stevebo

What's in His Mirror ???

wh500special

Thank T-MO.  Darn thing is upright on my phone.  

Drove it on the trailer.  First time I rode that sucker in at least a decade.  

• Like 1

T-Mo
4 hours ago, wh500special said:

Thank T-MO.  Darn thing is upright on my phone.  

Drove it on the trailer.  First time I rode that sucker in at least a decade.  

Even got your dad into this photo op.

stevebo

I sold this nice 520 HC to a fellow member's son (soon to be a member) today. 520 HC with 60" deck. Great meeting the "Ray's" today. Good luck with it!

IMG_6144.JPG

IMG_6149.JPG

IMG_6157.JPG

IMG_6159.JPG

• Like 1

grinchsr
On 7/15/2017 at 8:42 PM, stevebo said:

I sold this nice 520 HC to a fellow member's son (soon to be a member) today. 520 HC with 60" deck. Great meeting the "Ray's" today. Good luck with it!

Great thread idea Steve and happy we were able to contribute to it!  Also thanks much for the hospitality and for the tour of your amazing shop.  I'm looking forward to shaving time off my mowing time so I can free up time for my true love....John Deere collecting! ;)

Ray Jr. (my father should change his password)

Edited by grinchsr

grinchsr

Don't worry boys I took my son out back and kicked his butt!!   :deadhorse::auto-ambulance::D

• Like 1

stevebo

Another one down the road to an unlikely buyer:ph34r:

IMG_9531.jpg

IMG_9532.jpg

IMG_9534.jpg

IMG_9536.jpg

IMG_9538.jpg

IMG_9540.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??

Nice Stevebo...... I was drooling big time over that one .... good to see it went to a good home...:handgestures-thumbupright:

stevebo

I am sure that some pictures will show up here of it with the new shoes on it. Probably tonight.... 

AMC RULES
10 hours ago, WHX12 said:

.... good to see it went to a good home...:handgestures-thumbupright:

...at least, for a minute.  :rolleyes:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

stevebo

Another one down the road. I picked this one up last week and had buyer's remorse. Not because of the machine just the fact I have too many. This one sold at a push which I am fine with. Just wanted to see it go to a better home. 

IMG_9569.jpg

IMG_9571.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:scratchead: Often wondered why you don't have a loading dock there. 

Sarge

Is that a Honda.....pickup ? Those are about as unexpected as Alfa Romeo building an SUV....lol . I see they did upgrade the chassis - but I'd be nervous loading an iron GT in the back..

Sarge

stevebo
7 hours ago, Sarge said:

Is that a Honda.....pickup ? Those are about as unexpected as Alfa Romeo building an SUV....lol . I see they did upgrade the chassis - but I'd be nervous loading an iron GT in the back..

Sarge

Yup it is a Honda. 

• Like 1

Sarge

I know most owners would never treat them like a true pickup truck and starting hauling some serious weight on a regular basis , but I'd really wonder how well that unibody chassis would hold up over time , not to mention the lightweight drive line . Same with some models of the new Jeeps - primarily front wheel drive with rear wheel assist and no true frame....scares me . I suppose the Honda is more along the lines of an updated El Camino vehicle and should be treated as such , although those old Chevy/Fords were quite tough for what they were at the time . Everything is moving toward the popular SUV market but the way they are designing them is all about fuel mileage and cup holders - they are quickly losing the Utility part of their heritage and just becoming taller cars or minivans on steroids . Worst part is how they are driven by most of their owners - pushing them like a sports car without considering what they weigh - seeing a lot of rear-end accidents lately and looking around all of them have a ton of brake dust on their wheels from hard use on the brakes . Guess I never understood that market - there isn't very much room in most of them in comparison to their outside dimensions but I know their owners prefer how they sit higher and offer a better view of the surroundings - I get that part . Have had to work on a few for friends and relatives - their components don't impress me one bit , especially the suspension components and drive line . SIL's last little Equinox had a rear drive shaft failure - that one was over $900 in parts alone for stuff that belonged in something much lighter . Don't even get me started on the unit type wheel bearings...ugh .

Sarge

• Like 1

stevebo

This one went to a good home today.

IMG_9585.jpg

IMG_9604.jpg

IMG_9610.jpg

IMG_9614.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9625.jpg

• Like 2

Aldon

E91E1381-B474-4F66-9DBB-91BC81202E60.jpeg.cd79fe27bae7669f71c5e07b7569e45e.jpeg115872E1-9CAD-4FDB-A145-9FD6585B6193.jpeg.51a16c81f771629f5510e22c7e579fbb.jpeg66C7EBC3-1BB9-41B9-BA4B-D16EA2E212B3.jpeg.823d7f9db2c0ec6bb87d0a18b55e1c02.jpeg77D52C4A-7DFF-48F9-8D50-158D2FF1487D.jpeg.029072a9fec39f0293b42f18fa29c08e.jpeg

And another is given up for adoption. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Aldon

One more out for adoption. One more on return trip.

