Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

very rare find

rustyoldjunk

while out running the countryside saturday.i stopped by a guys place who buys and sells antique farm tractors.i have never seen him have anything much in the way of garden tractors but my brother mentioned a couple of weeks back that he had some wheel horses in.he had three way in the back in the weeds a 856,a C160 and....i couldnt believe it was sitting there a complete 520 8 speed with deck and original seat.he wasnt home so im going back over there this morning.i was looking for 66-67 long frame parts but this changed my whole direction for now,if i can get the 520 8 bought 66-67 parts will go on the back burner.

Sparky

The 520-8 could be a great find but make sure you hear it run before laying out your hard earned cash for it. If the 20hp Onan twin is shot its big $$ to rebuild. Their also known for loosing a valve seat due to owners letting them get to hot. Bring a battery or jump pack and some starting fluid when ya go back to see it.

Mike........

Brian1045

Bring a battery or jump pack and some starting fluid when ya go back to see it.

Good advice! :banghead:

Raider12

Man I must live in the wrong part of the country. :banghead: My job takes in the back roads and the farm country as well as the city. All I ever find are the green color tractors and some yellow & white ones.

Sounds like a great find, I hope it works out for ya. Even if the engine on the 520-8 has problems. It may worth the purchase for the right money? :USA:

Lets us know what you come with!

BPjunk

The 520-8 is a POWERFULL machine :omg::banghead: ..... ifn's ya' got some thing that can't be moved with a 520-8 ...... ya' better get Caterpillar !!!! :USA:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

bluetuna08

when I bought my 520-h the engine had some issues...mostly electrical though. In my opinion the onan vtwin is a pretty sweet engine and worth a head ache or three.

Its like my dad said if it was easy every one would be doing it...and you dont see a lot of people seeking out the onan's, actually they are purposfully avoiding them. in my opinion the pay off, once the troubles are fixed, is huge.

good luck

rustyoldjunk

well i bought the 520-8 speed and the C160.couldnt pass it up and it wasnt to bad a package deal,besides i figured with only 225 of the 520-8,s made i would be lucky to see another one in person.i will post pics and more later.the 520 has firing issues.it belonged to an 84 yo woman whose grandson sold it for her when it stopped running.they said they went out to start it one day and it just wouldnt fire.i will say this though,i gave about twice for it what a swept forward front axle and spindles brought just a few weeks ago. edit:found out why it was firing,replaced a couple of fuses and it fired right up engine sounds great.the clock is showing 917 hours.

hodge

Any photos? :banghead:

HorseFixer

Very Nice Find! :banghead: :USA:

tasmi01

:USA: Nice find hope the horse stays kickin for a long time> :banghead:

84 400

sounds like a great buy now where are those photos?????????

Can't wait to see pictures!

rustyoldjunk
newkodakpics286Small.jpg

rustyoldjunk

finally,got photobucket to work for me.newkodakpics283Small.jpg

rustyoldjunk
newkodakpics285Small.jpg

rustyoldjunk
newkodakpics288Small.jpg

rustyoldjunk
newkodakpics282Small.jpg

rustyoldjunk
newkodakpics293Small.jpgnewkodakpics294Small.jpg

rustyoldjunk
newkodakpics295Small.jpgnewkodakpics296Small.jpg think im finally getting photobucket figured out.they took this tractor to a local small engine repair shop who simply told them it will cost you serveral hundred dollars to fix.so they parked it.i replaced a couple of fuses and it fired right up.the fuses looked original and were badly corroded.i need to bolt the air cleaner addbly back on it and give it an oil change,then a test ride.

84 400

looks like you got some nice horses there. Thanks for posting the pictures!

rustyoldjunk

im just amazed time after time that wheel horse chose to paint these machines so cheaply.every time i look at another one of these tough old tractors built to last for decades,i just stare at the lack of paint in wonder..

wh500special

Wow Jim, nice find! :USA:

Although I'd love to have a 520-8, I never really "got" the point of that particular model. The 20 HP engine was a torque powerhouse and could probably run a 48" deck though chest-high grass w/o missing a beat. And the tractor had the forward swept axle to accomodate the 60" deck, but w/o a hydraulic or electric lift it was all but impossible to actually lift that sucker off the ground. And it lacked some of the instrumentation and all of the chrome from the 520H.

I wonder what the designed purpose/market was for this tractor that a 416-8 couldn't fill as well? Would probably be a superior loader tractor compared to the 520H, but loaders don't take much power. Would be a great mower with a 60" deck, but the user-friendliness of the hydro/hyd lift on the 520H seems a better match for that task. Would likely be a better tilling machine since the gear drive resists being puched better, but was pricey for that task. Hmmmmm....

Again, love to have one since they are rather unusual but I wonder WHY Toro/WH marketed this model. Perhaps for the rental market? But, I'm not too surprised it wasn't a hot seller.

Wonderful find and I hope you get it chugging away again soon. if you wanna get rid of it, I know this guy... :banghead:

Steve

rustyoldjunk

Steve i was pondering the same thing this morning,why would WH have rolled out 225 of these,im curious.