608KEB

mower deck wheels hitting rear tractor wheels

608KEB

I have a 42" mower deck #78345 SD the wheels are rubbing against the rear tires of my 95 520H.... What can I do to fix this

post-5623-0-83228700-1429157472_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-94718400-1429157492_thumb.jp

clem

I am also curious how a 42" deck will work on a 520 without a different offset on the rear wheels, or something along those lines.

daveoman1966

Are you sure you have the deck mount correctly? The gauge wheels should NOT be that close to the tires. I have seen many times where the deck LOOKS like it is on right, but not quite. There is a 'YOKE' on the front round bar of the mower deck (that fits in the mid tach-o-matic hitch) and that yoke MUST straddle a small round cross bar (about 1/4" dia)in order to stabilize the deck and keep it from drifting forward / backward. (If hung correctly, that YOKE should be tilted forward just a bit.) You should also look at the main lift bar under the tractor...that it is in the correct hole of the lift mechanism of the mower deck. This is almost impossible to explain...will try to send a couple of manual pics. I use the word YOKE.... The manual calls it a FORK.

post-1200-0-49228400-1429159687_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-30950700-1429159708_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-01015400-1429159719_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-23185100-1429160074_thumb.jp

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

MalMac

This is a problem with the 42's on the 520's with the larger 10:50 wheels. Couple of solutions are to go with a thinner deck wheel, switch rear tractor wheels with 9:50's or 8:50's. You can also try and find a longer deck wheel bolt to extend the wheel out farther. I have had this problem and could not find longer deck wheel bolts. I suppose you could form up some kind of adaptor. But the farther you get that deck wheel out the more leverage it will have against the deck. What the repercussions would be I am not sure. I actually for a temporary fix, shaved some of the wheel down. So far it's working fine until I can make a little longer bolts and try that.

mid60's

I've never owned a 520 but was wondering. Assuming it is mounted correctly, is it possible to drill another hole and move the deck wheels forward? Just wondering.

• Like 1

MalMac

Not sure if there's room for another hole. Never really checked. Be interesting if Toro ever posted a service bulletin about this, and I will say again the deck is mounted right it's the larger 10:50 tires that causes the problem.

Racinbob

I've never owned a 520 but was wondering. Assuming it is mounted correctly, is it possible to drill another hole and move the deck wheels forward? Just wondering.

I just took a look at mine. This just might work. There's about an inch or room in front of the right wheel and virtually unlimited on the left. Moving them would affect the adjustment but it probably could be adjusted back to where it should be.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

It appears that you have two more notches in the Height-of-Cut lever. Raising the deck will move the wheels further away from the tire. It will leave the grass 1/2" higher. Strange how there is no mention of the 520-H 23x10.50-12 tires interfering in the manual.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

Racinbob

That's true with the axle bolt mounted where it's at. But what mid60's is saying is to drill and tap another hole for the axle bolts. The middle position is what I mow at and the bar the axle mounts to isn't that far off from horizontal. Drilling a hole a little closer to the deck will effectively raise the wheel a little, more so in the higher settings as the axle bar swings down more. So with the wheel higher in the same position the adjuster is in the deck itself will be lower. It will probably need to be adjusted to bring the front of the deck down a little. It might even be enough to wher you would want to set the adjuster one more notch back (higher) to get the same mowing height it has now. Just a thought. My 42" has 9.50's behind it so I won't be trying it. :)

608KEB

Thanks for the ideas. I will check first to see if I can adjust to move deck foward. 2nd I will drill a new holes for the deck wheels. If first idea doesnt work.That should work. I haven't used this deck yet. I'll check it for level. I'll report back with the result

Edited by 608KEB

608KEB

I moved the deck wheels ahead. 3/4" right side and 1 1/4" left side. I had to make lengths different. I couldn't go no more than 3/4 " on right. 3/4" on left side was not far enough. So I went to 1 1/4". To make it even I used a level surface. The left side hole I drilled is maybe 1/16" higher than the other side. It does sit even.

post-5623-0-09643800-1429985472_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-00672500-1429985495_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-43309400-1429985519_thumb.jp

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 1

Racinbob

Glad that worked out for you. :handgestures-thumbsup:

gwest_ca

There is not a 42" side discharge deck listed for the 1995 520-H. Rear discharge only. How are they different?

Garry

wh5208speed

There is not a 42" side discharge deck listed for the 1995 520-H. Rear discharge only. How are they different?

Garry

The 42" RD deck wheels are set wider than the 42" SD. The Toro brochure lists the following decks available for the 520: 42" Rear Discharge, 48" Side Discharge, and 60" Side Discharge. The only reason they did not list it is because the wider 10.50 tires and the wider offset of the rims. If you have a set of tires and rims that came off the 300 or 400 series the 42" side discharge deck would work fine.

Thad (Ohio)

• Excellent 1

608KEB

Update on the 520H and 42" SD deck. The gage wheels were still rubbing against rear tires. I made some brackets and welded them on. It works fine now.

IMG_20150723_125808_362.jpg

IMG_20150723_125758_739.jpg

• Like 3

PaulC

nice :wh: improvement you made there :handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 1

keefer66

i know ,old topic but i had same problem . i used a coupling nut and a short bolt for each side to move wheel out further than original

wheel horse 42 inch deck mod.jpg

• Like 3

Lee1977

10.50 tires will cause the problem with the 42" deck. I have a newer 42" deck I put on my C-120 with 10.50 tires on 7" rims and thery rub. I'll try Keefer66 idea with a generous applaction of Blue Locktite.

• Like 1

skippy1969

I had the same issue,I did the same this as Keefer66 before I seen this thread.

I think it will work good.

WH656

interesting post timing.  I am having  this and multiple problems on my thread just posted.  Hopefully I will solve them without a customization as my tractor has original specs.

keefer66

the reason for the nut next to bolt head , was i didn't have anything to fix threads on bolt after cutting it down , so i used the old nut as a spacer

Lee1977

I fixed mine took the 42" deck off and put a 48' deck on.