708B8CC0-3E5C-4533-B961-C5F76B3C54C6.jpeg.3bf58cc3fb37ab11e8a5f0783315a36a.jpeg7CAB368B-6F14-4014-9257-4FE951914570.jpeg.d219f26739b47447e2a4bd8c9e54eb0f.jpeg

• Like 3

Aldon

Last one(I still have 3) is now headed to new home.

now the return 1DA4F2B1-F1E7-4F06-B098-5CC582291ED1.jpeg.1aeb335605f7d5ae9be4981427e87254.jpeg2B2E2E4E-8679-4E92-AAE0-66D53DDCB04C.jpeg.3b995f1ad80f6ef9f88123e542210870.jpegleg

• Like 2

wh500special
On 11/5/2017 at 8:51 AM, Sarge said:

I know most owners would never treat them like a true pickup truck and starting hauling some serious weight on a regular basis , but I'd really wonder how well that unibody chassis would hold up over time , not to mention the lightweight drive line . Same with some models of the new Jeeps - primarily front wheel drive with rear wheel assist and no true frame....scares me . I suppose the Honda is more along the lines of an updated El Camino vehicle and should be treated as such , although those old Chevy/Fords were quite tough for what they were at the time . Everything is moving toward the popular SUV market but the way they are designing them is all about fuel mileage and cup holders - they are quickly losing the Utility part of their heritage and just becoming taller cars or minivans on steroids . Worst part is how they are driven by most of their owners - pushing them like a sports car without considering what they weigh - seeing a lot of rear-end accidents lately and looking around all of them have a ton of brake dust on their wheels from hard use on the brakes . Guess I never understood that market - there isn't very much room in most of them in comparison to their outside dimensions but I know their owners prefer how they sit higher and offer a better view of the surroundings - I get that part . Have had to work on a few for friends and relatives - their components don't impress me one bit , especially the suspension components and drive line . SIL's last little Equinox had a rear drive shaft failure - that one was over $900 in parts alone for stuff that belonged in something much lighter . Don't even get me started on the unit type wheel bearings...ugh .

Sarge

How did I not see

this sooner?!

I discounted the Honda initially, but they really are all the truck many (most?) people need.  A pretty impressive vehicle all around. 

I’m a fan, but I’m biased because I bought one in November to replace my f250.  I’ve not yet and don’t plan to beat on it, but it handles my 3000 lb boat perfectly.   And it has hauled what I’ve needed so far without a whimper. 

True, they are a unibody with a front wheel drive primary platform, but you’d be surprised at their real capabilities.  And nothing drives or rides as nice as they do that still has a bed on the back.  The four wheel independent suspension goes a long way in handling and ride.  

The tailgate opens conventionally or like a door to access the under bed trunk.  Like an old station wagon used to.  I do worry about the single tailgate support cable though when loading a tractor...it just seems like asking for trouble.  But the gate is rated for a substantial live load, so I’m not expecting troubles.  

They are only rated for 5000 lb towing.  But the almost 1600 lb payload rating bests many of the current crop of body on frame half ton crew cabs and many of the midsizers.  Most Trucks are just so heavy these days that there isn’t much room between unladen curb weight and GVWR.  

They fit a piece of plywood flat in the bed between the wheel wells and - in their range - are capable.  The inner bed is all fiberglass, so is very tough and resilient.    Like almost all popular trucks, the bed is short short short.  I think only 5’4”.  

The platform is shared with the pilot and odyssey, but there are many unique and strengthened components.  And the platform was deliberately designed to accept the duty cycle of a pickup truck. Honda is very conservative, so there is a lot of faith in their ratings.  

I researched a ton when trying to figure out what to replace my old truck with.  Kept coming back to this thing even though I thought the whole concept of an awd, unibody pickup was idiocy at first.

It took a lot of reading and cross shopping to get myself past the “that’s not a real truck” convention.    But looking at it from an elegance of problem solving perspective, it was the best choice for my current needs.  

I have a 30 mile one way commute to and from work.  I’m averaging 23 mpg so far over 12000 miles.  That may not seem impressive, but it’s a real pen-and-paper 23 mpg, not from a trip computer and not cherry picking data.  I’m expecting it to improve with warmer weather. 

The only things that come close to or beat that are the diesel Colorado/canyon and diesel ram 1500.   Fuelly.com is a great resource that truly normalizes real world mileage owners get and smooths the statistical anomalies. 

My last tank was 26.1 mpg.  This tank will be less since I’ve done some towing on it.  

My Ford Edge was 22 mpg over the last 7 months I owned it. Vw diesel was 44 mpg over 82000 miles.  F250 was 15 mpg. I keep a lot of spreadsheets.  

The Honda’s aren’t for everybody and they’d be a poor choice for a contractor or as a serious, everyday work truck.  And they aren’t going to tow a big trailer, but they don’t pretend or make you pay a penalty in everyday usability.   

