car

520 lxi owners

car

I'm looking at a 520 lxi with a 52'' deck today. Not sure of hrs as the meter has stop working at under 300 hrs.So at this point I'm guess I'm just asking for good-bad anything I should look for or ask the owner?

car

Challenger

Make note of the ENGINE Model and Serial Number.  Early LXI machines had a trouble prone PLASTIC CAM GEAR (premature wear/failure) Kawasaki engine which was upgraded to a steel cam gear in later builds.   With the engine serial number you will be able to search the web to determine which version engine is in the machine you are looking at. 

Not the end of the world if it has a plastic cam gear, just factor in the cost of repair as as you evaluate the machine and its asking price.

Other than the cam gear, the machines are virtually bullet proof and the liquid cooled Kawasaki is likely, with proper maintenance, a 2000 hour engine.

• Like 1

stevebo

I was going to buy/trade the tractor you are looking at. IMO no brainer to buy it. Good luck-

wh500special

At the price he's got it listed, you shouldn't hesitate. If it was closer, it would be in my garage already.

Things to look for: really nothing unique on the xi's. They're not prone to frame cracking like on the classic series or tractors. Start it, drive it. If everything works, you're good.

Steve

• Like 1

redtractorfan

I currently own one and I can say, it is an absolute beast. I rebuilt my engine at 1000 hours and sealed it all back up. Fresh paint and decals and it looks all but new and runs like new too. I would say with proper maintenance, they will last for thousands of hours. If you have any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask. I've been all through mine and could tell you everything about it in my sleep. Great tractor and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Edited by redtractorfan

car

You're going to think I'm crazy but I changed my mind and I'm just going to keep my 310 for now. I've got it running really good and I plan on holding off on getting another Wheel Horse for now. Thanks for your help.

car