caddisman

Drive Belt tension Problems

caddisman

I have a 8 speed 14HP Wheel Horse and can't get the drive belt tight. When the tractor peddle is released, the tractor moves really slow. I have a new belt and tried to install it but it has the same results as the old belt. Hopefully someone can look at the attached pictures and send me in the right direction.  Thank you, Anthonypost-5918-0-85997100-1428847049_thumb.jppost-5918-0-85917100-1428847083_thumb.jppost-5918-0-95259100-1428847098_thumb.jppost-5918-0-01259200-1428847120_thumb.jp

WH nut

The belts isn't suppose to be tight. With the clutch released it will be snug but not tight.  What belt are you using, by the looks of the picture the belt is shot

woodchuckfarmer

Shaker engine mounts don't look good either. Lets the engine move .

caddisman

The belt that is currently on is worn. I also tried a new  WH7478 belt and got the same results. I could barely get the belt on and was really tight going on. I'm pretty sure that is the right belt. Even with the new belt on, its still slips and seems to have a lot of slack.  Thanks, Anthony

caddisman

I wish I knew what the shaker engine mount is. Is it the mounting plate or bolts for the engine? Thanks, Anthony

gwest_ca

7478 belt is for hydro transmission models and is 84.22 in. long.

You need a 81.95 in. belt #7473 for the 8-speed trans.

Garry

Here is an original parts list

Good service manual that covers many models and much applies to many years

• Like 1

kudzu3

Is it a slipping belt, or could it be another problem? Trans, clutch pulley, missing or weak spring maybe? :eusa-think:

caddisman

Thank you all. Garry, once again I think you are correct. You have helped answer questions of mine in the past and I really believe you are correct on this one as well. You have confirmed what I suspected. The 7478 belt is too long and I need the 7473. Thanks Garry and to all that replied.  Anthony

• Like 2

Lagersolut

I wish I knew what the shaker engine mount is. Is it the mounting plate or bolts for the engine? Thanks, Anthony

If you look at the plate your engine sitting on it has  4 rubber mounts that cushion the ( shaker ) plate to the frame - after 30-40 years they dry rot, crack etc and become weak allowing the engine to move .

They're still available, but they're not cheap, off the top of my head the last set I bought thinking  ran 25-30 bucks each  .

caddisman

Thank you sir,

I will check them out to see if they need replacing. I am pretty confident the belt I have is incorrect.

Thanks, Anthony