Theroundhousernr

C-160 8 speed axle tolerance limits

Theroundhousernr

Ok transmission guys.

I finally started work on the C-160 I bought with leaking axle seal. I was expecting the bearing to be shot but I am not sure that it is or if its just wear on the axle that I can not fix without buying a new/used one.

Visually , there is no up or down ( or front to back, tomato, tomatoe)  play in the axle. But I can feel a slight movement in the axle when pulling up or down with my hand. Has to be with in a few thousands of movement. I have not put a dial indicator on it so I have no real numbers for you.

Is this acceptable wear for a 40 year old machine? I have read NO play but is a few thousand consider NO play? I don't plan to use this as my everyday machine , just every now and again.

Thoughts?

Thanks Kyle

pfrederi

Seals are cheap and easy.  I would replace it and see what happens.  Try moving the axle again in a couple months see if it is worse....

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

I think you are fine also...and you know the bearing is getting oil.  :)  It never was a Corvette, just the Cadillac.

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Thanks guys. Another goofy thing I never saw before that you may find interesting. When I bought it, I noticed the hub was loose. Also, I saw red rtv silicone oozing out from the case so I know it's been apart already.

When I pulled the hub, Another key way had been broached in the hub. They also cut another key way in the axle. The weird part was the key way cut in the axle was larger than the key way broached in the hub. Their quarter inch woodruff key was completely mangled from flopping around in there new cut key way in the axle. But the original key way in the axle looks perfect? I have no idea what they where trying to accomplish?! But they went through allot of work doing it.

I'm picking up a new woodruff key tonight and plan to use the original key way. Using a good spare hub and some loctite and calling it a day.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You just never know what some shade tree mechanics come up with.  It makes you wonder what they might have done to their car when something went wrong.  :eusa-think:

Here...hold my beer and watch this.  :)

• Like 1

rmaynard

My question is WHO did the cutting? The average owner (unless you are buckrancher) doesn't have the equipment to broach a keyway. So he would have had to have taken it to a machine shop. Any machine shop that would cut a keyway in the axle a different size than the hub, is not a machine shop that I would trust for any future work.

Theroundhousernr

I would say that it just got worn large from being loose but it's a perfect cut. About 5/16 key way cut in the axle. If I think if it tonight I'll post some pictures

oliver2-44

If you find you axle shaft is worn you might consider putting a "Shaft Sleeve" on it. The are several manufacturers that make a very thing sleeve that can be driven on the worn shaft. Search for "Easy sleeve", Dura Sleeve" , etc. In industrial applications these are typically intended for sleeving worn seal area, I have used them on shafts in old small slow speed gear boxes and a very old diesel injector pump  with good results.

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Well, I lucked out and the new hub fit on nice and tight. Good thing the hub is cast and the axle is harden steel.

Theroundhousernr

Ok, I jumped the gun a little. Both key ways cut in the axle measure .255 of an inch at the bottom of the cut. One was really worn , which was the last one used. Which caused it to measure bigger with my tape measure. Amazing how it wore so even. Now the wore out key way last used starts at 3/4 of an inch from the end of the axle. The key way on the opposite side that is in perfect shape starts at 1/2 an inch from the axle end.

Which one is original? When using the key way that's half inch from the axle end, the set screws marks the very back of the woodruff key.

ac4ac922d7f8e8e026176f197ae52394.jpg

3e39028a2fc3d07f87e2aa632c000c57.jpg

4a128980f4b06492d5a04a782de1714e.jpg

Theroundhousernr

I think I'll wait to put it together till I hear from you guys. I'm afraid the set screw won't make a good connection with the woodruff key in the nicer of the two slots unless I would side the hub out some

stevasaurus

I have a spare #5025 3-speed uni-drive in the garage.  From the end of the axle to the start of the key way is 3/4"  :)

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Thanks for all the answers! The C-160 is back together again and happy with the turn out. Sorry if the post has been confusing. Its hard explaining things sometimes. I ended up using the original keyway in the axle. The tolerance was only a few thousands off so red Loctite did the job for me. Also, used some Loctite on the hub itself. It will have to be heated to remove but I hope I don't have to for a long time.

Apparently , the nicest of the two keyways was the one machined by the previous owner. However, it was machined to close to the axle end and was useless as far as getting the set screw tightened down on it without the hub hanging off the axle. So all this work that the previous owner did was useless. As said earlier, not sure if they put much thought into it but sure put a lot of work into it.

I also put a double seal on the axle , in hopes to be sure it wont leak again with the hub being Loctite down.

7c61ac5d7caa40e41a38eba69b0a62ff.jpg

6fab735035efe9777eb4c077274734ab.jpg

Kyle

Edited by Theroundhousernr
  • Like 1