Honda is really on to something with these things, but their modest sales attests to them not being a popular choice.   The soft styling and general lack of machismo doesn’t help.  Vw is probably going to put their version on the road at some point, so mAybe we’ll see the start of a trend.  

Probably not.  

Anyway, I wanted to defend my ego 🤪

i really enjoy reading your posts and opinions sarge, so please keep them coming!

I need to stick a wh in the back of mine to test it out fully!

steve

• Like 2

Sarge

I'm not really knocking on the Honda - they have always built good quality components and have a proven track record. My complaint is more about the utility/truck sector moving into more car-like statistics and watching people expect them to handle a true truck rating far more often than what was intended. I've looked much closer under one of those Honda truck/cars - the components aren't too bad, but if pushed will start costing some serious coin to repair them. Even half ton trucks now are going to independent suspensions - my Dodge has the links/coils under it but still uses a true rear axle, thankfully. It will easily hit 22+mpg on a tank average in the summer, not bad for a 395hp V8 that is rated to pull 9,000lbs with the right hitch. Honestly, the mid-market between wagons and pickup trucks needed a push - Honda did that but the public just hasn't accepted it. I agree the styling/overall look could have been much better, but it could have been worse. If Jeep ever actually releases the pickup platform again I'm sure it's going to be a direct competitor to the Honda and will most likely use a similar platform design. 

From my years on the road, and working as a mechanic I'm pretty good at identifying suspension/driveline parts found along the right of way/highways. Since we've ignored the highways in this country for so long, I'd be a bit leery of component strength as the manufacturer's try to attain the EPA mandated fuel mileage averages that are coming into effect soon - it's already looking like a train wreck. The number of broken shocks, bushings, brackets/springs I'm seeing is a bit scary - some of those parts are important to safety. Local tire shops will tell you just how busy they are performing 4-wheel alignment jobs on the smaller SUV's these days - appointments around here are 30+days out on average. Our roads are beating the brake system parts off of heavy semi's, not to mention bending and beating the snot out of these lightweight little boxes that everyone has grown so fond of in the last 10yrs. Something has to give, we need to either fix our infrastructure or start driving tanks, lol. Your ego is rigidly intact - no worries there, just keep your eyes peeled and avoid those motorcycle-swallowing potholes....

I'm seriously considering keeping the old Land Cruiser - it's built to handle this stuff but I'm going need a lot of new parts myself if I drive it much. 

Sarge

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Recently I discovered this thread. Each time a Wheel Horse leaves, I try to take a photo for remembrance. This is a photo series of my three 5xi on the day that they each left. Goodbye to Palladin, the 523Dxi, that left the end of January; Poncho, the 520xi that left the beginning of May; and Cisco, the 518xi (and my first Wheel Horse that brought me to Red Square) that left this morning. They were great tractors for me, and I am sure will be for their new owners. Thus ends the 5xi era at Heartgrove, our home in Maryland.

I need to change Dillon's plate, as it is now down in Virginia.  :)

Palladin

DSC02279.JPG.da99aa5d8785ede4b044a70b77f667ce.JPG

WP_20180129_004.jpg.35ce50b7fa59e91430ecb5fb2b2d78be.jpg

Poncho

DSCN2925.JPG.e67f1a436069ac2e7714b0aa18b1167a.JPG

WP_20180501_001.jpg.b6f1a0b1b372432d8834b558a29b535e.jpg

WP_20180501_003.jpg.7118c0858506bf9552a5181f1618254d.jpg

Cisco

WP_20180512_001.jpg.3a86138a0d3b3dd06c716174d94315a8.jpg

WP_20180512_002.jpg.6789032947447b0c37627b108867e64c.jpg

WP_20180512_005.jpg.798fe6463cdfcbb799f2cfe5f3bbd1ec.jpg

• Excellent 1

stevebo

Did some horse tradin with Tony (Docwheelhorse) today. Good deal Tony. 

IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5225.jpg

IMG_5227.jpg

IMG_5230.jpg

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

After letting my 523Dxi go, I found that it was a bit challenging to keep a small diesel that was miserly on fuel in the stable. It is now on its way to a fellow RS member in MA. Transportation was by a uShip provider.

DSC08731.JPG.658f8031c98ff662d96ed87c55d3f1fd.JPG

DC-105_leaving.jpg.f079223e1e4cb9f3b6712283287d2441.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

AMC RULES

Wonder what that U-Ship cost him to move that tractor?

AMC RULES

Had a nice visit from:rs:member Nhaydt92 who drove up from PA today...

to help me out and take the :wh: 1056 off my hands today, so, I'm down to just 35 of 'em now. 

20181021_111357.jpg.7d7c0395d8b6dbd5166f4f36e0eeb074.jpg20181021_111405.jpg.0fd72d30c87a38ecb47a646598464784.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1