Aussie

In my shed - 520H

Aussie

I have amassed a collection of five 520H Wheel Horses along with a 312A, 416-8 and a couple of vertical shaft riding mowers. Three of the 520's are the later swept axle models with the other two being early straight axles.   I purchased the first one about three years ago and paid too much for it, but just had to have one, and they aren't easy to find in Australia - although I have seen quite a few for sale since. My first 520 was in generally good condition, although it had a significant transmission oil leak and the seat was wobbly due in part to a broken tab on the upstand. A 60" deck in good condition came on the tractor.

post-3437-0-39448700-1428662742_thumb.jp

Inspired by some of the restorations on Red Square and my earlier rebuild of my 416-8 I decided to try and refurbish it.  I started by completely dismantling the machine and had  lot of the parts powder coated. I had a short thread in "Transmissions and transaxles" a couple of years ago when I split the transmission and checked the internals as well as replaced the seals. The bearings, gears and differential were all still perfect. The oil leak was found to have been caused by the oil temp sensor probe which had split.

651th1.jpg

After I got the transmission back together I refitted it to the frame and the project was put aside. I just looked back, and was surprised to see it was two years ago. I did bits and pieces but not a lot of progress was made in between. However, over the past couple of weekends I have been able to make some headway.

Frame assembly commenced.

e1bts2.jpg

Transmission nearly ready to refit.

rgyt7c.jpg

...more to come.

• Like 9

AMC RULES

Share the link to your original trans thread?    :scratchead:  

Aussie

This is how it has been sitting for the past couple of years, on a stand and covered up.

2m5fnkk.jpg

v5k4t3.jpg

288m7ms.jpg

More recently I have repaired and refitted the wiring. I have fitted marine sealed fuse holders for the 30 and 25a circuits and just need to get one more for the 15a lighting circuit. I also fitted an aftermarket tacho as the original wasn't working and a transmission temperature gauge in lieu of the vacuum gauge which had broken mounting pins.

2drevk8.jpg

I also fitted a pair of four stud trailer hubs to the front axle, they fitted straight onto the stock stubs without any modifications at all.

29fyxoh.jpg

Next I bolted on some wheels and took the rolling chassis off the stand.

• Like 6

Aussie

not a lot there Craig.

• Like 1

Aussie

Today I lifted the front up and made sure all of the bolts underneath are tight. I also fitted a couple of extra earth wires as with everything powdercoated earthing can be a problem. Where the console bolts to the frame the frame is threaded, I have also put a locknut on the back side of all 10 of these bolts, which is probably unnecessary, but I can be sure it is all secure. Fitted the engine mounting plate and lowered it back down.

219b609.jpg

Now I was ready to fit the engine. I decided on a repower for this build and purchased a 23hp Briggs Vanguard kit from the SEW. It only took about 5 days to get to me and I am very happy with it. The tip of the exhaust is slightly damaged, but I can straighten that out. The engine bolted straight in onto the original mounting plate and the wiring harness just clipped together, it couldn't have been any easier.

n4cwms.jpg

34zdmzc.jpg

ngey42.jpg

That is where I got up to today. The front wheels are temporary off a Bolens, I will get a pair of rims powdercoated to match the rears which have 24 x 12 x 12 tyres. I also have to get the transmission input pulley refinished.  Next thing is to connect throttle and choke cables, make up battery leads and then I should be able to fire it up.

I have a Caswell Black Oxide cold plating kit which I haven't tried yet. I am going to coat the bushes for the transmission drive linkage to see how well it works.

• Like 6

sgtsampay

Looking great. Can't wait to hear that new briggs fire up and mow witb a 60in..

Aussie

I have a heap of photos of the transmission rebuild which I am happy to post if any-one is interested in what is inside one of these hydro rear ends. I also have some of the Eaton 1100 refurb that I did on this machine, likewise if there is any interest.

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

I have a heap of photos of the transmission rebuild which I am happy to post if any-one is interested in what is inside one of these hydro rear ends. I also have some of the Eaton 1100 refurb that I did on this machine, likewise if there is any interest.

Yea, please post them up to your old transmission thread. I would love to have those for reference in case I ever need to get into one of my Eatons!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Ditto.   :text-+1:

Plus, the source of your front trailer hubs too. 

:thanks:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Aussie

Craig

the hubs came from eBay seller ATVUnlimited. I paid $29.05 for a pair complete with bearings, wheel nuts and caps. I got 4 on 4" pattern. All you need from the wheel horse are the inner bearing spacers on the axle and the outer nut and washer. I put an extra outer washer in mine to centre the cotter pin in the castellated nut.

I will post the trans and eaton rebuild photos when I get a chance. I had some trouble yesterday as there was a glitch in the Red Square data base, and also need to work out a faster way to upload images as I am using tiny pic and they take about five minutes each to load.

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

Craig

the hubs came from eBay seller ATVUnlimited. I paid $29.05 for a pair complete with bearings, wheel nuts and caps. I got 4 on 4" pattern. All you need from the wheel horse are the inner bearing spacers on the axle and the outer nut and washer. I put an extra outer washer in mine to centre the cotter pin in the castellated nut.

I will post the trans and eaton rebuild photos when I get a chance. I had some trouble yesterday as there was a glitch in the Red Square data base, and also need to work out a faster way to upload images as I am using tiny pic and they take about five minutes each to load.

try using photobucket, you should be able to upload an intire album at once

Aussie

thanks C101, I'll give it a go. Didn't get much done today except the bushes are black oxide coated. I would rate the results as adequate rather than spectacular, but it was quick and easy to do. I will take a couple of photos tomorrow.

