figured the weighted duals will add stability

Be careful. I wouldnt fill up a set of duals, you will almost certainly break an axle that way.

I also think that liquid in the tires is less stressful on the gears and hydraulics of a hydrostatic transmission. Accelerating and braking the liquid can move and rotate unlike the "flywheel effeffect" of a solid weight.

I think the physics is in favor of the weights over the fluid. The weights are placed in the center of rotation so much of the stress they cause is MUCH LESS rotational, its just the forward/reverse momentum. Fluid filled tires have the fluid further from the center of rotation and when you stop all of the force moves forward/continues in the direction of rotation causing a shock load. 

For example: Spin around in circles very fast with your arms outstretched and then try to stop quickly (fluid). Then do the same thing with your arms tucked near your body (weights). This isnt an exact replica as the fluid stays fairly stationary at the bottom of the tire, but it gets you an idea without the extra complexity. 

That's not to say that the horse cant handle it, but the fluid does provide more stress.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

I will be doing wheel weights and suitcase weights, but that's solely because I can remove them easier.

KC9KAS

I have some filled tires, and I have some cast iron weights.

Both work well. From what I have read, weight on the tire or in the tire is much easier on the axles and bearings and pretty much all moving parts compared to weight "hanging" on the tractor.

brandonozz

I do run filled tires on some of my tractors and don't see a need to use a pump to fill them.  I installed a bulkhead fitting with a rubber gasket into the cap of one of the gallon jugs and just moved it from bottle to bottle getting the fluid into the tires.  Used a 4' hose from the bottle to the tire and kept the bottle turned on its side sitting on a table above the tire.  Supprisingly, the fluid ran down the hose filling the tire while the air in the tire/tube bubbled out of the tire and back into the bottle.  A little slow but worked just fine - maybe 5 minutes a bottle.

alswagg

My loader has a dedicated backhoe option. I have also installed power steering. the backhoe weighs in at 1030lbs. But still sometimes when carrying a load of rock in the front bucket it get a little tipsy. I am working on a pallet fork rack for the loader. The bucket is very easy to remove and I see many times a set of forks would be handy.

alswagg

As for pumping the antifreeze I use a fresh water pump like we use in boats and RVs Simply pull the shader valve from the valve stem and slip a hose over the stem and pump one gallon at a time. The gravity way would also work nice too.

alswagg

I still think the rotational resistance is much less with liquid verses a solid. The liquid in the tires take up 90% of the mass not only on the bottom of the tire but nearly completely encompassed the entire cavity. Upon braking the tire and wheel can stop but the liquids can still rotate inside.

Stigian

I used to run filled tires on my 312-8, the amount of extra traction it gave was amazing :thumbs:

cheesegrader

I have the ags on my loader filled with Rimguard, and have an additional #88 of weights bolted on each rim.  I ALMOST never need the weight box with this set-up, which is nice, because the loader is long enough to present some problems moving in tight spaces, and an extra "16 of weight box on the back end only makes things worse.

My other tractors have bolt-on weights only.  It is nice to be able to take the weight off for the tractors that run on the grass in the summer.

I don't think the wear issues differ much between fluid filled tires or Weights on the rim, although I would think that torque from a spinning, fixed weight would be higher than torque from rotating fluid.    Physics gurus feel free to chime in here.  At least the load in those setups is on the ground.  

Weight boxes hanging off the frame are another story.  I have always wondered if that setup would damage the rear bearings over time.

• Like 2

857 horse

MY ADVISE IS.....

PUT THEM IN THE BOX'S I WILL SEND YOU

GET THEM OUT OF THE GARAGE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE..

I WILL TAKE IT FROM THERE.....

YOU MIGHT THANK ME LATER..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PROBABLY NOT !!!

• Like 1

alswagg

What????

What????

alswagg

I can't read or understand what you just posted? Script post are very difficult to comprehend.

• Like 1