GT14

Engine Upgrade C-175 Auto

Jnmardister

So I’ve got the shaft taken care of. A buddy of mine is machining a sleeve and key. 

Mounting the motor on or on the other hand... I’ve got it mount with templates I made from wood and I can not for the life of me seem to get the tension on the belt correct. How did you manage to get proper tension? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

bmsgaffer

@GT14 Will have to confirm this, but on most of my horses, the belt tension is actually driven by the spring-tensioner in the rear, so your engine placement just has to be reasonably close and allow the belt to fit within the guard. 

The hydro should be the most forgiving, the 8 speed you will just have to make sure belt placement is in a good spot so it is lifted off the engine pulley with the clutch pushed in, the belt guard should direct the belt properly, but if not you can build some "belt guide tabs" to get it right.

You mentioned K301, what horse are you working on?

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

See pic below for belt guides (one above and left of pulley, one mounted below and right) made of thick wire. This was on a C-165 auto, but you will find similar things on others. 

5af33d646f951_2014-03-3012_35_03.jpg.24583c7e666f249259e4e222ead3838b.jpg

Jnmardister

It’s a 312-8. I think I’m just going to make the mounts with slots to allow translation. Unless one of you has a side fire way to get it right where I need it.

GT14
16 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

@GT14 Will have to confirm this, but on most of my horses, the belt tension is actually driven by the spring-tensioner in the rear, so your engine placement just has to be reasonably close and allow the belt to fit within the guard. 

Yes, engine placement is just for clearance of hood and battery any acc.  Once you have the engine lined up with the transmission pulley you will probably need a new belt. Measure with the transmission engagement lever down (hydro) or clutch out (manual) . Easy way to measure is by cutting an old belt.

Edited by GT14

R. L. Addison

For general info, I asked a factory man why the slippers were not flat on a Sundstrand pump and the response I got was the engine was not run fast enough when unit was in use. I do not remember much more than that of the conversation, but the full throttle speed was stressed for that reason. 

Ron A      dunngawn@hotmail.com