Spent most of the day turning over a couple of tons of soil for the garden and wondering why I haven't built my front end loader yet!

• Like 1

Racinbob

Glad you're back at it Aussie. That's looking incredible. :bow-blue:

Aussie

Thanks Racinbob, it is great to finally find some time to be able to work on it. I'm not sure where the last two years went though. Looking forward to a long holiday from work at the end of May, which I intend to spend in my shed working on tractors.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I know how that goes. I'm retired but still my Suburban 400 rebuild has taken a back seat to other projects. I sorta set a goal to have it done by the time the big show gets here but I don't see that happening now.

Are Wheel Horses as rare as I perceive them to be down there?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Aussie, real nice job on it. That new engine looks like it fits like a glove.

Glenn

Sparky

The new motor looks sweet!!

Mike.......

Aussie

Thank you.  I think the Vanguard will be a great upgrade. There is a lot more room around the engine than the Onan, especially at the back in front of the console. Today I hooked up the throttle, the old cable fitted straight on. I found a battery earth lead and fitted that as well. Started on the fuel line and the drive pulley. I need to cut a key for the pulley.

Yesterday I cleaned the transmission linkage bushes (and a couple others that were laying around) on the wire wheel on the bench grinder.

11b8av9.jpg

Then I soaked them in phosphoric acid, washed down and dipped in black oxide. They came out ok but next time I might try warming up the solution, as they say that penetrates better on harder steels.

adi0bt.jpg

Today I bolted the transmission linkage back together.

sgswft.jpg

2qxut8z.jpg

Not a lot of progress but the little fiddly bits take time. I also learned that you should fit the throttle bracket to the dash before fitting the wiring harness.

Racinbob - there are many more of the later Toro models around than earlier Wheel Horses, but they are by no means common. The 3 / 4 / 500 series were the first models sold in Australia, I have never seen any earlier than these over here.

• Like 4

Catmanii

Looking really nice and I sure like the hubs which is giving me ideas. Can't afford the engine, but the hubs might be in reach.

953 nut

:woohoo: â€‹  Quality work, everything looks great. The roll around scissors jack you are using looks great, is it home made or where did you buy it?   :text-coolphotos: 

Aussie

The roll around scissor lift is a chinese cheapy from evil bay, can't remember who the vendor was but it was advertised for motorcycle use and it does the job. It nearly, but not quite, fits under the frame when fully lowered (just need to jack the back end up a bit). I think a complete tractor might be too much for it but it feels stable and easy to push around with the engine out.

520H Owner

HI Nice work on the 520-h. I am looking to do the same repower with the vanguard engine.  Do you have any pics of the job completed? I am interested to see how the muffler looks as I have a snow cab on mine and if the muffler sticks out from the body too far it will be against the vinyl snow cab. Any way you can get a pic with the tape measure showing the distance the muffler sticks out? 

Also were you able to get a work around for tach, temp and vacuum gauges to get them working? 

Appreciate any help on this thanks...

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

That is a thing of beauty . Looks like a brand new machine.  I like the front hubs too. 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
44 minutes ago, 520H Owner said:

HI Nice work on the 520-h. I am looking to do the same repower with the vanguard engine.  Do you have any pics of the job completed? I am interested to see how the muffler looks as I have a snow cab on mine and if the muffler sticks out from the body too far it will be against the vinyl snow cab. Any way you can get a pic with the tape measure showing the distance the muffler sticks out? 

Also were you able to get a work around for tach, temp and vacuum gauges to get them working? 

Appreciate any help on this thanks...

Welcome to red square chester, nj....:text-welcomeconfetti:    :wh:

Glenn

520H Owner

Thanks...I have a restored 520-H almost as nice as whats above in the string.  Going back and forth with a new motor option.  Have 1300hrs on my Onan and occasionally I loose a little power and then it comes back.  I purchased another 520-H when I was looking for its two stage blower and by coincidence the owner put in a new Linamar engine OL20.  Same exact engine as the P220G.  Linamar bought the Onan engines and rebranded them.  It only has 220 hrs on the motor and runs really nice.

So have a few options below I am thinking of...

I was thinking of swapping  the Linamar engine it into my 520-h but the guy cut the wiring harness on the motor for some reason and hard wired it to the tractor. So been back and forth with finding a new harness so I can make it an easy clip in and keep it original and nice looking.    Anyone one have an old Onan with the wiring harness that comes out of the engine directly?  I figure if I can get a harness I may just keep the Linamar since everything should be plug and play along with only having 220hrs on it.   There is another option and that is to send in my Onan to these guys who are still rebuilding them.  They use Kohler parts and machine other parts they need.  http://shop.kustomlawnandgarden.com/ONAN-ENGINES-REMANUFACTURED_c5.htm

The other idea is to sell both Onan motors that run mine with 1300hrs and the other with 220hrs along with the original old ONAN block that the Linamar  replaced on the tractor I bought for the blower.

I am liking the idea of something brand new like the 23 hp Vanguard, but not all the gauges will work with it even thought its plug and play motor.  Also my prior concern of the muffler sticking out a little too far for the snow cab... Based on the angle of the exhaust pipe it doesn't do a sweeping 90 degree turn. So likely it sticks out a bit too far.  Which then means I need to get the pipe shortened so it doesn't stick out so far so it doesn't melt my snow cab. Just picky I guess, but would be nice to have a new system that starts easy and has parts readily available.

Appreciate some insights.....Thanks