oldhorse2

c-120 Hydrostatic Trans (61-12KSO2)

oldhorse2

Yesterday afternoon I decided to check the oil level in my transmission. When I removed the dip stick I noticed that part of the lower half was missing (about 3" below the seal, including the part with level markings). I have no idea how this happened. However, checking the level has always been a pain as it's necessary to pass the stick up thru a hole in the plate below the seat. Returning the stick is even more difficult, and it's easy to miss the top of the fill pipe when done in a dark garage in the winter. Perhaps a miss caused the tip to break off. I inserted a magnet down thru the fill pipe into the oil compartment, but failed to retrieve anything.

There's a chance that the broken piece didn't land inside the Trans. case, but a search failed to locate it. Given the amount of snow I plowed this winter, it could be anywhere if not inside. If necessary I could remove one half of the case and look for it, but am not anxious to do so if not necessary.

Questions:

(1) Do you think that the broken piece of the metal blade could cause trouble if left in inside?

(2) Might the magnitized strainer have trapped it before damage was done? Can this be checked without pulling apart the case? 

(3) After resolving the above, I'll attempt to find a replacement dip stick, but if not successful I'll build one. Do you know how long  the blade be below the seal?

Thanks - Bill

can whlvr

well im sure you don't want to hear this but if it were me I would split her,i doubt it would make its way past the strainer but you don't want it going through the gears,if it hasn't already,depends on how heavy the piece is,its probally settled on the bottom,but id get her out because if it happens to me then the worse will happen,ive had a couple of diff bolts loose their nut and go against some gears,i had to replce a couple of gears,so for the cost of a gasket and some fresh oil,go for it

smoreau

Not all sunstrands had strainers. I highly dought that will make it to the pump and most likely just sitting I the bottom off the case. You should get it out, but it may never do any damage. It could have ran through the gears a time or two, but if it did that it would already done damage to the axle. If that's the case, go to a tractor swap meat and pick up another sunstrand axle. They are about the cheapest one to get used. Last fey I sold I only got $20 for them.