Sign in to follow this  
adventureone

4 Hp kohler flywheel spun key

adventureone

Hi Guys, I have been trying to get this flywheel off, after the attachment blower stop. the flywheel spun the key on the crank shaft. out of time, and will not start again .

Help.

Bill

linen beige

A few days late, but :hide:

For some reason I hadn't seen this post yet. Most of these 4 hp flywheels don't have the threaded holes in them for using a flywheel puller. About the only way to break one loose is to loosen the mounting nut and back it off until it is covering the end threads of the crank. Gently pry against the back side of the flywheel and tap the crankshaft end with a drift made of something softer than the crankshaft. The flywheel locking nut should protect the crankshaft threads from damage. Don't pry or tap any harder than needed to break the flywheel loose or you might shatter the flywheel. Having one person pry the flywheel with even pressure from two sides while a second person does the tapping is best. Unless you have three hands.

rwilson

I simply driller and tapped three 1/4-20 holes and used a standard puller to do the job. I didn't want to risk damaging the flywheel or the backing plate. One warning DO NOT DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE FLYWHEEL. THE COIL IS UNDER THERE AND THEY ARE NOT TO CHEEP. I think if you drill in about 3/8 to 1/2 inch you should be fine.